• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New Meyle U-Joints Binding

volvohyes

So I'm replacing u-joints and the center carrier bits... shouldn't be too hard right?
I'm using these Meyle u-joints from FCP: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-universal-joint-u-joint-meyle-3520997my

I'm currently working on the first joint at the transmission, but I can't keep it from binding, even with hitting each yoke ear to set the cap. It almost seems like the new u-joint is slightly too long or the clips are too thick so that when I put in the clips it binds up. This is how it's been going:

1. Put in joint with no caps into drive shaft yoke
2. Line up caps on each side
3. Use press to push in one cap far enough to reveal clip groove
4. Put in clip
5. Press other cap in while taking care not to push too hard against the 1st cap.
6. At this point I can hit each yoke to set the caps and the joint moves beautifully with no resistance
7. Now to put in the second clip, I have to lightly tap it with a hammer and screwdriver
8. Now no matter how I try to set the caps, the joint binds enough to concern me

I'm sure that all the needle bearings are in their place so that isn't the problem.
Has anyone had any similar experiences with Meyle u-joints? Any other recommendations?
Like I said it's almost like the u-joint assembly is too long to fit within the clips....

Have you tried with old clips if they are thinner? Sometimes I have had to use old clips because new ones were too thick and u-joint kept binding.

In my long quest to eliminate the drive line vibration in my V8 conversion my drive shaft guy informed me that the cap clips come in 3 difference thicknesses. That was one of my several problems.

In my long quest to eliminate the drive line vibration in my V8 conversion my drive shaft guy informed me that the cap clips come in 3 difference thicknesses. That was one of my several problems.

I also switched to solid non grease-able u-joints

Yo man did you get it done?? I figured out the tips and secrets to get it done after 2 days of dealing and pondering lol

There are many variations to doing this job and different ways you can go about it. I just did what worked for me

Have you tried with old clips if they are thinner? Sometimes I have had to use old clips because new ones were too thick and u-joint kept binding.
After measuring the new and old clips with a caliper, the old ones were about 0.1mm thinner. I was able to use those and all is good now! Thanks!

Back