• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 rally gauge pod reproduction finishing, Byneset Customs

2turbotoys

Salaminizer
I bought this rally gauge pod reproduction a couple years ago from bynesetcustoms.com. Early dash 240s need the spacer piece so I got that also. It's well made, very sturdy, especially compared to factory plastics. The only thing I didn't care for was the finish of the 3D printed PETG.

This is not a cheap part, especially with shipping, so I wanted to be careful while trying to make it look the way I want. This week I decided to try to get it done finally.
220 grit sand paper barely scratches this stuff. Body filler just sands off. What actually worked was 100 grit paper for a couple hours, than 220 grit. A thin file to do detail work such as the lines between the gauges.

I used JB Weld to join the 2 pieces, and am still sanding, sanding, sanding haha. I think body filler will smooth the 2 pieces together, and I picked Rustoleum adhesion promoter and high build primer to prep for paint.

Suggestions welcome, I don't really know what I'm doing here other than my research.

Izw0C5rl.jpg

TAcgqZPl.jpg

QF4orpml.jpg

YHXSbOOl.jpg

Heh, I'm not checking out the dude, a purple shirt didn't help with the penis look though. But not sure if it would help now since I sanded it this far. Dread the bondo work to fill the gaps mostly. Hate working with that stuff

Heh, I'm not checking out the dude, a purple shirt didn't help with the penis look though. But not sure if it would help now since I sanded it this far. Dread the bondo work to fill the gaps mostly. Hate working with that stuff

its just like polishing wood, something you should be proficient by now

You can put a bowl of acetone and the part next to it, cover it up with a plastic bin end watch the vapors smooth out the 3d printer marks

https://youtu.be/h2lm6FuaAWI

If you can stomach watching the bald penis looking dude

PETG is immune to acetone vapour smoothing. That vid is about parts printed in ABS, and I can vouch for how well that works.

For PETG, there are alternate methods, but sanding is the best.

High build primer is your friend. I wouldn't use bondo on small build lines like that.

High build primer is your friend. I wouldn't use bondo on small build lines like that.

Yeah I was going to say the same thing. I wouldn?t use the standard pink bondo body filler, it will eventually crack and you?ll be upset, I?ve been there a few times. I would suggest fiberglass or a flexible plastic filler. You could also use sem panel bonder and then sand that down.

Well today I used glazing and spot putty just to smooth the lines between the 2 parts. Not happy with the results. Flexible plastic filler might be the answer, along with the high build primer.

I decided to keep sanding with 100 grit, then I only needed very light application of the spot putty. After a ton more sanding, filler primer, putty, repeat, then repeat again, it looks pretty good. Finally got to paint it today. Primer pics are from the second to last round of the above process.
Pretty happy with how it turned out.

96Iq7WCl.jpg

TT634Vcl.jpg

EYDcduml.jpg

K1vfgqUl.jpg

Back