• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1984 B23F Idle Tuning Mystery Gremlin

jjcarr

Car:
1984 244 GL non-turbo B23F 4 cyl automatic

***This is a perhaps a real nit-picky account of fine tuning, but I'm convinced there's some small issue somewhere that i'd like to solve and get my car idling 100% stock.

STORY:
California car purchased about 14 months ago, sat for some years but was in amazing cosmetic condition with ~160000 miles. over the last year I have put some major elbow grease into the vehicle and completely overhauled almost everything outside the engine block. It's driven approx. 15,000 miles in the last year and only broken down once (alternator died). Stunningly, I've routinely measured it at 27 mpg on the freeway (without roof rack). however, city driving I have measured at anywhere from 12-18 mpg since I live in a crowded metro area. City mileage still seems very low... the car had issues with rich fuel mix when I first started working on it but replacing the ECU and a handful of other repairs brought it up to snuff enough to pass CA smog with flying colors last summer.
the car runs great, looks great, would drive across the USA tomorrow, but...

ISSUE:
I've been attempting to fine tune the idle on my car and I'm noticing some strange inconsistencies.
I've been having an issue where I drive to work (short distance) in the morning, and in the afternoon (approx 8/9 hrs later) the car often stumbles on the first start.
I recently did a routine throttle body clean, replaced the gasket, cleaned flame trap etc. It looked pretty clean already- interior of intake manifold was sparkly clean, intake bendy hose inspected for holes, air filter clean, MAF cleaned ~2 months ago and output voltage tuned to 1 volt.
While I was cleaning the throttle body I noticed a trickle of gas on the vacuum end of my fuel pressure regulator- ok, bought a new OEM fuel pressure regulator and installed successfully.
When I returned to tuning the idle, I found that closing the adjustment screw all the way only brought the engine down to around 1200 RPM. I wiggled the electrical connector on my position sensor and it dropped back down to a rough 750 and needed to have the air manually adjusted up to ~1100rpm to smooth it out. I cleaned the contacts on it and reinstalled the plug.

The main issue is that when the car is warm, the idle should be stable at around 750-900rpm as far as I know. the lowest idle I can tune in that is consistently smooth is around 1100 RPM fully warmed.
Almost all the fuel and air regulating parts/gaskets/hoses have been replaced in the last year as I've restored the vehicle. All vacuum hoses tested for leaks, none. It even has new engine wiring looms (original was a crumbly mess that disintegrated in my hands as I tore it out). I have not performed any mods linking this to that to increase fuel for cold weather etc. as indicated several places online, it's as stock as they come.
As far as I understand it, the thing should be holding a constant idle no matter how i've been driving it except for when it is first warming up. I am aware that the b23f supposedly runs a bit lean when cold and can idle a little rough until warming up- confirmed.

*The problem is every time I drive the car the idle seems to change. sometimes it's very stable at 900, sometimes it's up around 1300-1400 if I've just come off a long drive on the freeway. Even when the car is holding a 'smooth' idle, it has a small periodic shudder that I can feel from the drivers seat. the last thing is that if I leave it idling, about once every 15/20 minutes or so the engine will surge to above 2000rpm for ~1 second and then return to normal.

Have I gone too far? is this just normal gremlins for an old B23F?
I have a multimeter and some basic electrical knowledge so I'm comfortable taking readings if people need. the car is almost 100% dialed, but I can't seem to get this last little mystery solved.
throttle position sensor? electrical? bad ground? weird relay? ECU idle circuit about to 'splode?

Anything that would help point me in the right direction would be helpful.
I'm feel like I might be expecting too much out of an old engine, but maybe not?

BONUS: Information about replacing electrolytic caps in the 503 ECU (I think there are a couple, it's been a while since i've opened it). can I just swap them out without having to do some crazy cryptic calibration procedure?

Try wiggling the engine compartment wires (TPS, Coolant, tach@coil, Idle air valve, distributor sensor) and the wire bundle going to the ECU connector while idling and see if it hiccups or changes idle speed. My K-Jet had an erratic idle brought on by going over bumps and it turned out to be a loose pin at the CIS (Constant Idle) controller box.

For caps, electrolytics are notorious for very bad tolerance, especially over lifetime, so it's very unlikely that there is anything precision calibrated. Just swap them for the same uf microfarad rating, and same or higher voltage rating. You can go a little higher on the uf rating if you need to (maybe 30%?).

