• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

External wastegate on housing options

Whatever happens in here though... someone should follow up because I'm interested.

I need to get my angled 19T downpipe in 240 pics up but I'm so embarrassed about the welds it might not be worth the flaming lol.

Tyler, piggybacking on our conversation from earlier, I think a modified version of the solution I showed you may be a good option; putting the gate inlet on the turbine housing, right next to the T3 flange at the bottom side. You could simply add a 180 degree section of tube that hugs the turbine housing and puts the gate assembly close to position 1. It would be less bulky than the adapter that Chris showed while putting the gate inlet in a more optimal position.

If the extra tubing isn't a big deal, I think I'd want to do exactly what you're saying. Keep the hole in the housing close to the flange, before the scroll part of the housing, and run a pipe to mount the wastegate next to the turbo. Then we could also add a little bracket over to one of the housing bolts to help it not crack.

Yesss. This sounds like a good compromise. The power of TBcrowdsourcing exhaust design.

Chris, if Harald's idea doesn't work, something like what you linked might. A t3 to t3 90 degree (or a bit less) could work, with a Y off the 90 degree part. I would have to take some more measurements, though, because that puts things pretty close to the hood, since my engine is upright.

That should work pretty well too. Would get close to approximating a full-on header with a Y after the collector with turbine and wastegate on either side of the Y. That shouldn't bias one or the other too much and provide good wastegate flow without sacrificing turbine inlet flow. If you're going to run super low boost on a big engine, it even makes sense to bias the wastegate with the collector going straight into it, and put the turbine on a 90 deg tube to the side. EDIT: with a gentle bend into the turbine, not a sharp 90 tee, of course.

I think the real solution here is to raise the boost, max out the turbo and not use a wastegate.

YESSS. Free float all the redblocks.

Yeah, I just looked at the housing and I think Harald's idea is going to work out well. I just ordered a mild steel 1.75" 180 degree bend with a 6" radius which should make the bend nicely.

Since the housing isn't stainless and is getting ceramic coated, I didn't think this pipe needed to be stainless. Does that seem like it'll weld ok? Should I be looking for some schedule 40-type pipe instead?

I need to see a pic of this to comprehend it (unless I missed it here) it sounds like you guys had an "off forum" convo...

The type of welding and the filler will probably make or break this... I think going to SCH40 might make it easier for someone (like myself) that is out of practice, but if you can properly manage the fusion of the two different masses of metal should be fine...

There are others much more qualified to answer though. At this point I'm just talking for the sake of talking on the web.

Use schedule pipe for sure, and even then hanging a gate off a long stretch of pipe is asking for failure. Pretty sure those small gate flanges accept 1 1/2 schedule pipe nicely. I've done a few turbine mounted gates and they all worked okay. I have done one similar to your first pic on a turbo v8 with a 50mm gate. Previous combos with normal gate mounting I can normally control boost to sub 5 psi, but that turbine mounted one wouldn't make any less than 12 pounds even with a 3 pound spring in the gate. Ones with the gate right after the flange worked great as expected.

Use schedule pipe for sure, and even then hanging a gate off a long stretch of pipe is asking for failure. Pretty sure those small gate flanges accept 1 1/2 schedule pipe nicely. I've done a few turbine mounted gates and they all worked okay. I have done one similar to your first pic on a turbo v8 with a 50mm gate. Previous combos with normal gate mounting I can normally control boost to sub 5 psi, but that turbine mounted one wouldn't make any less than 12 pounds even with a 3 pound spring in the gate. Ones with the gate right after the flange worked great as expected.

Awesome, thanks. Do you think putting a bracket right next to the wastegate over to the housing bolt would prevent cracking? I made a really crude drawing with no actual measurements to illustrate my point.

4FKgF67.jpg

Should be fine as long as there is a bellows or flex tube right by where the bracket would go.

I really like how you took the time to illustrate the cooling fins on the gate, btw.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dhv8Cfzv-04?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Possibly the most apt use of that Napoleon clip, ever. It looked like a lamp without the cooling fins, so I stand by that design decision.

It might be tough to fit a flex section. Maybe I'll have to use 2 45*s with a straight in the middle instead of a big sweeping 90*.

I wish I would have known about the schedule pipe being better for this before I ordered a bunch of 1.75 and 1.5 exhaust tubing.

I mean I would not worry about it too much as long as there is wiggle room for it to expand and contract :e-shrug:

Yes on bracket and +1 on allowing for thermal expansion.

Nice drawing. I made infinity of those at scout camp.

You could weld a tab onto your wastegate pipe and use a small heim-jointed link to connect it to the turbine housing. Limit vibration but allow for growth and for... shrinkage.

Come on, I'm a visual learner. Plus, EivlEvo up there asked for a picture. I'm just giving the people people what they want.

Good call on a heim joint. I think the current plan is to use a schedule pipe welded to the housing, then a flex section, and the rest could be normal exhaust tubing with a bracket. I feel pretty good about that, so we'll see how it works out in real life.

What about the pre-90 manifold? It has a nice flat bottom for mounting an external gate.

Come on, I'm a visual learner. Plus, EivlEvo up there asked for a picture. I'm just giving the people people what they want.

Good call on a heim joint. I think the current plan is to use a schedule pipe welded to the housing, then a flex section, and the rest could be normal exhaust tubing with a bracket. I feel pretty good about that, so we'll see how it works out in real life.

You'd probably get enough flex/expansion out of vbands no? But maybe too much leakage?

I was just continuing the Napoleon Dynamite theme with the scout camp reference :-P

You'd probably get enough flex/expansion out of vbands no? But maybe too much leakage?

No - a proper v-band joint won't allow any flex or relative motion between the two parts being joined. It's a solid connection once the clamp is tightened. Also shouldn't leak at all if you have the correct clamp and have it sufficiently torqued.

Nice drawing. I made infinity of those at scout camp.

I was just continuing the Napoleon Dynamite theme with the scout camp reference :-P

:lol:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qntlixQ9M7U?rel=0&showinfo=0&start=46" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would have it exit the housing at the 8 oclock position like in post #10 with a bend upward to put it where you want and not worry about bracing it. It wont be easy to find a bellow that fits the OD of schedule pipe and it will just add another failure point. I assume you're recirculating back into the downpipe? If so definitely but a bellow on the gate outlet tube to keep it from tugging on the gate.

I would have it exit the housing at the 8 oclock position like in post #10 with a bend upward to put it where you want and not worry about bracing it. It wont be easy to find a bellow that fits the OD of schedule pipe and it will just add another failure point. I assume you're recirculating back into the downpipe? If so definitely but a bellow on the gate outlet tube to keep it from tugging on the gate.

Even though the 8 o clock position would be in the scroll part of the housing? I'm not sure if I'm referring to that right. Scroll? Volute? If I moved it another inch toward the flange, it'd be before it gets into the scroll part.

And yeah, it'll be going back into the downpipe with a flex section for sure.

I have been very much into the sound with a spark arrestor at the end of the tube. It's audible but not tooooo loud.

Back