• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Swapped out my motor mounts in the summer and now they're bad again.

howlett10

Any idea why this happened? Took my 240 to a shop the other day for some fixes and the guy showed me a few other things wrong with my car, both of my brand new motor mounts have caved in, I just put those ones in during the summer, I'm not sure why they would already be bad, maybe just a bad batch?

They easily could be a defective part. I've seen aftermarket strut mounts that lasted less than 2 years and 5,000 miles. The rubber delaminated on those.

The stock mounts normally have some sag due to the angle they are mounted at. That said, fully collapsing prematurely is kind of common with new rubber stuff. They don't use the formula that the old days had for the rubber. You could try 240 diesel mounts if you want something stiffer that directly bolts on.

Autozone cheapie mounts are the only ones that I've found to work long term other than OE. About $15/set.

I use the cheapo 10 dollar 760 turbodiesel mounts from ebay the straight through ones with the bolt holes and take off the drivers side 240 motor mount brackets and drill out the center hole bigger so you can ditch that stock 240 drivers side off set mount. Those are crap anyway you wanna ditch that crap.. They are a tiny bit thicker but fan ain't rubbing on nuttin and throttle spool ain't hitting upper strut brace...

Price:
US $6.26
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MOTOR-...506199&hash=item3f205ac74f:g:WAAAAOxy7odR0yrG

On my 88 240 slicktop granny's old race wagon factory m47 car I've done so many clutch drop burnouts rev out bouncing off the limiter had to replace rear trailing arms where done. Just had to fix alternator tensioner bracket bolt broke off in block, drilled it and re tapped and replaced alternator bracket rubber mounts with poly. Yadda yadda yadda, motor mounts still not broke yet... Broke everything else, trying not to but dam times like these hard not to just burn out then fade away...

Or these tranny mounts are not as thick. And they don't have that alignment nub you have to grind off..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lower-Tran...:Volvo&hash=item4845a7baab:g:4cYAAOSwxOJezMrM

Last edited:
Back