• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 cluster issues

iHateVolvoPeople

1990 744 NA with the Yazaki cluster.

The problems I'm having are that the temp gauge and fuel gauge both like to stick empty or cold, until I give the dashboard a nice tap with my palm. After that they work fine. Am I dealing with a capacitor issue or cracked solder joints?

Also, the odomter does not work. Or if it does, it is reading at like 1/100thwhat it is supposed to. I've seen it function normally about 1 time. I'm thinking it's a bad gear but I haven't dove into it yet as I'm having trouble finding a good writeup for the Yazaki.

If it's the Yazaki, it's apparently very unlikely to be the gear. I had very similar issues and it apparently took replacing some modules to get it functioning correctly. I had Auslander Volvo (well, their partner in parts sales) rebuild it. I didn't have the problem with the fuel gauge until after I got it back, but I could live with that minor inconvenience compared to the ODO not functioning at all before.

I'd try reflowing the PCB first. Maybe take the speedo out and check for burnt parts or similar too. Inconsistent issues sounds like bad joints to me.

Sounds like what was going on with my 740 dash, it was bad caps. I replaced a few myself but that didn't work of course. I sent it to DNA speedometers and they fixed it, worked perfectly when I got it back. The gear was fine

For the Yazaki

speedo7_1034.jpg

http://cleanflametrap.com/speedo7.html

Is this anything like the one in your '90?

Sounds like what was going on with my 740 dash, it was bad caps. I replaced a few myself but that didn't work of course. I sent it to DNA speedometers and they fixed it, worked perfectly when I got it back. The gear was fine
Would you mind disclosing the cost of a repair like this? I usually repair my own clusters on 240s and stuff but I really don’t want to risk damaging the one from this 740.
speedo7_1034.jpg

http://cleanflametrap.com/speedo7.html

Is this anything like the one in your '90?

I read through your write up last night actually! That being said, I could not for the life of me locate that green PCB with the same components. I should’ve taken pictures, mine was different. I also didn’t notice any black portions indicating overheating.

I read through your write up last night actually! That being said, I could not for the life of me locate that green PCB with the same components. I should?ve taken pictures, mine was different. I also didn?t notice any black portions indicating overheating.

Sorry. Just a wild stab. Must be a reason I refer to the two I worked on as "91-92" and "93-94" that prevents helping you with the 90. Haven't any 7/9 cars in the family nor know anyone nearby who flies them.

Sorry. Just a wild stab. Must be a reason I refer to the two I worked on as "91-92" and "93-94" that prevents helping you with the 90. Haven't any 7/9 cars in the family nor know anyone nearby who flies them.

No worries. Another reason I?d rather pay someone to do this is because I?ve found minimal information on this specific cluster.

I have a 1990 760 cluster that I wouldn't mind getting rid of. It's the later trapezoidal shape, not the blocky 740 shape but maybe the speedos will interchange? This one has a 120 mph speedo, not 140 like in my 940.

Want us to send you a couple 1990 clusters so you can get familiar (and rebuild them)?

Have to smack the dash to get the needles to unstick? Especially after sitting some time? Maybe worse when cold? Could it be the gummy/dried up lube on the gauge needle posts syndrome?

Maybe a gauge or two, but not the whole cluster.

At the moment, I just need to get figured out why I have to tap the cluster next to the gas gauge to get it to come back to life occasionally at startup.

Edit: To clarify to tintintin's question. Mine is literally just a light tap at the bottom of the cluster just in front of the gauge. Temperature does not seem to be related.

Back