• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

92' 740 wagon vortec swap

whatoctaneiscoffee

now with more caffeine!
Looking to do my first engine swap and I want to make sure my grocery list is complete before I start gathering parts. I have a 92' 740 wagon that I love, but the automatic trans leaves a lot to be desired. Figured if I'm doing a manual swap, why not toss in an ls while I'm at it?

So far, my parts list looks like this:

• 5.3l vortec w/ wiring harness and ecm
  • t5 transmission
  • shifter
  • compatible bellhousing (?)
  • compatible clutch plate (?)
  • clutch pedal assembly
  • JTR 740 motor mount kit
  • lt1 to ls mount adapters
  • shorten driveshaft, add gm bit

I still have to sort out those ?s by seeing what will fit (or finding a t5 that comes with both), though I know a good part of that depends on what 5.3 I pick up. And the thought of getting all the wiring sorted is frightening.....

Is there anything obvious that I'm missing? I'm hoping to gather parts over the next few weeks and then have a wild weekend in about a month where I pop it all together in time to drive to work Monday. Thanks in advance!

Do it. I put a V8 in my 2series wagon 32+ years ago, still love to drive it. Yes get everything in place, but there will still be the odd part/piece that you will need. Good luck. One weekend?

Thanks! And yes, I don't expect it to be flawless after a weekend but at the very least I'd need to have it running and driving.

I like the idea... One weekend is delusional. All the small parts will drive you insane and nickle and dime you to death.

Why a T5? Looks like cd009s are getting traction as the modern option for 3-pedal swaps. And look to STS for mounts and other small support bits.
For what it's worth, STS sells a complete T56/LS swap kit for $1500.

Why a T5? Looks like cd009s are getting traction as the modern option for 3-pedal swaps. And look to STS for mounts and other small support bits.
For what it's worth, STS sells a complete T56/LS swap kit for $1500.

I hadn't considered the cd009, but looking at it it seems a bit out of my budget for this build. I decided on the t5 because they're easy to find and relatively cheap, and strong enough for what I'm looking to achieve.

Hadn't found STS yet, thank you for that! Do you recommend their stuff over JTR? STS's mounts need headers and an oil pan, and doesn't include the trans crossmember.

I hadn't considered the cd009, but looking at it it seems a bit out of my budget for this build. I decided on the t5 because they're easy to find and relatively cheap, and strong enough for what I'm looking to achieve.

Hadn't found STS yet, thank you for that! Do you recommend their stuff over JTR? STS's mounts need headers and an oil pan, and doesn't include the trans crossmember.

Are the cd009s really that much more expensive? Is there a cheap, or any, T5 that is going to handle even the stock power from the LS? Check Yoshifab or Deeworks for cd009/Volvo swap info.

Scott from STS is active on this forum and they seem to produce highly regarded gear. Scott also just started a retrospective LS 242 T56 build thread here a few weeks back.

Are the cd009s really that much more expensive? Is there a cheap, or any, T5 that is going to handle even the stock power from the LS? Check Yoshifab or Deeworks for cd009/Volvo swap info.

Scott from STS is active on this forum and they seem to produce highly regarded gear. Scott also just started a retrospective LS 242 T56 build thread here a few weeks back.

Didn't mean any disrespect to Scott, I apologize if I came across that way. I'll have to check out his thread and the cd009. I'd heard that the t5 camaro or WC transmissions could handle the ls, and they've been easier to find nearby than others. May have had some rose - tinted glasses there though.

My other concern was looking at build info for 200 series cars. I'm not sure how much carries over to the 700 series, but my understanding was they have some significant differences under the hood.

Didn't mean any disrespect to Scott, I apologize if I came across that way. I'll have to check out his thread and the cd009. I'd heard that the t5 camaro or WC transmissions could handle the ls, and they've been easier to find nearby than others. May have had some rose - tinted glasses there though.

My other concern was looking at build info for 200 series cars. I'm not sure how much carries over to the 700 series, but my understanding was they have some significant differences under the hood.

Didn't sound disrespectful at all, I just thought I'd offer an option where you might have direct access to the folks producing the swap gear. 77volvo245 is one of the guys from STS.
There are a bunch of 240 LS swap builds on here. Also, if you're on FB, there are some great V8 volvo groups with tons of detailed info.

