• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b230ft+Microsquirt+CAS DSM= NOT IDLING...?

sideways242

Whats up Brickers,

Ive spent the last couple months putting together a b230ft with a microsquirt, LS coils, and CAS DSM with yoshifab adapter. Ive tested all ouputs and everything is good so far, spark, fuel, crank signal etc... Ive followed the write up on installing and wiring in the CAS (hence the crank signal) but unfortunately im getting mad starter kickback and intermittent starting with it immediately dying out. I am a 100% noob when it comes to tunerstudio so any ideas would truly help! I'll add a picture of the CAS clocked when at TDC below.
Cheers!

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/jbI7Lde" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/jbI7Lde">CAS DSM</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There's a separate cranking spark angle setting, that might be your issue with the kickback.

And maybe try ye olde fashioned timing light to see what is actually coming out at the spark plug after MS and DSM and etc have had their way with your signals.

I used to remember this stuff, but it's been a few years now... It may be in this thread: The official DSM CAS information and install guide or in a different DSM CAS thread. Try a google search for "dsm cas edge yoshifab site:turbobricks.com" since the search function here doesn't take 3-letter words.

The cam/crank signal edges used by MS2 / MS3 / MicroSquirt vary some. I forget which uses which edge. Try flipping the CAM edge (Second Trigger Active On) between rising/falling and see if that helps. If it does, you might need to flip the crank edge (Ignition Input Capture) too. You can also do some searching and find a Composite Logger view of the DSM crank/cam signals, to make sure you don't have the wiring swapped.

There's a separate cranking spark angle setting, that might be your issue with the kickback.

And maybe try ye olde fashioned timing light to see what is actually coming out at the spark plug after MS and DSM and etc have had their way with your signals.

Ill try a timing light now and see what I find! thanks

I used to remember this stuff, but it's been a few years now... It may be in this thread: The official DSM CAS information and install guide or in a different DSM CAS thread. Try a google search for "dsm cas edge yoshifab site:turbobricks.com" since the search function here doesn't take 3-letter words.

The cam/crank signal edges used by MS2 / MS3 / MicroSquirt vary some. I forget which uses which edge. Try flipping the CAM edge (Second Trigger Active On) between rising/falling and see if that helps. If it does, you might need to flip the crank edge (Ignition Input Capture) too. You can also do some searching and find a Composite Logger view of the DSM crank/cam signals, to make sure you don't have the wiring swapped.

Thanks bobxyz, Ive followed the Gross Polluters post to a T, incredibly helpful thread! I was just turning the car over and im seeing that the microsquirt is varying between "cranking" and "not cranking" in its reading the entire time im turning the car over. I can also hear a relay from my board clicking while cranking. I originally thought this to be the fuel pump relay cycling its, but now I fear that my main relay is receiving intermittent power while cranking.

My main relay is not the issue, its the fuel pump ground turning on and off, which doesn't explain the intermittent crank reading issue...hmmmmm

Changing the cam input to rising edge did the trick. It starts every time and idles smooth for about 7 seconds before dying out!

Maybe your warm up settings are incorrect? Post a log! Even just a screen grab if its only 7 seconds.

I just dealt with a dumb issue on my similar setup. Turned out crank signal noise was dropping a tooth here and there. Hard to even spot on tooth logs. Turned out my non-resistor spark plugs were the culprit. Switched plugs and it cleaned right up.

Issue: NGK BP7ES
Solution: NGK BPR7ES

Back