• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Boosted on a budget

When I installed the tubular exhaust manifold, I wasnt too happy with how close the alternator was to the manifold. The heat will probably reduce the life of it so I decided to move it to the driver side (USA). I also wanted to get a better alternator. I ended up buying a new one that is 280amps. I figured this would do great for the air suspension compressors and E-Fan etc. The problem I was faced is that it doesnt fit the stock 240 brackets.. Any of them. Well I got out a sheet of steel and made some templates from cardboard and ended up with a Ghetto bracket. After test fitting, I welded it up and powder coated it. Picked up some new belts and it is exactly what I wanted. Check it out:

jGjw2fi.jpg

HusTW5f.jpg

a6uFe0w.jpg

XLd7HPU.jpg

pVtgMyx.jpg

Also having a quality gun does matter.
I use this

To do this

Atomization of pearl and metallic is important and cheap guns suck at it. Your car looks great my man

I knew it! I about bought shook the old lady to death telling her to look at this car when he drove by. Fyi I may or may not have reeeallly good pix of this car I took with my cannon rebel t7i...I'll check

It was a fun show for sure. Even though the wagon isn’t German I still represented.

I have a second hand MS2V3.0 ECU and I built a new harness for it. Only took me a couple years... Being the MS is second hand, I really have no idea what the individual had it configured for. I was told it was used on a 740. Chris Dodson has been helping me and pretty much went through the ECU and set up some things I wanted (Individual COP outputs etc.). While going over everything one last time and trying to understand how all this **** works, I started questioning certain things that were wired in the box.

Thoughts from the experts on the following:
1. Looks like the board is configured for Coil Negative Ignition. However, I have the DB37 wired up for using the stock VR 60-2 CPS which is what I am wanting....
Why do I feel its Coil Negative? :
a. The board has TSEL jumped to OPTOOUT and the TACHSELECT jumped to OPTOIN.
b. XG2 is jumped to XG1.
However, Coil Negative states D1, D2, and C30 should be fitted. D1 and D2 are both just jumped between both of their leg holes and C30 is just plain empty...

2. If I am right and that is wired as Coil Negative, what do I need to do to change this to work with the stock CPS as VR?
a. Manual says TSEL to VROUT and TACHSELECT to VRIN
b. Manual shows diodes in D1 and D2... do I need them? remember mine is just jumped with a wire...

3. What does Pin 36 *IGN OUTPUT get wired to? I cant seem to find out this information. I have a brown wire just waiting here for somewhere to go...
a. Chris wired up Spark outputs using the resistor method in the Proto area to run COP LS2 coils. I think this may answer the pin 36 question but I am unsure..
b. Does it get wired into the stock tachometer somewhere? if yes, which wire?
c. If b.is no, What operates the tachometer reading?

4. Do I need a resistor inline with the CPS wiring? I have read people were having cut out issues and start up issues without one...

Any help you guys can provide me will be greatlyt appreciated as I have no car until this is finished...

I have a second hand MS2V3.0 ECU and I built a new harness for it. Only took me a couple years... Being the MS is second hand, I really have no idea what the individual had it configured for. I was told it was used on a 740. Chris Dodson has been helping me and pretty much went through the ECU and set up some things I wanted (Individual COP outputs etc.). While going over everything one last time and trying to understand how all this **** works, I started questioning certain things that were wired in the box.

Thoughts from the experts on the following:
1. Looks like the board is configured for Coil Negative Ignition. However, I have the DB37 wired up for using the stock VR 60-2 CPS which is what I am wanting....
Why do I feel its Coil Negative? :
a. The board has TSEL jumped to OPTOOUT and the TACHSELECT jumped to OPTOIN.
b. XG2 is jumped to XG1.
However, Coil Negative states D1, D2, and C30 should be fitted. D1 and D2 are both just jumped between both of their leg holes and C30 is just plain empty...

2. If I am right and that is wired as Coil Negative, what do I need to do to change this to work with the stock CPS as VR?
a. Manual says TSEL to VROUT and TACHSELECT to VRIN
b. Manual shows diodes in D1 and D2... do I need them? remember mine is just jumped with a wire...

3. What does Pin 36 *IGN OUTPUT get wired to? I cant seem to find out this information. I have a brown wire just waiting here for somewhere to go...
a. Chris wired up Spark outputs using the resistor method in the Proto area to run COP LS2 coils. I think this may answer the pin 36 question but I am unsure..
b. Does it get wired into the stock tachometer somewhere? if yes, which wire?
c. If b.is no, What operates the tachometer reading?

4. Do I need a resistor inline with the CPS wiring? I have read people were having cut out issues and start up issues without one...

Any help you guys can provide me will be greatlyt appreciated as I have no car until this is finished...

Sorry I was vague and unresponsive this weekend. Had a lot on my plate and not a lot of time to get it accomplished.

I really wish you didnt lose that wiring diagram... from my notes Pin 36 is to drive your tach. It goes to whatever wire from your tach that would have been on the coil- of your stock install.

It looks like I set it up for a hall sensor. that would explain the opto isolated input rather than the on board VR conditioner input for crank sensor. My bad, for some reason I must have thought you were going to go with new hall sensor rather than the VR stuff.

Manual states nothing about D1/D2 for VR installs. XG 1 and XG2 are not used either.
v3pcb_3.gif

Here is the tach (crank signal input) schematic for the VR and opto circuits. Follow the schematic an make sure that the hardware is fitted for the lower diagram (VR).

The coil drivers should go out to 4 wires or a db15, I didnt have that in my notes. one for each coil. they are just the triggers, so you will need to route 12v, gnd to your coils also. This will need to stay configured in the software in Tuner Studio as WASTED COP, as you do not have any cam signal.

Back