• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rusty, the 1971 145S

:omg:

That rubber looks like dry cheese. How sketchy was the rear end handling ?

I was able to make out a tiny little number from the remains, which sorta indicates a genuine part.

It was... shifty. The tiny little bit of torque produced by the b20 would very noticeably shift the rear end. Still gotta do the other side.

Other side was just as bad.

QBVeHo9h.jpg

Genuine 240 TAB tool works nicely for this application

P1xjAfMh.jpg

Going in...

Jp1cZOTh.jpg

lol #2...

HHjD5FCh.jpg

Last edited:
Installed an excellent condition 'correct' cluster courtesy of Alschnertz. All I can say is wow!

It fixed my sticky speedo issues as well!

62qKtzBh.jpg

Also in the works is acquiring this horn pad...

ja28Zwch.jpg

Today I rebuilt the 12V cigarette lighter socket.

No wonder it wasn't working
WwMkBb9h.jpg

Unfortunately it broke during disassembly
lAbPmo9h.jpg

This spare socket from an 850 has a contact that looks good
J7ZHDEdh.jpg

And its a perfect fit!
COuR58ah.jpg

Fully assembled
DQy3LYsh.jpg

And it works! LR tire has a slow leak (probably the inner wheel seam)
Y9BXnoIh.jpg

Slowly getting there...
GckjsQOh.jpg

Incredible progress, looks even better in person than on here. Now that it’s running and driving you’re light years ahead of the rest of TB still on jack stands waiting for the crusher to call. I can’t wait to see this driving around town!

Drove rusty a total of 70 miles in the last 2 days.

Car died 4 miles from home. Coasted into a neighborhood for diagnostics. Turns out it was out of gas (gas gauge was stuck at full)

9GxaoLZh.jpg

Luckily was travelling with the fiancee so she was able to grab some gas with her car

Made it to the gas station, filled up, and went home! Reset the brake circuit trip sensor & had to manually close the heater valve to keep hot air from blowing, but it's a comfier ride now.

BoJx1fmh.jpg

Nice project. You probably know that the shock support is a common place for them to rust. Assume the wagon is easier to fix than the sedans with access at least. I have a 142 and looking at upgrading the suspension a bit, have you run the KYB gas-a-justs shocks, if so what do you think? Why did you chose them? Also considering the Excel Gs as a more mild upgrade but don’t know in real terms how much stiffer the a-justs are and how much they impact comfort?

Good luck with the project, cool car!

Nice project. You probably know that the shock support is a common place for them to rust. Assume the wagon is easier to fix than the sedans with access at least. I have a 142 and looking at upgrading the suspension a bit, have you run the KYB gas-a-justs shocks, if so what do you think? Why did you chose them? Also considering the Excel Gs as a more mild upgrade but don?t know in real terms how much stiffer the a-justs are and how much they impact comfort?

Considering the difference in price is $6, go for the Gas-a-justs. Either one will be miles better than the blown-out originals on the car. The GaJ are probably closer to the original Bilstein/Boge.

Nice progress!

As far as welding goes, Miller has some good instructional videos on YouTube. That will get you started, and a lot of practice will get you good enough to make the repair. When it comes to welding floors and stuff you don't need to be a pro by any means. You just need to spend a lot of time prepping the area and being patient so you don't warp the steel. There's no need to stack perfect dimes on a floor pan where nobody is going to see it. I'm glad your saving this thing! It's come a long way already.

Man I need to learn how to weld... :-(

"A grinder and paint will make you the welder you ain't."

The HF flux core will certainly do the job, especially considering the fact they set the polarity correctly for flux core (gas-shielded uses the opposite polarity). Spend another $12 on a HF air angle die grinder and some roll-lock pads and you'll be good to go!

You probably know that the shock support is a common place for them to rust.

Yes, it's an awful design from a mechanical engineering point of view... it's practically begging for corrosion. I'm weighing doing just the shock reinforcement or replacing the whole inner wheel well, as I found a hole near the passenger rear seat belt anchor as well.

I have a 142 and looking at upgrading the suspension a bit, have you run the KYB gas-a-justs shocks, if so what do you think? Why did you chose them? Also considering the Excel Gs as a more mild upgrade but don’t know in real terms how much stiffer the a-justs are and how much they impact comfort?

I took them out for a spin last night. The difference between the previous setup of 1 broken shock and 1 worn out vintage oil shock is night & day.

I chose them because... they're the only rear shock rockauto sells for the 140 :lol:

They felt plenty stiff for my tastes, but I'm also trying to maintain the vintage 60s/70s station wagon driving characteristics of my car by avoiding things like stiffer springs, thicker sway bar, polyurethane, etc.

Now that I see it, I realize they are a performance shock. They were $25 so I just figured they'd get the job done. If I decide they're too harsh in the future, I'm only out $50 :e-shrug:

Get yourself this welder. It's all you will ever need. https://www.harborfreight.com/Titanium-Easy-Flux-125-Amp-Welder-56355.html

Wait till you get a coupon. I got mine for $149 plus tax. Best purchase that I've ever made at Harbor Freight.

I think I'll have to buy that & try it out... price is right, and I don't have to run a long cord to reach my 240V outlet...

Nice progress!

As far as welding goes, Miller has some good instructional videos on YouTube. That will get you started, and a lot of practice will get you good enough to make the repair. When it comes to welding floors and stuff you don't need to be a pro by any means. You just need to spend a lot of time prepping the area and being patient so you don't warp the steel. There's no need to stack perfect dimes on a floor pan where nobody is going to see it. I'm glad your saving this thing! It's come a long way already.

Appreciate it! Thanks for the tip on Miller.

Last edited:
Back