Which fuel system is used on this car? When I tried looking it up I found both K-Jet and LH-Jetronic was used for 1984. Okay, I did further searching and found mention of 1984 B23F using LH-2.0

This car should be with a hall distributor and a mechanical advance by flight weights. If the return springs are broken or the central shaft isn't lubed or stacked by corrosion this effect will appear.
Check the ignition time while reving up the engine and idle several runs.
Remove the cap and try to turn the rotor back and forward. It should turn some degree and cone back by his own

Good luck, Kay

Have I gone too far? is this just normal gremlins for an old B23F?

Doesn't sound normal to me. Bob mentioned wiggling wires under the hood; I am wondering about your engine harness. I didn't see any mention of it in your post as to whether it had been replaced. The original harness can be counted on to work poorly in some way, at some time.

Edit: saw your other thread regarding the harness...

If it idles at a different speed every time you drive it, I am thinking you should also look for vacuum leaks.

Doesn't sound normal to me. Bob mentioned wiggling wires under the hood; I am wondering about your engine harness. I didn't see any mention of it in your post as to whether it had been replaced. The original harness can be counted on to work poorly in some way, at some time.

Edit: saw your other thread regarding the harness...

If it idles at a different speed every time you drive it, I am thinking you should also look for vacuum leaks.

I'm going to work through some of the suggestions people have made in the next day or so.

in response to above:
engine wiring harness is completely replaced as of about 1 year ago (inspected new harness and integrity of wires and connectors was looking pretty good before install) and i've checked for vacuum leaks with some carb cleaner and found none.

I did notice a little corrosion on one of the female connector crimps in the throttle position sensor 3 pin connector (black wire with white stripe) and attempted to clean, however if somebody can tell me how to pop the pin on those wires and get them out of the connector that would be great.
I've tried finding the locking tab with a tiny flat screwdriver but no success... I assume these are notoriously obnoxious to remove pins from.

the constant idle valve was replaced with one from a junkyard about a year ago as well, looked clean and non-sticky inside before install not to mention I cleaned it out nicely. It may be time to just spring for a 100% new one anyways since I have no idea how old it is.

I do have an extra TPS on hand but I'm going to pursue the wiring first as I'm pretty confident that the mechanical components are in good working order.

I saved the original harness so I could plunder connectors etc from it, so I'll try practicing removing pins from the bosch style connector on that. but if people have tips for getting those out it might save some accidental damage

thanks for the responses so far!

For caps, electrolytics are notorious for very bad tolerance, especially over lifetime, so it's very unlikely that there is anything precision calibrated. Just swap them for the same uf microfarad rating, and same or higher voltage rating. You can go a little higher on the uf rating if you need to (maybe 30%?).

awesome, I'll be recapping the ECU soon then without any hesitation then. I have three of them actually... one installed in my vehicle that works, one that seems to run extremely fuel rich, and one that is completely dead.
I'm used to working on old electronic musical instruments and generally when I replace old electrolytics on those portions of the circuit need to be recalibrated, glad to know I can just pop them in and forget about it.

This car should be with a hall distributor and a mechanical advance by flight weights. If the return springs are broken or the central shaft isn't lubed or stacked by corrosion this effect will appear.
Check the ignition time while reving up the engine and idle several runs.
Remove the cap and try to turn the rotor back and forward. It should turn some degree and cone back by his own

Good luck, Kay

I'm not quite sure how to check this... my knowledge of the distributer system is not very good.
the car has an electronic/vacuum driven ICU that I thought did the timing advance as speed increases. if I remember correctly the distributor does have an electronic plug on the side but the rotor does not move at all back and forth with a spring motion. perhaps this is a different configuration.

Which fuel system is used on this car? When I tried looking it up I found both K-Jet and LH-Jetronic was used for 1984. Okay, I did further searching and found mention of 1984 B23F using LH-2.0

yes LH-2.0 jetronic with the 503 ECU

ok, so I seem to have the issue under control. two factors, both having to do with the TPS/TB. I replaced the pin on the TPS black and white wire (heavily corroded) and it seems like my TPS was knocked out of alignment somehow and the TB was stuck open just a crack during idle.
I rotated the TPS slightly and everything seems a lot more stable. really have no idea how that got moved as I never unbolted it.
so for the moment, ISSUE SOLVED. it's usually something simple isn't it...
my car seems to idle anywhere between 850RPM and 1050 now depending on how warmed up the vehicle is but the idle is smooth and i'm less concerned. I'll have to go through the full calibration procedure soon and see if I can get it down a little more but it's no longer steadily climbing to upwards of 1500rpm when hot.

I'm was extremely happy to find that the interior of my intake manifold was sparkling clean and the engine seems to start every time almost immediately with no prolonged cranking or stumbling.

Back