• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Keiser's 1990 Red 740 Turbo Wagon

If you didn't figure out the door dingie/radio interface yet, not sure if this is related but on mine the visor mirror and light, which you prolly don't have, fell out. It had been glued in at the factory, and it just fell out. That broke the wire to the light at an impossible place to fix. I got another visor and when the wires were connected and the visor opened, which turns the light on, the door dingie... dinged. With the main door closed of course. Something else happened also which I forget. Anyway, the fuse blew. Once the fuse was replaced, the visor did not ding the door dingie, which was delightful. :)

So the moral is, don't have sex before marriage. Wait, that's not it... oh; make sure All the fuses are good.

JerryC- Your issue is very similar to my wagon. When I bought the car the guy said don't put a fuse in #15 slot because it would blow right away. I thought to myself "huh, that's odd". Usually if something like that is happening there's a reason. Turns out after some searching the passenger front door jam light bulb was bad and blowing the fuse. Pulled the bulb. New fuse. Bam! No more random door dinging. Best of all because I replaced that fuse. All these interior lights came on...glovebox, center console, light behind center console, AND ALL WEIRD "dinging" stopped and finally got my new stereo installed and working. My 23 year old speakers don't sound half bad lol.

I've been making lots of head way with this new found project. Keep finding new things to fix/upgrade and fixing old problems. New pics coming soon...STAY TUNED!

Update!

My air filter was full of dirt and leaves and I could have bought a cheap replacement but I decided to spend a little extra and do it right. I soon found out what "uncork the stock air box" ment when I started to install my new K&N air filter and was greeted with copious amounts of foam sound deadener and plastic restrictors. It was a pretty simple affair...gut air box and install filter.

Little plastic cap was falling out so I RTV'ed it along with some set screws to hold it in place.

Restrictor

I could have gone farther and started chopping out plastic but I felt removing everything so far was sufficient.

As I'm sure you Volvo guys know. The previous owner managed to break off every single tab to clamp down the air filter so I MacGyver'ed that **** with some zippy ties. I've been keeping an eye out and the local pick-n-pull for a new one but they are all in the same condition.

After the install I went for a spin and I noticed I could actually hear the turbo spooling and I immediately went from 6 to midnight:boink:. Hey, it's my first turbo car i'm aloud to do that:)

After fixing my little electrical door dinging shenanigans I managed to wire up my new head unit. I gotta stay. First time having BlueTooth and it's amazing. I love being able to work on my car with music playing and be able to just pull my phone out and change it whenever.:zeeall:

Installed new Stabilus lift-gate struts

Today continued with what seems like endless search for volvo parts a junkyard run with my buddy Sean. It was pretty slim pickings today until we came across third row seating. Seeing how mine 740 never came with that option it only made sense to snag up this gem.

The seatbelts were **** and were left with the donor. The seat on the other hand was in great shape.

Before 3rd row went in

After. The GF may not approve of the wagon but she's starting to see it's perks

While at the junkyard I grabbed up another rear taillight to fix mine. Turns out the one from the junkyard a bigger piece of **** than my original. I had melted the plastic all to hell and the bulb wouldn't wouldn't go in.

Before

So, I took my existing light and started drilling/cutting/and sanding until I almost perfectly matched the stock light bulb hole. Installed a bulb I had from the junkyard taillight I had just got and popped her in. Hooray!:spin: the RR tail light has all it's bulbs.

I'm having trouble figuring out the taillight wiring because I'm not sure which lights the switch next to the antenna switch is suppose to turn on. Before i've see it turn on the reverse lights. Right now mine turns on the upper red (brake lights? Running lights?) The "bulb out" light is constantly illuminated when the headlights are on now.

I would have but they were ****. I did get the female part that bolts under the seat itself though. I just need to source the 3 points from another car.

I'm having trouble figuring out the taillight wiring because I'm not sure which lights the switch next to the antenna switch is suppose to turn on. Before i've see it turn on the reverse lights. Right now mine turns on the upper red (brake lights? Running lights?) The "bulb out" light is constantly illuminated when the headlights are on now.

Those are the rear fog lights. There was only supposed to be one, as after a certain year cars with rear fogs only got one on the driver's side (whether that was the left or right side obviously depended on country).

Try checking your owner's manual, there might be a diagram of which bulb is which. THe only thing I can find online just says that the rear fog (not fogs) is a 1156-type bulb, 21 W.

Ok. Have guys done this before? So, if you were like me and wired in the other fog using an the existing ground already in there but kept getting the "bulb integrity" sensor going off, what would you do? I mean it's not that big of a deal because I know my lights are functioning correctly and I can ignore it BUT that light sure gets annoying.

Don't mistake the bulb out warning light for the rear fog "on" indicator. I've seen way too many customers confuse the 2. They come in thinking they have a bulb out and can't find it. One flick of the rear fog light switch turns off the rear fogs and solves the problem (that wasn't there to begin with).

Wiring job was just fine the whole time. Turns out I really did have a bad bulb. Installed a new LR brake light bulb and all is well. I had a very long but successful weekend working on the Volvo with my buddy Sean. I'll have some new pictures up soon for you guys.