I'm planning out an LS swap and still debating an auto vs cd009 path.

Didn't sound disrespectful at all, I just thought I'd offer an option where you might have direct access to the folks producing the swap gear. 77volvo245 is one of the guys from STS.
There are a bunch of 240 LS swap builds on here. Also, if you're on FB, there are some great V8 volvo groups with tons of detailed info.

I'm planning out an LS swap and still debating an auto vs cd009 path.

I appreciate the help. Looks like I've got some reading to do!

Yes, a T5 can live behind a 400HP LS... NWC and WC variants. Just dont go ape on a NWC and it will live.

EASY is 5.3 with 4L60E + STS mounts and send it!

Medium 5.3 with T56 + Yoshifab mounts and send it!

Hard 5.3 with T5 + STS mounts and maybe eventually send it...

Here is the rub. Old STS mounts has two mounting options, Low or High. High means LS1/Camaro accessories. Low means diff oil pan and no idea on driver side header due to steering shaft interference.

T5 or 4L80E require the larger truck bellhousing = it will not push back close enough to the firewall even with being beaten back aggressively. The T5 is still not in the proper location and needs a 3"ish extension to hit the hole.

STS has changed the mount design from Ken's original. IDK how the new fitment is, but carries some of the same installation notes as before.
https://www.stsmachininginc.com/col...cts/lsx-v8-volvo-700-900-series-engine-mounts

Note: Holley oil pan (GMPP has a better price on a thin H3 pan that works) and Car intake manifold (equals LS1 or LS6 or $$$ other AND Camaro accessories or ICT Billet adapters)

7/9 folks pay the price for the luxury and speed.

Yes, a T5 can live behind a 400HP LS... NWC and WC variants. Just dont go ape on a NWC and it will live.

EASY is 5.3 with 4L60E + STS mounts and send it!

Medium 5.3 with T56 + Yoshifab mounts and send it!

Hard 5.3 with T5 + STS mounts and maybe eventually send it...

Here is the rub. Old STS mounts has two mounting options, Low or High. High means LS1/Camaro accessories. Low means diff oil pan and no idea on driver side header due to steering shaft interference.

T5 or 4L80E require the larger truck bellhousing = it will not push back close enough to the firewall even with being beaten back aggressively. The T5 is still not in the proper location and needs a 3"ish extension to hit the hole.

STS has changed the mount design from Ken's original. IDK how the new fitment is, but carries some of the same installation notes as before.
https://www.stsmachininginc.com/col...cts/lsx-v8-volvo-700-900-series-engine-mounts

Note: Holley oil pan (GMPP has a better price on a thin H3 pan that works) and Car intake manifold (equals LS1 or LS6 or $$$ other AND Camaro accessories or ICT Billet adapters)

7/9 folks pay the price for the luxury and speed.

Been doing a bit of homework these past few days, and spent some time chatting up a guy at the shop when I went to pick up new tires.....I'm thinking I'm going to ditch my manual swap idea and pair the ls to an automatic - and the 4L60E seems the way to go for that. Would rather pick my own gears, but for a first swap I think going this route will save me a bit of headache.

As for the mounting choices, high seems the better bet for now. I'd planned on swapping out the intake anyway, and I don't think those other accessories will be too hard to come by.

Thank you for all that! Going to try and pick up the engine this weekend, and get as much as I can sorted while I wait for the mounts to arrive.

Oh, and thank you for the link, lot of good stuff there. VERY happy I don't have to sort out fitting the driveshaft through my fuel tank haha.

Quick question - are the JTR mounts out of fashion? The kit is $100 cheaper than the STS kit and comes with the trans crossmember I'd need for the 4L60E.

Been doing a bit of homework these past few days, and spent some time chatting up a guy at the shop when I went to pick up new tires.....I'm thinking I'm going to ditch my manual swap idea and pair the ls to an automatic - and the 4L60E seems the way to go for that. Would rather pick my own gears, but for a first swap I think going this route will save me a bit of headache.

I keep leaning heavily this way, modern automatics aren't all that bad and a manual is probably not needed to squeeze out the power like our little 2.3s....

Save money and headache. Unless you drive a manual daily, you're not going to miss it. I love manuals but for an ls swap, it's so easy to keep it auto. It definitely keeps cost down.

Back