• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pig: '79 242 16vT

Had a laundry list of things to do last night. Ball joint just arrived, so I'm throwing that on in 30 minutes, then alignment at 2 PM.

So far, last night's laundry list...all items done as of 5 AM today:

1. Change oil - DONE
2. Wheel bearing - DONE
3. sort out driveshaft carrier (it's sitting all cocked up and weird) - DONE
4. rivnut cross member and install skid plate - DONE
5. center tailshaft (it's 1/2" too far to the pass side) - DONE
6. fix iphone screen - DONE
7. fix ball joint
8. alignment

This ****ing list keeps on growing. I should probably grab a set of spare spark plugs, rotor, and cap just in case.

So tired. So so so tired...

Ball joint replaced, also replaced the outer tie rod. Needed to press them out, they were so badly corroded in place. Hit the mounting areas with deoxit and then some copper grease to make my life easier down the line, hopefully.

Oh yeah, adjusted the exhaust so it would no longer leak.

At the alignment shop now. I think it's done and ready for the road trip, unless the rear GAZes show up before Thursday.

Last edited:
Ball joint replaced, also replaced the outer tie rod. Needed to press them out, they were so badly corroded in place. Hit the mounting areas with deoxit and then some copper grease to make my life easier down the line, hopefully.

Oh yeah, adjusted the exhaust so it would no longer leak.

At the alignment shop now. I think it's done and ready for the road trip, unless the rear GAZes shoe up before Thursday.

Did you order them from Classic Swede?

I installed my front Gaz's over the weekend Its a night and day from the Billy HD's. Cant wait to get the rears in this week for some Texas Hill Country driving next weekend

Night and day is right. Worth installing them when I don't want to.

Get some rest my friend. It's a long drive.

I feel a sinus infection coming. Gonna work from home tomorrow as much as possible.

Night and day is right. Worth installing them when I don't want to.

I feel a sinus infection coming. Gonna work from home tomorrow as much as possible.

Im still on a rather soft setting its great. I look forward to moving it to a harder setting. Yippy

Welp, drove it do Davis, drove it back. Averaged 24-28 MPG on the highway. Can't be too sure.

summary of issues:

1. fuel pump fuse popped (may have been an 8-amp fuse in there, idk. New one does not seem to be melting...)
2. shift lever got loose. Fixed that
3. a horn wire shorted somewhere. Fixed that also

Found a replacement compressor wheel for the GTX. 57 trim turbo is real smoky.

That's it.

:e-shrug: It looked a little cruddy when I installed it. Could have been corroding for all I know. It was a Bussmann glass fuse. Went back to a ceramic one and all is fine again.

Welp, drove it do Davis, drove it back. Averaged 24-28 MPG on the highway. Can't be too sure.

summary of issues:

1. fuel pump fuse popped (may have been an 8-amp fuse in there, idk. New one does not seem to be melting...)
2. shift lever got loose. Fixed that
3. a horn wire shorted somewhere. Fixed that also

Found a replacement compressor wheel for the GTX. 57 trim turbo is real smoky.

That's it.

Good deal man. I think my car got around 24mpg on the trip as well, but I can't be too sure either, because my odometer is still broken. That was estimated using google maps and fuel receipts.

Good to meet you and check out the car at Davis; good luck with the Faux-GTX compressor wheel. Remember that the trim will be larger on your replacement wheel so you'll need to do something about the housing (either open up the inducer & shroud contour, or replace it with a standard GTX2860R housing). Alternatively you could have a machine shop turn down the new wheel to fit the old housing, using dimensions from your damaged part.

Thanks Chris! I ended up buying a GTX2860R housing. Figured that going with off-the-shelf parts would be the way to go. Meanwhile I'll be saving for a GTX3071 Gen II as I have realized a couple things:

1. 16 valves are in the future for this car
2. I like spinning this stupid engine to 7000 RPM, but not even the big crappy turbo seems to keep up there. Probably more a function of head flow than anything else but...
3. I'm not keeping my hopes up in terms of longevity or performance with the knockoff compressor wheel, so if I'm going to have to invest in a larger turbo, may as well go as big as I'll ever want it

Back