• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

245 GL -90 "B6284T" and other 6-cyl builds

You mentioned using maxspeeding rods for the build. Were you able to purchase 6 rods from them or did you have to buy two sets of 5 to get enough?

Do a turbo build on the 960
That's one branch of the plans along with driveability. I did mostly buy it because I needed a winter car :lol:
Last week swapped in a M90, BC-Racing front coilovers with 450lbs springs(the same ones that I had in the V90) along with facelift spindles and 850/x70I brake calipers. IPD 25/25 sway bars, 302mm caliper brackets and some poly bushings might be here tomorrow. Grooved 302mm Ate Powerdiscs and pads just arrived.

Some pics just after buying here and changing to Gemini wheels.

You mentioned using maxspeeding rods for the build. Were you able to purchase 6 rods from them or did you have to buy two sets of 5 to get enough?
They and some other sellers will sell a set of 6 if you ask.

Where did you pull the oil feed on the b6304? And did you do an up pipe for the holset setup. And does the 93+intercooler work for the turbo setup?

On RWD blocks I've split oil feed from pressure sender and made exhaust manifolds myself. For 965 was thinking of using T6 manifolds as a base. With NA manifolds and up pipes it'll just look nasty.

The big 940 radiator has the same dimensions as a 960 radiator, so a stock intercooler fits into 960 as well. Never used one, always have had a 600x300x76 cheapo.

Using that type of manifold and flange makes a twin scroll exhaust housing useless. You (might) get a narrower rpm range. Aand Garrett is too expensive for my taste compared to the results over other makes.

In other news: installed previously mentioned parts in to 965. Now it just needs some power and I can call it a nice daily :nod:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I was suspicious of the 25mm rear sway bar being too much, but it doesn't seem to have much oversteer. Rear has old sloppy Nivomat shocks and their original springs(1 coil shorter) so it makes a lot. I wouldn't use any stiffer stuff on the rear for now. With this setup the balance and handling is quite nice on a small road with various bumps. I would like to have a stiffer front bar for ramps and other hard turns but this will do.

And I'm not saying there's anything wrong. Older manifolds are surprisingly decent and why not the newer too.
What I'm interested in is that is your turbo single or twin scroll? Haven't seen the newer T6 manifold but in your picture looks like might have a dual outlet? Now you could have a good possibility to try if there is any difference by dividing the flange afterwards.

Time to wake this thread up a bit.

965 got some Schwitzer off the shelf along with a better B6304. T6 exhaust manifolds with up pipes to the turbo and 850/x70R pressure plate with solid flywheel. Has served as a daily during the winter. It also received a quick facelift(unfinished) and both rear spoiler and a set of Aurigas from a 945 Classic which I had for a while.

1.jpg

31.jpg

The main car of this thread has been moving again since last Friday. It has another block with block guard and stock T6 pistons. New valve stem seals and a total of 1mm milled from the head because I want to have a higher compression than stock turbo 8.5. Have to visit a dyno at some point for adjustments.

Some new pics of the engine bay:
77.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

In other news:
Been looking for another 245 to build for some time and didn't find suitable candidates. Got one rolling -90 in exchange for previously mentioned 945. Then a week later friend offered a complete -92 B200F M47 which he got cheap. Before I picked that up, I bought back a red -90 B200F M45 which I sold around 4,5 years ago. If that's not enough a customer of ours offered a -88 B200E M47 because we had spoken about it last year. Didn't buy it yet but the price is quite tempting :rofl:

So, I was going to use the rolling chassis as a base but chose the -92. I'll just transfer -92 engine and -90 M45 to the rolling one and make a M47 swap to the -90. Red -90 is so good base for a restoration that I'm not going to build it more than swapping the transmission and doing some mods that won't be seen. Just have to paint both sides because of a bad paint job, change drivers seat(or just upholstery), speaker grills and mostly tidying up. I had a 850 drivers seat in but it was changed to a 240 seat with wrong upholstery.

