• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Texas240 was 16v but now LM7 5.3L

A few good arrived in the mail today.. Just need to get specs from the bores and crank journals so I can order rings, bearings, and pistons.

5886ed44.jpg

Picasso inspecting the packages.
619926b9.jpg

d5898726.jpg

180be679.jpg

RSI 152MM Rods

Give RSI a call, that new blue slickem might have a different torque than the older white bottled stuff. My head studs do.

Are you doing pistons, or just rods?

Goodluck with the innovate.....I just ripped mine out!

Give RSI a call, that new blue slickem might have a different torque than the older white bottled stuff. My head studs do.

Are you doing pistons, or just rods?

Goodluck with the innovate.....I just ripped mine out!

I don't have a clue, I wasn't expecting it to come with arp bolts. I will be doing new pistons but just new stock ones

THIS IS PICTURE HEAVY!!!!

Work hours have been dropped from around 65 to 40 hours a week so my time is quite free now. Did some heavy work on the head today. All I need to do is order new valve guides since 2 are cracked and I thought I'll just do all of them since im not sure when the last time this head was serviced. Get it checked for trueness and then skimmed to clean it up, stick in the parts washer and put it back together.

Found out that there are 5 exhaust valves that are severely burnt and one intake that looks completely different on the face of the valve such as 7 of them are smooth and the other one has a texture like an orange.

Now for some pictures.

9fc4ea5e.jpg

eb14e249.jpg

6e481a18.jpg

a337f511.jpg

Valve being put into chemi dip
e1506060.jpg

this is after cleaning the **** out of the face of the head
4fc5cfbf.jpg

Cam holders were in fantastic shape so no need to dingle berry these
75238011.jpg

7efae5f0.jpg

Cracked Valve guides
5ae81772.jpg

2f746ef2.jpg

You can see the differences in the valves and Im sure there is story behind it
1462aa88.jpg

f67de859.jpg

3eede58f.jpg

burnt valves
df536d3a.jpg

ff8a28a5.jpg

5 are like this and im just going to replace them
330479f2.jpg

Main body of the head was in very good condition and didnt need a whole lot of hand contact, just some engine degreaser and a garden hose
c6d82e18.jpg

Cam carrier was nasty but got it pretty clean and ill throw this in the parts cleaner next week.

Oof, looks like someone tried to seal the lower and upper head together with silicone sealer last time? Hopefully didn't seal the oil passages too!

Kenny found a bunch of cracked valve guides on my new head too. I figured it broke a timing belt and hammered some valves, and someone just did a half assed repair on it by tossing new valves in.

Oof, looks like someone tried to seal the lower and upper head together with silicone sealer last time? Hopefully didn't seal the oil passages too!

Kenny found a bunch of cracked valve guides on my new head too. I figured it broke a timing belt and hammered some valves, and someone just did a half assed repair on it by tossing new valves in.

I hope thats not the case on mine, but It wouldnt surprise me that one of the reasons the car was junked was partially to the burnt valves.

Where does one find the volvo pink sealer between the bottom and middle section of the head?

Ohhh, youre funny :oogle:

Got all the good measurements from the block:

Bores:

Im not really sure what to do at the moment for pistons? Bore out that one small one or some how find stock volvo pistons that fit the bores like Volvo did at the factory??

Mains:
2.4803 ( stock specs {2.4798-2.4803} ) So those are within tolerance

Connecting Rod Journals:
1.929 ( Stock Specs {1.9285-1.9293} ) All good there.

Still stuck on pistons, so any buddy with some real knowledge... Cameron, Nathan, John Mc.. Hmm Hmmm would be sweet:roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh, youre funny :oogle:

Got all the good measurements from the block:

Bores:

Im not really sure what to do at the moment for pistons? Bore out that one small one or some how find stock volvo pistons that fit the bores like Volvo did at the factory??

Mains:
2.4803 ( stock specs {2.4798-2.4803} ) So those are within tolerance

Connecting Rod Journals:
1.929 ( Stock Specs {1.9285-1.9293} ) All good there.

Still stuck on pistons, so any buddy with some real knowledge... Cameron, Nathan, John Mc.. Hmm Hmmm would be sweet:roll:

hows the crosshatching look? and i hope you checked the bore measurement at the bottom, then at the top. if the bore measurement at the top is bigger than the one at the bottom you'll be in some trouble (tapered cylinders). My b230 block had 115k on it. It had no lip at top, and had plenty of crosshatching. I just honed it, threw in some turbo pistons, and new rings and voila.

Last edited by a moderator:
hows the crosshatching look? and i hope you checked the bore measurement at the bottom, then at the top. if the bore measurement at the top is bigger than the one at the bottom you'll be in some trouble (tapered cylinders). My b230 block had 115k on it. It had no lip at top, and had plenty of crosshatching. I just honed it, threw in some turbo pistons, and new rings and voila.

No lip what so ever and bore 4 looked great with good amount of crosshatching. What about the difference in the piston measurement and finding the right piston letters?

Looks like somebody who thought they knew what they were doin was the last one to work on that head........get it cleaned up, put some new shiny parts in, and boost it.

Dont worry about a tight squish on a 16v, theres not much there to worry about like on an 8v.

Now wait, you went forged rods, and are not going to go forged pistons? Whats your plan for this motor? EMS? power levels and turbo type? Dont kid yourself, I have made like 4 jumps forward since I started.

Back