• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1991 744 Turbo (the Race Car)

rps20131125_211043.jpg

Left is 215/45/17 on 7" wheels off the 944, 2 years old and starting to crack in the tread.

Right is the 265/35/18 on 8.5" wheels off the 744, 2.5 years old and dry to the point that I can still spin them from a 50+ roll.

Behind are the new 265/35/18's that are going in place of the old.

Right now I have the 215/45/17 mounted onto the 744, Do i dare take it out for a drive to see what traction is like @ 350whp???

Well two of the bolt holes on my intake manifold stripped out (for throttle cable) so I have been in need of replacing it, so This is what I have been up to.

I really wanted to dyno this setup but it looks like I will have to dyno this NEW setup and then rebuild my monster plenum and dyno with that to see changes.

This is my problem right now, throttle body and upper rad hose are a weeee bit to close to each other, This is semi my fault because of the 92+ n/a radiator but the stock -91 placement of it (because of the 4" thick IC)
rps20131221_175057.jpg

So this was the first test fit on what I want to do
rps20131221_175318_362.jpg

And this is the problem
rps20131221_185642.jpg

And this is my temp solution for it
rps20131221_175753_121.jpg

Here is my kickdown setup, Not ideal but once it runs I will test out and possibly redo.
rps20131221_175506_829.jpg

Here are all of the cables assembled.
rps20131221_175706.jpg

So later this week I will make some spacers to mount the IC a little higher and bolted in place to the chassis. From there I will make brackets to mount the stock radiator about 1" lower than stock placement so i can run that until I get my new radiator in place and fixed.

As for my new radiator ya'll will have to wait and guess until get is completed and done, but the basic Idea is an off the shelf $130 shipped to my door aluminum radiator flipped around with two new fittings on the rad for the overflow tank and small hose on the overflow.

Mine had stripped out threads and needed to be repaired, being that it will take a while to get fixed I also wanted to see the difference in plenum size as I want to be sure that mine was not hurting power.

This way I Can dyno with this one and then once mine is repaired swap back to the other one and redyno, that way I can not only help myself make sure I am making proper power but I can also help us know which size plenum and runners might be better setup for our engines. Plus mine makes alternator swap and a few other things a bit more effort because of the size.

Not like there is a ton of dyno info out there on custom intakes comparing things on Volvo Engines.

Ahh ok look forward to seeing the difference. If you you decide on selling the beast let me know I have cash in hand.

My old one will not be sold, once fixed it will be going into the regina car before I MS it, but if I V8 that then who knows. Either way no way it would ever fit in a 240, this is a 7/9 part only.

Well good news is the car is running again, I am going to do plugs possibly tomorrow (finally switching to WR6DC+ which is one range colder than stock and one range hotter than what most people run). I still need to pressure test the system and check for any possible leaks along with finish filling the coolant before I test drive it.

Not 100% happy with the intercooler pipes but for now it will do until my new Rad gets fixed up and installed.

I build a custom bar (no pictures) for the IC to sit on and from there I have the lower rad mounts. This allowed me to lower the rad just slightly.

Tons of issues with TB's with the evap fittings so I need to make a new TPS bracket for one of them and then I can finally hook the evap back up.

And pictures.

New upper mounts
nini_800.jpg

nini_801.jpg

Horrible pictures of the lower mounts
nini_803.jpg

nini_802.jpg

Test fitting fittings for the base, I should of used 90deg fittings for them all as they all hit something, the brake booster and heater controls line semi hit the heater hose hose and what was my PCV system so I had to relocate that hose
nini_804.jpg

Way to tight of a radius bends out of intercooler and into TB
nini_806.jpg

Clearance around the Hoses
nini_807.jpg

nini_808.jpg

Fittings under
nini_810.jpg

All installed
nini_805.jpg

nini_811.jpg

I have not test drove it yet, it still idles like crap but that could be bad plugs or just the beat to hell motor, plus it was a cold start after a month of not running. I will check for pressure leaks today and then possibly test drive.

Well it drove around the block, made 10psi just fine, but after idling for 10-20 mins it developed a miss at idle and under load it seems to miss at the same pressure.

Going to change the plugs tomorrow and do a compression test, If it needs another HG I am so ready to call it a day with this Volvo motor stuff, V8 is really getting close to go in.

Back