• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MS2 spark output woes

MrBrown

No stim/just bench tests. Read the Hardware manual 50 11 times over and over.
Last chance before I have fun with a torch.

Here it goes...
ECU: MS2 V3.0
Firmware: MS2/Extra 3.4.3 release 20191126 15:29BST(c)KC/JSM/JB
Ign Outputs: Wasted Spark COP/CNP, LS2 coils. Board designed using Logic spark outputs D14, D15, D16, and JS11 (pull up resistor).
Stock 60-2 VR missing tooth on crank.
Board setup per manual: Jumper VRIN to TACHSELECT, VrOUT to TSEL, D1 is just jumpered (no diode) same for D2. IGN to JS10 (tacho output), JS9 to S12C, J
Tunerstudio settings: Falling Edge, Going Low, wasted COP, Spark A output D14.

ECU turns on and connects to tunerstudio. Test mode fires off the fuel pumps and all injectors as well.

The problem: During test mode, Coil outputs A,B, and C all fire a coil (using a single confirmed working coil for each test just swapping connectors). Output D does not fire at all. All pins in the connectors receive power, ground, and sensor ground. The logic pin has been tested for open circuitry from the connector to the ECU proto board and all have continuity (nothing open).

Where should I even begin to further troubleshoot?

Last edited:
What circuits are you using for Spark A,B,C,D? Can you post a link, or a manual version/page?

Without a cam sensor, the best you can do is wasted spark, or wasted COP. You can wire these up using only 2 spark outputs -- wire SpkA to 1&4, SpkB to 2&3.

So using COP wasted spark, you aren’t supposed to have outputs C and D?

Im using the 60-2 CPS for triggering and the folowing for wasted spark COP:
A uses D14
B uses D16
C uses D15
D uses built circuit from JS11

Are you using the circuits here (i.e. you added a resistor for A,B,C, and 2 resistors plus a transistor for D)?
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.pdf/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.html

These circuits should be able to drive 2 logic level COPs per output. IIRC, some VAG coils need higher power and it's better to wire them as 1 COP per output (if you have the pins available). There should be good info available on different types of COPs/CoilPerPlugs if you search for V8 megasquirt ignition setups. With LS2 coils, you should be able to drive 2 per output.

Yes, the resistor method used for logic level coils was used. There are 5 additional resistors and a transistor all used for the outputs. Each coil should receive spark on its own accord through this method. The system is setup for wasted spark and will fire dual coils as Chris stated.

Since I can’t get spark in output D, I will remove the wiring to C and D and run the logic output wires to A and B. The hell with it.

If this doesn’t work you will see it for sale soon.

Can you post a composite logger of your crank signal? I foresee issues if you don't have a VR conditioner for that crank pickup. Also, can you split the signal for Spk A and Spk B? That should simplify your outputs and let you run wasted COP with logic level coils.

Can you post a composite logger of your crank signal? I foresee issues if you don't have a VR conditioner for that crank pickup. Also, can you split the signal for Spk A and Spk B? That should simplify your outputs and let you run wasted COP with logic level coils.

I haven’t attempted to turn the car over yet as I started only messing with test mode I/O’s.

As far as the VR goes, I wire the stock connector to the PINs as stated in the manual. The shielded wire is tied into pin 2 and the VR+ to pin 24 and VR- to pin 1. Not sure what a conditioner is unless you’re speaking of adding the 10k resistor to VR+ Which I haven’t yet..

Last night I looped Spark A and Spark D logic wires to one another and it uses D14 resistor method on the proto board for signal. Same for B and C which uses D16 resistor method. Now I am wasted spark on Spark A for cylinders 1 and 4, and Spark B for cylinders 2 and 3.

Back