home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #76
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
I don't quite understand your spacer comments. IIRC, the locker requires the axles from the locker to be used. At least one of them. One of the axles in a locker rear end is shorter than the open differential versions. IOW, swap the G-80 carrier and axles into the rear axle you just installed.
How do you propose removing the axles? Spacers are stuck on the axle, rotors cannot be removed currently so I cannot access the hole in the axle to remove the bolts for the bearing retainer.

Not that it matters at all but it is a Dana powerloc not a G80.
hackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:42 AM   #77
maxitoman007
Board Member

Fellow lifted Volvo here:

Very nice build you got going on there!

Here's mine. Forgive me for the fenders... had to make the 33s fit somehow...

maxitoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:59 AM   #78
sbabbs
Board Member

Roy was saying the g80 rear ends have shorter axles then the non g80 740 or 940 rear ends. The g80 axles are also a little bit thicker but not where they go into the diff.

Why can't you use a air impact to remove the spacer nuts? Don't have one? Breaker bar with a cheater bar on it? Jump on it? Best to do it with the rear still in the car so you can lock it up with ebrake.
1995 940 White racing wagoon. 13c m90 to put in
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #79
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
Roy was saying the g80 rear ends have shorter axles then the non g80 740 or 940 rear ends. The g80 axles are also a little bit thicker but not where they go into the diff.

Why can't you use a air impact to remove the spacer nuts? Don't have one? Breaker bar with a cheater bar on it? Jump on it? Best to do it with the rear still in the car so you can lock it up with ebrake.
The nuts aren't the problem. The PO of the car machined spacers with such tight tolerances that they are stuck on the centerbore to the axle.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #80
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
The nuts aren't the problem. The PO of the car machined spacers with such tight tolerances that they are stuck on the centerbore to the axle.
Time to get a big propane heater and destroy a set of rotors.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #81
2manyturbos

It makes sense now. If you need another set of axles, speak now. I have that 940 headed to the crusher this week. They were already pulled out to yank the G80 for Robert. They are just holding the car up in the air on my trailer.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:22 AM   #82
122power
dude

Drill a hole to relieve some of the press fit? Or drill two holes and tap em with a bottoming tap and use some bolts to push it off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Ring,ring,ring

"Hello"

"Do you work on Volvo ...

*Click - bzzzzzz*
122power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #83
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Time to get a big propane heater and destroy a set of rotors.
I think a proper torch with a big rosebud would work the best to loosen up the adapter to the hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
It makes sense now. If you need another set of axles, speak now. I have that 940 headed to the crusher this week. They were already pulled out to yank the G80 for Robert. They are just holding the car up in the air on my trailer.
I hope I dont need another set of axles.....I cannot remove them though until I get the adapters off. Its not a pressing issue right now though, I can get to it when I have some free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122power View Post
Drill a hole to relieve some of the press fit? Or drill two holes and tap em with a bottoming tap and use some bolts to push it off?
That is the other option I have thought about. The fronts actually had a tapped hole to remove them from the hub with a bolt to press it off, worked really well and yes they are that tight of a fit.

I stopped by Ashers place last night after work and we took a look at the hard start. It looses fuel pressure as soon as the key is turned off. We believe its a faulty check valve in the fuel system, likely a piece built into the top hat of the fuel pump assembly. I think I am going to try and put an inline check valve in the system and see if that cures it and then go from there with pump removal.

We also adjusted the idle down and it seems to run just fine, I would like it a little higher but understand its up to the IAC motor to do its job and if we raise it up any more its no longer the IAC doing its thing.

Messed around with the cruise to see if we could get that working and came up with the idea that when the auto was removed there is no longer an open circuit when the car is in drive. Found the blue and pink wires connected together in the console, put some connectors on them, started the car, disconnect and boom!! Functioning Cruise Control.

I need to get a switch for the clutch pedal and all will be right in the world. It needs to see that circuit closed to start the car, yet it needs to be open to operate the cruise, smart way of doing things.

Clutch pedal switch, open in the up position and closed in the depressed position will accomplish all of these tasks.

Knocking out the issues one at a time, this thing is gonna be dialed in no time at all.

Sean
Old 02-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #84
2manyturbos

You just need one more vacuum switch and the jumper circuit to complete your cruise system. I don't think the vacuum switch bracket is on the 7 series pedal set for the clutch pedal unless the car was built with cruise. It is just a simple L shaped piece of sheet metal, IIRC.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:19 PM   #85
hackster
Board Member

FOR SALE!!! See For Sale thread here PM with questions for this bad ass 940 Turbo.

Sean
Old 02-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #86
slow240
Home Schooled

Lol that didn't take long
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenpudden View Post
I'll polish your face

'81 242t, DD, project, epic funmobile.
build thread; http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=251729
'92 244. 601 red, stock, awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=292524
'92 245. 601 red, b230ft/aw71, 16t.
'89 780. Fine Corinthian leather.
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #87
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
Lol that didn't take long
Lifes way to short. Have fun, build cool stuff and go on adventures.

Someone will love it, fresh, clean and cool.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:50 AM   #88
hackster
Board Member

I always like to update a thread. I managed to get the last little bits of this thing buttoned up last night. Built a bracket to hold the switch for the clutch pedal and wired that in. Its a pretty neat circuit. Has to be Closed to start the car but has to be open for the Cruise to engage. So simple but works well. Now you have to depress the clutch pedal to start the car and the cruise works exactly how it should.

Installed some grip tape on the pedals.

I'm curious, why is there rubber pads on brake and clutch pedals on cars? Am I the only one that hates the feel of wet shoes on rubber? Its the same reason I hate all weather floor mats. Just seems like there could be a much better way to have sure footing on the pedals....like something actually grippy. Just saying.

Cars done, buttoned up with all the spares in it ready for its new home back up in Washington.

Been a super fun project and a great driving car.

Onto the next one....

Sean