• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1979 242DL - Analog Motoring

Well share with the class because I had it in 2 cars with 3 transmissions, Kyle has it, Hurlurd has it, and several others mentioned it.

Well share with the class because I had it in 2 cars with 3 transmissions, Kyle has it, Hurlurd has it, and several others mentioned it.

I had a really excellent driveshaft shop modify my driveshaft, it's still a 2 piece unit with completely stock Volvo back half, it's a WC 4 cylinder trans, stock worn out mustang rubber mount, I haven't lowered/tweaked/adjusted the rear suspension/axle at all, Pennzoil synchromesh fluid.

I only have T5 rattles on decel at 2.5k rpm...otherwise it is relatively quiet.

So how many miles/km now on this combo? Curious how the bambino B21 is liking all that head flow?

Also, curious why you stayed with the long runner intake & custom built the TB attachment, rather than Babb'sing the "short runners" and leaving the rest stock?

Give us an update.

I only have a few hundred miles on the B21/16v swap so far, but the B21 handles the added airflow just fine.

I chose to keep the B234 intake manifold runner length stock and rework the throttle body based on this note on Yoshifab’s 16V page:
http://yoshifab.com/store/images/volvo/16v head swap.htm
…Volvo got the runner length right, by shortening them you are moving the power band higher than the rest of the head is setup for.

I recently converted the fuel computer to LH2.4 while retaining the EZ-117K ignition system.

My main reason for doing this was to enable use of a stock B234 fuel computer + injectors with the 16v swap. From what I could tell, LH2.2 did ok with the 16v addition when warmed up. However, cold starts were rough in general and got worse as the weather turned colder. I thought this might happen due to the injectors being oversized for LH2.2. When I realized I could swap to a LH2.4 ECU without also swapping to crank triggered ignition (EZ-116K), I decided to give it a go. My B21 block does not have provisions for the crank position sensor required for EZ-116K.

A few evenings and wiring diagrams later, I had a donor LH2.4 harness depopulated for fuel I/O only. I also wired in the CEL to the “choke” indicator on the dash. The diagnostic port also works as intended.
9G0d5nCl.jpg

lIqVi9bl.jpg

I used the Ford T5 VSS and a Dakota Digital SGI-5E to generate the digital vehicle speed input for LH2.4 (hat tip to Canuck).
https://forums.tbforums.com/showpost.php?p=4988923&postcount=12
xUC1mjvl.jpg

First time it ran and warmed up it threw a 3-1-2 code for the knock enrichment signal missing. I realized that the knock enrichment function is part of the B230FT EZ-117K system only and my sbabbs 16v n/a EZ-117K box did not have the function and was not providing a signal to the ECU. Regardless, the LH2.4 ECU needs a 7.5V signal at pin 28 when the engine is running, so I wired in a 12v / 7.5V step down converter to pin 28. So far so good, no more CEL. Maybe an alternate chip could resolve this issue too, have to follow up with sbabbs on that one, but the converter was only $7 :e-shrug:.
yvD78LGl.jpg

Overall the car handles cold starts much better and is more responsive and smooth. In other words, how I would expect a stock B234 to run. :)

LH2.4 pinout information
https://ipdown.net/jetronic.info/tiki-index.php?page=LH2.4+Pinouts+and+Diagrams

Some misc pics:
zj6gbJvl.jpg

FCXKAvvl.jpg

E4JOWZjl.jpg

Looking good Mike, you sure did a nice job on the wiring. Under the hood looks great. When did you covert to quad squares? Always loved that front end with a flathood.

Looking sharp, seconded on the quad squares being a great look.

The 16v looks right at home as well, really digging this build.

Yes sir.... intake runner length drives the torque the engine will produce. While I've not written the equations to prove it to myself (compressible flow is a really tricky subject), every article I've read on the subject says the same thing..... short runners create a HIGH RPM manifold. Like Yoshi, I'm sure Volvo (Porsche?) engineers got that runner length tuned quite carefully. Your bottom approach is similar to my old B21F intake, now EFI converted, on my 9 series sedan. I'm curious now, if the B21 intakes could be sectioned to build your modified bottom throttle body setup? What TB did you use, and what spool?

Ironically, I now use a 240 throttle pedal assembly and cable in my 9 series...... with just a few tweaks, it fell right into position...

I didn't realize you had a B21 manifold on your 940T...read back through your thread for the details. Nice work!

Yes, I believe you could merge a B21 manifold with a 16v intake flange to get a similar end product to what I made.

For my manifold I reused a B230 throttle body and throttle spool. Had to make my own connection rod between the two, but that was simple enough.

Last edited:
went for a social distancing drive over the wknd
0AWdNf5l.jpg

considering adding a resonator to the exhaust...something like a Dynomax 24215
currently running a 240T system (single rear muffler)

A resonator is great on these 4 bangers..... I had to add a VIBRANT stainless version right in front of my rear axle, as my car developed the dreaded DROOOOOOOONE on the freeway, with the 3 inch DP and aftermarket CAT system. A resonator doesn't hurt performance at all IMO, and will make your drives more pleasure filled. Hopefully you won't have to MIG weld stainless, which is a PITA to say the least.

@Harlard...:rofl: it is less exciting than a romp in your 16vT, but I'll grab a vid of a run through the gears sometime

@JW240...thanks! I am going to stick with LH for now. Besides the "learn something new factor" I do not think I will end up in a better spot by switching to uS with my current setup.

@JW240...thanks! I am going to stick with LH for now. Besides the "learn something new factor" I do not think I will end up in a better spot by switching to uS with my current setup.

Yeah. Thinking back to the 740 16V a friend used to own, with slightly modified LH and some mods to intake/exhaust, that engine ran so good and had excellent power. Can imagine that you won't see huge gains in performance when it is running good now. Or that it is lacking anything drive-ability wise. A +T on the other hand, maybe there is some underlying issue with mine, not so good and thinking of switching.

@Harlard...:rofl: it is less exciting than a romp in your 16vT, but I'll grab a vid of a run through the gears sometime

Excitement? That's one way to describe the impending sense of getting into some deep ****.

Honestly at this point I slightly regret doing the turbo and not having done a low rear end. The fun is wringing it out. Anything fun now involves getting to speeds that can land one in jail in a hurry.

Back