• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Canadian 1984 244 DL B21A/B6304 project log.

Carb rebuild kits should arrive tomorrow...and the manifold MIGHT be ready. The welding shop said early in the week :).

Meanwhile, I'm bored, so I made velocity stacks.
nQnfI9sn_o.jpg

Red ABS, because might as well stick with the theme.

It's alive again.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4qUFtblaP5w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still no exhaust, and that D-cam certainly doesn't seem terribly smooth during warmup. I'm not convinced my ignition is the best, so the lumpiness doesn't concern me currently. I'm getting a solid 50 psi oil pressure at 2000 rpm, which is great for an unknown engine :).

The stacks were too long so I am making some shorter ones, and I have no idea how I'm going to manage that linkage...but I'm sure something will come to me soon.

Everything is done!

...and one of the carbs is cracked at the fuel inlet. It's a banjo bolt setup, so it must have been over-tightened (by me...possibly) at some point. Some JB weld and thread sealant has me crossing my fingers currently. If it doesn't work I'll have to figure out a way to replace the rotten float mount on the third ZS CD175 I got from the B30 penta engine and swap everything over.

There's no pictures, because I didn't want to let the fuel waterfall continue long enough for me to get my camera.

Fuel leak solved with JB weld and thread sealer :).

The D-cam is certainly lumpy, even after running long enough to warm up. I'm not totally sure that the engine is 100% healthy, or that the penta distributor I added vac advance and pertronix to isn't a problem...but the timing is rock solid at 10* at idle. It certainly revs up clean though, so if the snow melts a bit I may try to take it around the block and see what the air fuels are like with the 2AA needles.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ei237N14ATk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, we're in lockdown until mid Jan here, but luckily I still get to go to work. While I'm off for the holidays I tackled the MSD ignition install, because carbs LOVE good spark. It's not for horsepower, it's for efficient cylinder kabooms, and the benefits are already clear.

Warning...swear words.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dxm1XjiGDR0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I also added some 1/4 spacers to allow more room for the throttle cable quadrant, since it was hitting the manifold at rest. I'm going to add a piece to the throttle pedal arm where the cable connects, since I barely get full throttle travel when going WOT. That'll be for another day though, I have months to poke at it.

Found a set of ZS carbs off a B20 on Ebay.ca for $230 CAD shipped...so I grabbed them :).

[Edit]So, after doing a bit more research...they're actually off a B21/B23 from 1980+! They're not dual carbs, but instead two singles that someone is selling as a pair. This is even better, IMO :).

Last edited:
Ebay carbs arrived...and it's good news all around :).

FD6ugUZ7_o.jpg

They're two OG Canadian B21A carbs from 80-84. One was definitely refurbished and has some odd tweaks, and the other is just about as expected for an older carb. I'm considering making a set of hybrid, super-adjustable carbs out of them using the Penta versions I'm on now as donors. Swapping the adjustable jets into a set of bodies with an idle mixture/bleed screw...overrun diaphragms...spring-loaded needles...etc. It would be killer :).

Got a dual-EGT setup from www.auberins.com since I've used their stuff before and I really like it. I'll be putting one in cyl 1 and cyl 4 to check the mixture balance between carb banks (1-2 and 3-4). Dual widebands would have been better but this was a LOT cheaper, and I really only care about syncing the carbs, not the AFR, since I have a wideband further downstream anyway. If I ever end up going back to fuel injection with a stock intake, it'll be interesting to see how much the cyls differ too.

gpArUH2Y_o.jpg

9jZMKLtM_o.jpg

The best thing about Auber Instruments gauges is that they're configurable for virtually any automotive sensor, including wideband O2s. If I decide to remove the EGTs, I can monitor coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure, boost, etc etc etc :).

w64GdmyN_o.jpg

Converted the Penta 'chokes' (all they do is crack the throttle and add gas, so ZS calls them 'starter discs' or something like that) from manual operation (like on a motorbike) to remote/cable operation. This actually kinda sucked because I needed to buy parts carbs to get what I needed, and then I had to modify some of the Penta linkage to get it to work. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given what I chose to do, but ugh. I also hopefully addressed the chronically leaky float bowl gaskets, but I won't know that until it runs again. Spring is getting closer here, so my motivation is improving...and I have a list of things to install/do in the meantime :).

Last edited:
This car is getting a stereo...and it's been a long time since I've done any installs. I forgot how slow it is to do it right, ugh. Luckily I had enough ABS plastic left to make a nice fascia for the lower cubby.

bBMtQHr3_o.png

The Choke Saga is OVER. I took a chance on an unknown and it paid off perfectly. I needed a dual-carb choke cable and the ones used on a Triumph TR6 looked like a good fit, so I ordered one from Moss Motors. It turned out to be the perfect length and fit, so now I can call the job done. These carbs don't have accelerator pumps, so the usual 'pump the gas, crack the throttle, turn the key' startup routine is kinda pointless. These chokes add fuel as well as crack the throttle, so they're essential, IMO.

zieiDlQz_o.jpg

Not until I come up with a good way to do it. There's very little space between the rear carb and the brake booster :(. I've been trying to design something, but I am having 3D-printer-block. I've thought about curved horns into a filter box, which I THINK I have the space for, but it's not done yet.

I've got parts on the way to make an entirely new throttle cable linkage, which will move it away from the front of the carbs. That'll give me a bit more wiggle room too.

I'm STOKED!
I grabbed these off ebay.ca (and from a canadian seller close to me, to boot!) for $480 CAD. They're virtually NEW, and are deceptively awesome inside. They're emissions Dellorto DHLA40 carbs, which are some of my favourite, but they're not very tuneable for anything outside of their original application (Alfa Romeos from the 70s, mostly)...but they've been converted to universal performance spec by Gabriele David (Alfa1750 on ebay) who is the king of Dellorto carbs. They now have three progression holes, adjustable idle jet air bleeds (as opposed to the fixed emission bleeds), and function on regular emulsion tubes instead of the three emissions tubes available. They're as close to a brand new set of DHLA40s as anyone can get, and they cost me LESS than a set of Aliexpress chinese DCOE40 weber clones :).

mIAHDb7Z_o.jpg

I am not going to use them yet, since I still haven't made a manifold, and I am genuinely interested in seeing how the Zenith Strombergs work out. I've got intake and DCOE flanges being cut at the metal place now, so I'll make something over the summer :).

Last edited:
Finally got the stereo installed (well, deck and front speakers). I absolutely despise the way car radios look like control panels on UFOs or have dancing disco lightshows when you least expect it. I like simple, so I got one off ebay that fits the bill. No CD, no cassette, no bluetooth, just AM/FM, USB, and aux, with a pleasant amber display :).

oBXgfWEg_o.jpg

Back