• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

JW's 1991 240 wagon

Ok. more updates!

I stopped with E85 for a while since the availability in the Netherlands is so bad.... :-( I wasn't much in Germany during the holidays...
Maybe im going to use it again since the price went down a bit so.... :-D

The Bosch LSU 4.2 Sensor for the JAW. From the group buy. thanks!

I fitted a 940 Efan, works great. I used the 962 LH box to control it. only the computer turns the fan on a tad too late, when idling in traffic after a few minutes the temp gauge reaches to 3/4 of the gauge before it kicks in.

A Summit MSD box.... Thanks Fred! :-D

Installed:

1 minute of work to plug it in, really easy. and if it ever fails (like the original MSD (My Spark Disappeared) units like to do i can plug it back to stock config in a few seconds). Before fitting I used some silicone hose to insulate the wiring and i removed the unused magnetic pickup and tach out wires to make the installation a bit cleaner.
The engine runs great with it, seems a bit more torqish, bit better mpg (yet to check).

And a set of spacers! Thanks again Fred! :-D:nod:
23 mm dik, hubcentric! I need to pick up 10 700/900 series wheel nuts to install them...

These should space out the rear wheels a bit, a wider rear-end is nicer, looks much better...

I see a ton of pictures of the parts...when do they go on the car?

Anyone know where I can get a set of those clear corners in the states?

I see a ton of pictures of the parts...when do they go on the car?

Anyone know where I can get a set of those clear corners in the states?
Our corners are clear, we just have an amber reflector behind them that you can pull out.

updates - UPDATES!

OK! update. I always forget to add stuff here.

Too bad i don't have enough time to mount some of the new stuff. This summer i'm going to install a lot and fix some rust etc.

Goodridge stainless steel braided lines, complete with nice stainless steel couplers as well (the normal ones have steel couplers, these are a bit more expensive)

I forgot to mention that I installed the spacers I received from Fredrik back in November after i got a set of 700/900 metric lug nuts. Looks good, rides a bit better too!
It turns out that the tire rubs a bit when i use Virgo's. The steelies for the wintertires didn't have that... click here to see the result!

Temporary JAW installation:

Just to see how it works and what would be a good location for the display. I use it to give LH a NBO2 signal. Works great, mpg a bit better, only downside is that I have to preheat the wideband sensor before i start the car (takes 30 seconds or so). Pretty annoying...

Earlier this month I installed an A cam.

(click on the picture to see more pics of the install in my gallery)
This A cam was originally for the turbo engine but i got really really annoyed by the M cam and swapped the cam anyway. Great upgrade! more power and the low rpm torque is exactly the same....

And I found a nice set of injectors in my mailbox (after I spent some money on the racetronix website :-P)

630 cc/min 4-beam Siemens Deka, Hi-Z. Installed em, filled er up with E85 (very little gas left in the tank..) and started the engine. the JAW showed a lambda value of .72 at idle :omg:
I added a 1KOhm resistor in the MAF signal line and AFRs were looking better and better. After some driving the AFRs were pretty much spot on (cruising .95-1, WOT .85, maybe up to .80 near revlimit). LH ftw :-P

I know, overkill, OVERKILL on a 120-130-ish hp B230F. But This set was bought with the future in mind. The future is turbo (KKK K24 from S60R) with E85.. :-D

I'm saving up for a set of new shocks (thinking of Koni Yellow or Bilstein HD, lemme know what you think!), poly bushings and lowering springs (40 mm front and 20 mm rear). One of the rear shocks is blown, it's leaking oil and making funny noises.

Thanks!

p9263182pt1.jpg

Broken stage one intake side mount, i must be over 250 hp now :-P (hard to see, but its separated on the top, really noticeable while driving). Replaced the transmission mount at the same time i changed the engine mounts.
I ordered a set of diesel mounts at the dealership, but they sold me normal 240 redblock mounts, going to return them asap :grrr:

There was a really nice 940 in the junkyard (sadly), US version, must have been from someone from the local US army base. The car had done only 70K miles and had an overheated engine. the car had a new radiator (wide N/A with A/C 92+), nice Efan as well. Next week im going back to grab the crank pulley, the round tooth timing belt stuff, the new starter and some other small stuff. Nice stuff to add to my engine when it gets +Ted

I fixed the passenger side tailgate hinge wiring, so now i have a working wiper again. Added an original Hella 3rd brake light as well.
Right now the engine runs rough, haven't found the cause yet. The upside is that i haven't spent money on fuel, last time i filled up with E85 was in August.... The bus sucks but it is better than nothing. Spent the money on a set of leftover Bilstein HD's, a brand new set for the front axle for 100 euro (1/3 of the price normally here) :-D

I made a useful piece to do timing belt jobs:

p9213188wl9.jpg

huge mess, nothing out of the ordinary....

p9213192qv3.jpg

(I love TIG welding...)

p9213194tt7.jpg

I must find time to fit all the parts i am collecting :oops:
Right now the 760 needs to be finished first (taking up shop space) and school etc takes a lot of my time...

I'm saving up for a set of new shocks (thinking of Koni Yellow or Bilstein HD, lemme know what you think!), poly bushings and lowering springs (40 mm front and 20 mm rear). One of the rear shocks is blown, it's leaking oil and making funny noises.