I've started with the -92, repaired a couple of rust spots, checked the brakes and stuff and it's almost road legal again after sitting some time. Cat is damaged or empty and have to change that to clear the emissions test. After that I can start the build, easier to test drive when it's road legal(at least on paper). It's also tenth white 240 I have owned, -88 would be 11th if I buy it :wtf:
Some pics here

For now -92 will receive engine version 1 which is 965's old block, 2.5l head with 1.5mm milled off, 204hp cams, newer style timing belt, M90 tranny with dual mass flywheel and stock manifolds. Engine is almost assembled and transmission is waiting for assembly.

Evo 2 will include T6/2.9l crankshaft, 147mm rods, cams with more lift, compression suitable for NA, home made manifolds, lighter solid flywheel, etc.

Red -90 is a stranger in that sense, that it doesn't have power steering or central locking and has a M45 but it has metallic paint.
Old pics here.

Already over a month since last update, well here is another one.

"B6284T" suffered a generator failure on the road and called a friend to bring a second battery so that I could drive home. Swapped another generator from a junk S80. Might have to repair the old one if it's not completely toast. In retrospect it was getting weaker already last summer because fuel was trying to go lean on 1/4 mile on high rpm and load.

Installed powersteering pump with 960 pressure line, 240 reservoir and low pressure lines and now I need to add one more cooler... Had to swap the auxbracket to an unmolested one and cut it as little as possible. Pretty tight fit.

2.jpg

No other new parts for that car, just driving daily. Second primary fuel pump went dead, it was already around six years old so not that surprising.

-92 got it's "new" engine and tranny and some other stuff.
Made front part of driveshaft from junk lying around. Have a couple 740 front parts with the weird male spline, used front half of that and a back half of 240 M46 D24 shaft. No balancing afterwards, no vibrations either :-P

6.jpg

Made a 3" exhaust with biggest freeflow oval mufflers I could fit. Added the tail pipe later.
7.jpg

9.jpg

Engine made a loud knocking noise from the start and didn't stop. Listened that one or two lifters on the intake side were making it(cyl 5/6). Opened up the top and there were two lifters that moved completely without any resistance. Shoul've checked them better :roll:

Swapped in new valve stem seals because engine was smoking and I didn't do it before installing the head. Not a big job to do it at this point. Piston rings and worn block are the main reason for smoking. Nice that it didn't smoke at all before in 965(did consume oil) and engine was sitting only a couple of months. Poured some ATF on top of the pistons for a couple of days and all went through. Drove it hot, changed new oil and poured a can of STP Oil Treatment(which I like to use in "B6284T" too). Smoking reduced to a tolerable level and feels like it has reduced more since. Let's see what happens.

Sparco Sprint for the driver, Innovate MTX-L, new discs from Mtec, Ferodo DS2500 front pads and rear pads are EBC YellowStuff which had been on the shelf a long time. Polybushings for front control arm rears and Panhard. Cut the springs a bit to have a reasonable driving height, will update to coilovers once have enough money. Changed new seals to lower pistons on both front calipers. I have done some bedding in and brakes are starting to feel grippy.

11.jpg

Repaired tank sender unit. Welded new pipes, checked leaks with brakeclean, soldered wires to the old stumps and covered them with chemical metal, made a support for the wires and screwed it in using the screw as a ground point. Painted and corrosion protection on top of that. Now pump and fuel gauge are working.

14.jpg

15.jpg

Made a front undercover from thin sheet metal. Couldn't find stock one, it affects alot on the road and I'm going to drive some tomorrow.

16.jpg

Did an overall cleanup. Washed the worst dirt and vacuumed the interior. Paint is matted but not that matted as the picture shows.

28.jpg

31.jpg

Time for another -92 update.

Took it for a short roadtrip and on the way back dropped one cylinder and then shut off. Some troubleshooting on the side of the road in light rain and found that one coil had broken and burned ignition fuse. No spares so disconnected injector wire, made a jump on the engine bay fusebox and moved the power wire inside the car behind a fuse. At home made a quick look and it was not the coils fault, signal wire was grounded.

Next day took the intake off and heater hose had pressed the wiring against corner of the head. There is only tape from the factory and the corner had gone through. Taped it and put a piece of fuel hose over the loom to prevent further damages.

Swapped in a FL 960 23mm front sway bar and made the endlinks. Tried without the stock rear sway bar for a day and it was terrible to drive. Needs much more stiffer suspension to drive without. Adjusted the cams some and now it pulls decently on higher rpm too. Needs dyno time for better adjustments.