Ok, so this is what i've been up too for the past few weeks. Since i've bought the car I've been dealing with warped front rotors and ****y cheap pads that don't seem to do much. So I decided to upgrade where necessary. New Hel braided brake lines as well as some EBC green stuff pads. Rotor are just Autozone specials. I figured in the spirit of christmas that Red and green everything sounded great. I figured that if I just slapped everything together i'd have these beautiful brake lines and pads next to grungy old calipers and soon to be rusty ass rotors so I masked them off and painted them as well

I call this Aaron In Volvo Land..."he's painting the rotors red, he's painting the rotors red":spin:

One night after work I decided to use the BendPak lift at my work to install new shifter linkage bushings in the transmission shifter. It definitely took a ton of slop out of the shifter but unfortunately some of the play is actually in the shift lever on the side of the transmission.

I was searching online on IPD's website when I came across there roof rack plug kit so I picked one up. I'm sure glad I did because the original rubber grommets that hold the roof rack on were falling apart causing water to leak inside. Probably another reason my Head liner was destroyed.

This day we did the brakes, lower control arm bushings with poly stay bushings (IPD's Kit) and cut the springs to lower the car.

It's tough to see but here are some pictures of why I changed the brake lines...notice the slice on the first photo and the bubble in the second. Probably isn't the safest Volvo with these bad boys.

I didn't want to get too crazy with lowering the car because of all the issues i've heard people on here talk about so THIS time I was modest. Took off 1-1/2 coils front and 1-1/2 coils rear. Might go back in and take off half a coil in the rear.

Took off the calipers and caliper brackets and gave them some Red caliper paint. I figured Red would shave a second off my quarter mile times:cool:

Here you can see the stay bushings we replaced with IPD's kit. I was a little bummed when I saw only one bushing is polyurethane.

Also went ahead and made my rear panhard adjustable to center the rear axle back under the car

It's a little hack IMO but it gets the job done.

This is how it sits afterward. Not the lowest but it definitely feels different.

Also went ahead an did some VHT nightshade on my tail lights. May or may not have been a good idea. We shall see. More pictures soon to come...

After breaking in the brakes I can definitely say I am VERY happy with my braking situation. The braided lines firmed up the pedal and the Green stuff pads bite hard. LOVE IT!

Until next time...

Thanks man! I'm trying to keep it in good shape. Even if the resale value is total s*** . Last night I ordered up a set of sway bars from IPD. I can't wait till they get here. On a side note I fixed some rattles I had in the rear door. Once I pulled the plastic off the rear door I noticed that the wiper motor had almost no bolts in it and was flopping around. I found some bolts laying around and locktited that bitch in there for good. A couple of long bolts through the plastic with some fasteners on the other side and that thing is even more tight than factory.

New stuff

It's been a few months since my last post but here we go. I hit up Tuesday here on TB about his IPD sways he had and purchased those. They showed up roughly a week later. I through a fresh coat of blue on them and installed them the next night. Install went very easy and without any headaches.

Heres a pic. of the rear install. I have to say these things rock! I made sure to go throw down a nice rain drift through the Paul Walker turn since it's right on my way to work.

Up next I wanted to make sure the back seat was safe for people to ride in so I hit up Jerryc here on TB and got me a set of 3rd row seatbelts.

Then I went and got all artsy n stuff and painted my rear logos with black Plasti-dip.

Somewhere in all these Volvo shenanigans I took some time off to tackle another task I had. The Harmonic balancer basically killed my Jeep crankshaft so bad (sheared keyway/pulled out threads/bolt destroyed/balancer spun on crank killing press fit) that the only way to truly fix it was to pull the motor and swap in a new crank.

Here you can see my GF and mom (not pictured) drinking my Beer I just bought while I try to wave down a friendly person to give me a jump. I was having this intermittent starting issue and traced it to the starter. So I hit up another Fellow TB'er (fortbrick) got a good used Bosch starter sent over and installed as well.

I've basically have been just using the Volvo for DD duties and part runs. This last weekend my buddy Sean and I headed out to my pops house in Apple Valley to pick up some tires for my Jeep.

Yes, you are seeing correctly. Thats four 39/13.50-17 BFG Baja's with wheels in the back of my wagon. This car keeps showing me everyday how versatile it is.

I hit up thelostartof here on TB to send me a set of his chips. Came in the mail and few days later and I had those badboys installed.

I can feel a difference in the off idle throttle response but I know these chips will really shine once the real upgrades start happening. I ordered a Voodoo MBC off Fleebay today. Can't wait to get it installed and blow up my car...I mean crank up z boost and have jolly fun :)

Until next time fellas...keep on boost'in:-P

Thanks guys I appreciate the love. I gotta say Kevin your wagon's sick. I've read your thread for inspiration towards my Red shwagon. I've definitely learned a few things from it. I was stoked to find out my MBC came in the mail today.

Question is how much can I increase the boost with stock injectors? I'm thinking somewhere around 12-15psi. I have a boost gauge from my buddy Sean I can use to dial it in.

Back