If you can get Bilstein Sports over there for the 240, maybe go with them, especially if lowering the car. Otherwise, go Koni Yellow. I have Koni Yellow on my autox 240 (also NA and I am considering following your footsteps re. injectors and resistor mod to AMM signal as I like to run as much E85 as I can). If I was redoing my 940 wagon's suspension, I would go Koni Yellow and not the Bilstein HD currently in it.

I wanted to say i love this car, any updates? Are you ever putting your m90 and such in?

Also what size pipe did you use to make a pulley holder?

I wanted to say i love this car, any updates? Are you ever putting your m90 and such in?

Also what size pipe did you use to make a pulley holder?

Thanks!

Update is that there is something wrong with the injection/ignition. The engine runs really rough under 2000 rpm (rich or ignition miss). checked plug leads/plugs/cap/rotor/coil (and tested with spares), tried different ezk/lh, swapped AMM and lambdasond, checked timing of cam+dizzy, checked TPS, FPR, injectors, alternator, all kind of things... still running rough. maybe the broken engine mounts make it seem worse than it is....

I bought a set of craving boost spark plug wires, they arrived today. Also a variable wiper interval relay (like the one IPD sells). Small odds and ends.

All the parts are patiently waiting, pretty busy with school and the 760 of my brother is taking up shop space. Next to that i am refurbishing a few old machines (lathe etc) and improving the workshop.
I ordered a new clutch set today. And got prices on lowering springs etc.
I want to do suspension first, then proceed with the engine. To save work i want to do as much as possible in one go. Not a simple +T, burn out the clutch 3 months later, fix a better exhaust 4 months later, kill M47 2 weeks later etc.

Maybe suspension can be tackled over xmas break. For the +T im missing some parts (fuel pump, cat, oil lines) and im lacking time, the week after xmas i have a few important exams :grrr:. anyway. looking at a huge stash of parts is fun too.

iirc the pulley holder uses slightly under 3.5" or exactly 3.5". I'll check when i get home at the end of the week. Here you can find more info about the build.

Ok finally time to work on the 240 again.

I pulled the engine for the +T:

The engine bay cleaned up nicely with pressure washer+volvo cleaner/degreaser, needs some wax now.

The engine now:

turbo: new Garrett T3, 60 trim .42 A/R compressor and .63 A/R cosworth exhaust side, clipped turbine wheel+port cleanup :)
V cam is waiting as well.

intercooler after adjustment:
mainphpg2viewcoree.jpg

I'll mount it between the headlights, 2" forward from where it is now so i can leave the radiator in the original spot. I removed 60 mm from the bottem, still need to weld it up again.

suspension stuff ready to go in:
mainphpg2viewcore.jpg

Koni Yellow shocks/struts, 40 mm lowering springs (Lesj?fors, linear), some poly bushings, new volvo strut mounts and taxi ball joint holders.

mainphpg2viewcoret.jpg

Other stuff:
Found some leather 850 seats at the j/y
mounted in the 240:
mainphpg2viewcoreu.jpg

mainphpg2viewcorei.jpg

full height adjustment via the 850 mechanism, front/rear via 240 rails. seat can be adjusted to be lower than the stock 240 seat. it is a seat without sips. passenger side seat will be mounted someday, no need for it now.

some construction pics:
mainphpg2viewcorey.jpg

mainphpg2viewcoregzk.jpg

mainphpg2viewcoreo.jpg

mainphpg2viewcoreq.jpg

more pics can be found in my gallery.

Interior:

I had some nice heated/power mirrors and a central locking system so i pulled the interior to wire up that stuff (including better stereo cables and wires for the heated seats). at the same time i checked for rust (none to be found), cleaned the floor, applied better rust proofing (mike sanders grease) and attached all wires and loose bits with zipties to prevent any rattles after reassembly. interior will go in when the engine etc is mounted.

Last edited:
For the cosworth turbo i needed to have the flange of the manifold milled flat. because my 90+ had some big cracks i didnt want to spend money on it so i just pulled out the angle grinder and attacked the mani. partly because i was a bit frustrated after welding up the cracks, one crack kept coming back (not enough preheat or maybe not enough shielding gas, bottle is near empty).

yuck. lots of contamination, not enough preheat, shielding gas empty? i dont know. fugly. I'll try to correct this before fitting.

how it started, checked un-flatness with file (light spots). maybe 5 minutes work with the angle grinder to remove the lip.

the tools used. use new sanding paper, works much better. grind for a short time and let everything cool down again, repeat.

the result. M10x1.5 studs, port matched to turbo inlet, also cleaned up the runners where they enter the collector.
the removal of the step/lip on the flange took maybe 45 minutes, probably even less. no need to spend money on it if you have the tools.

Last edited:
The 90+ manifold flange looks good, must've been some work.

Also the floors on your car look nice, solid and rust free.

Are you gonna take that car to nordschleife?

The taxi ball joint holders, they add camber, yes? Any idea by how much?

I did the same thing as JW240 to my 90+ back in the days when I drove a turbo car with the big T3/T4...

DSC01530.JPG

DSC01531.JPG

DSC01532.JPG

DSC01536.JPG

Back