• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Volvo-powered Willys CJ3a

Picked up a filter and made the template for the air box.
More to come.

ABkuHLV.jpg

p2Bxefb.jpg

My daily two hour allowance towards this just flies by. :-(

I got the pieces for this air box cut out. After I traced the pattern, I re-assembled the cardboard templates and measured the angles so I could write the numbers on the corresponding bend marks.

nFkqzTc.jpg

okW0Jq0.jpg

With the air cleaner in place:

trGoEki.jpg

Now that the corners are tacked and the inner frame is in place, I can massage the bends a little to fine-tune the joints before welding it up.

Air box is done. Glad that?s behind me.

The left half of the unit bolts to the firewall, and the right half bolts to the left half using three wingnut-headed bolts (wingbolts?).
Air filter cartridge replacement is tool-less.

I had to make those sections of tubing out of sheet stock. PITA.

QNxia2i.jpg

The sealing ring weld needed to be coped to get a good seal against the filter. Another PITA.

3lC7Q97.jpg

Assembled:

wL08M2d.jpg

Installed:

7K5y0ay.jpg

View from the engine bay. I had to pipe it out where I previously had the coil. I think the coil will now get mounted to the center air box stud.

I?ll wait to think about the intake tube routing through the engine bay until it?s all assembled. I might actually bring it through the upper inside corner of the fender.

2GMF41G.jpg

I got the clutch cable hooked up. Pull is stiff, but travel distance is dead on. Feels like friction more than a leverage issue. I’m thinking it will ease up some when I grease the pedal pivot.

2ZqMHlv.jpg

XR8TTtK.jpg

I still need to hook up the return spring (bottom hole on the pivot arm). It’ll get welded up next time the body is off.

AGr5Lfo.jpg

cj jeep

awesome craftmanship. I am a jeep guy too. Used to go with my uncle in enduros back in the day.Looking forward to see the finished product.

Thanks guys!

This thread has decidedly killed any of my daydreams about repowering the neighbors Willys plow truck that I'm trying to annex.

Why did this kill your dreams? You mean it MOTIVATED you!! :)

I love your pickup build! I try not to let your husky cloud my opinions of you too much. :-P

DyDy5Br.jpg

AYr8E5V.jpg

Doing some repairs to our CJ5 this winter. Maybe will plan a roadtrip to come visit next summer and check out /compare the two, might be fun

Why did this kill your dreams? You mean it MOTIVATED you!! :)

I love your pickup build! I try not to let your husky cloud my opinions of you too much. :-P

haha, maybe if I can get my dad roped into it! We do get bored during the winters. It's a real field rat but something really cool about it. I'll try to find a pic and post it, no idea what year it is maybe you guys can narrow it down.

and thanks, the pickup is a fun project! And I love my fake swedish KTM thank you very much :-P

Back