• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Stumbling throughout revs

Awaffa2003

Hey all,

My new to me '80 245 is hard to start and running rough throughout the rpm range. When it does start, I have to feather the pedal to keep in running and while doing so, sometimes I hear what sounds like a door slamming, BOOM from the engine.

Today, it wouldn't even rev past 5k.

I'm thinking of starting with the ignition system, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and condenser, possibly a coil, but where's the best place to get these parts? I bought some wires and a rotor from Rock Auto once and the only complaint I had was that the wires were very thin.

That and I don't believe ipd carries the condenser...

Haaaalp.

Bad mass airflow sensor? Your car sounds like mine when the MAF crapped out. I'm just throwing my thought out there liberally. Have no faith in it.

Well crap...I guess the $160 I just dropped on ignition parts won't hurt then. Thanks, I'll start with fueling. I was told by the PO that the fuel pump was swapped with a unit from a Pontiac... I'll buy a stock unit first and go from there.

There is well over a $1,000 in fuel system parts . . . rebuilt . . . and the parts cannon is not a good diagnostic tool.

Buy, rent or build a fuel pressure test setup and start there.

Hiperfauto rents a pressure test rig.

I did, but the link is bad for the pressure gauge.

My dude, most of the links are bad lol!!! I had to get a ride to work this morning!

Last edited:
Update!

I threw the wagon in the shop on the 6th of November and up to this point, the mechanic has done largely nothing. Frustrating, but I don't doubt the quality of his work, I think he could have just been a bit more upfront about the timeline. ANYWAY, I'm taking the car back tomorrow and you guessed it, he says fuel pressure is a likely suspect. I'm back to square 1.

The mechanic did say that there way be a problem with the cold start circuit and offered to rig up a momentary switch in the dash, but I declined. I want this to be stock or upgraded from stock. How do I start diagnosing this issue aside from testing for fuel pressure? Firing the parts canon is awful tempting, I was saving to get the car out of the shop so I have the cash, what would get this damn thing squared away!?!

Sounds more like fuel than spark. But that is a big first decision.

1980 is certainly a K-jet without a MAF.

Unfortunately, the next diagnostic test is fuel pressure. The Bosch K-jet system is completely regulated by fuel pressure.

Start here:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=289775

There is well over a $1,000 in fuel system parts . . . rebuilt . . . and the parts cannon is not a good diagnostic tool.

Buy, rent or build a fuel pressure test setup and start there.

Hiperfauto rents a pressure test rig.

Still sounds like a fuel problem. We are not going to be much help until you can provide some fuel pressure numbers.

Back