• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ground wire again really!!!

brickyard92

I'm on my way to work this morning at 5 AM on HWY 985 in Atl. 10 min into my ride; my instrument panel begins to get dimmer and dimmer. The ABS lights come on, the radio cuts out, the headlights go dim.:grrr:

So I pull off the road, grab my flashlight, pop the hood. Guess WHAT it was? The alternator ground wire is loose. Grab my tool kit got a 5/16 socket to tighten it up. Good to go!

On Monday, I rebuilt the alternator, and I did not recheck my work.
I did the same thing 6 months when I removed the A/C compressor to replace the bushings.

It took me 2 weeks at that time to figure out why I was blowing the A/C fuses.
When I finally decide to go back to the basics, the Ground wire is dangling ON THE A/C bracket.:-(

My lessons learned are ...STOP being so overconfident when working on my Volvos.
Always have my tool kit in my car at all times. (which I do most of the time):)

Out of curiosity which alternator does your car have? Intermittent grounds killed two diodes in my bosch 80 amper. Did you check the AC ripple on yours after repairing the ground?

As a matter of fact that?s exactly what I did to the alternator I replace the rectifier,voltage regulator,and the brushes. The same thing they do when you purchase a reman one.

Not sure which car you have, but if the alternator is on the passenger's side be sure to check the condition of the wires going to it: I've found degradation from oil and heat where they wrap under the front of the engine.

Back