Installed old fiberglass hood and some new locks. It's around 1/3 of the weight of the original(6,4 vs 20kg). I've had the hood ~10 years and the paint has taken some damage. Going to paint it again at some point.

20.jpg

Made a 2.5" end pipe for the exhaust. Now it looks decent.

19.jpg

Removed rusty trailer hitch, "useless" interior parts, central locking parts and some wiring. It's getting lighter little by little and more is to come. Dash will remain for now as well as front door cards. I will buy a better set of front seats later, Sparco Sprint for the driver is barely adequate and co-driver has stock one :lol: Rear lifted so much that I had to cut the springs again.

21.jpg

Dug up "B6284T"'s old Griffin. It's higher than stock so had to take a couple of rows out from the bottom to make it fit without body mods. Got the tanks welded and installed it.

Yesterday morning swapped Polaris with semislicks and took it to a VRCF trackday. Ahvenisto again and it seems to be a fitting track for this. Just needs more power, better suspension, locker, etc. ;-) But it was good fun without problems. There is oil consumption because of the worn cylinders but less than expected. Brakes, tires and cooling worked great.

Some incar laps: https://youtu.be/EB2It5ZRJug

32.jpg

33.jpg

Clutch pedal went to the floor just after leaving the track. Felt like slave cylinder pushed the piston too much out and it did. Jacked the left side up on the side of the road, managed to fiddle a tire iron so that i could push the clutch fork back enough to set the piston seal back to its place with other hand. Added some brake fluid and drove home just fine, just had to pump the pedal because of the air. I was thinking of installing a stopper under the pedal because now it moves much more than with floor mats but didn't have the time.

940/960 fan FTW :) I've used those in everything I have been able to fit one.

That picture is from when "B6284T" had a stock radiator. I had to change the fan after installing Griffin rad because it would have been a tight fit. Griffin is thicker than stock and that engine has a front mounted trigger wheel. Now it's also faster to adjust cams while dynoing. Some BMW fan was just the right size to install in front of the intercooler.

-92 doesn't have/need a fan yet. I don't have to sit in traffic for a long time and a stock radiator would be just fine even on track.

On Tuesday I changed rear gear oil(might've still been factory fresh :lol:) and on Wednesday I made upper and lower braces. Wish i would have had time to make them before going to the track. Didn't even remember how big difference they make even with an old stock suspension. It's getting better to drive little by little.

And here is a pic of a slightly updated engine bay:
23.jpg

Should really repair the firewall before going to the track next time.

Great work. Inspiring and taking notes...
Thanks.

ATecu V3, a simple MS2 variant sold and designed by a local Megasquirt/Maxxecu retailer. Has built-in fuel pump relay etc.

ATecu V3, a simple MS2 variant sold and designed by a local Megasquirt/Maxxecu retailer. Has built-in fuel pump relay etc.

My understanding is MS2 cannot do sequential fuel. We are talking about a whiteblock vehicle, yes?

Well only -92 in this topic is the one in previous pictures ;-)

MS2 can't do sequential fuel and there is no need for that or sequential spark with a basic setup like mine. ATecu board supports only 4-cyl sequential in any case. All other engines have to use batch fuel/fire and it's fine. "B6284T" has MS3X V3 and I haven't updated that to sequential because of lazyness. I have to do it with bigger injectors but it's not in the near future, 1200cc is enough for ~800hp with E85.

Made an exhaust manifold for the -92.

6-2-1 with 1.75" primaries and 2" secondaries. Not nice but might be better than stock? Exhaust noise is smoother and more quiet, which is nice because new cams will make more noise in near future. Can't really say how much there was improvement otherwise, it's been a while since I drove it harder. But feels better.

Merge collector is a generic piece and it might not be as good as a proper one but let's see. Also hooks for the springs for secondaries are still missing.

26.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Swapped another brake booster in to the "B6284T". Old one was leaking and barely held vacuum. Took one from a friends parts car and painted it epoxy black just like the old one. Otherwise car has been just sitting and collecting dust because of the booster and I have been lazy. Gave it a wash and started driving around again.

Back