• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear suspension rebuild

BeaverMeat

Welp... down the rabbit hole I go.

Swapping the rear axle on the Volstang is starting look like a ?while I?m there? type of job and the list of parts is starting to pile-up.

Going with the IPD treatment... would really like to go with Kaplhenke or Yoshifab parts but, I had to convince myself many times ?I?m not racing it?

So... IPD panhard and torque rods. That?s pretty much cut and dry. I?m also boxing the trailing arms.

A few questions to that regard.

Haven?t decided if I?m going to refurbish a set of used trailing arms or just buy some new cheap Dormans. Would like to just buy the Yohifab plates unfortunately that?s going to cost me extra cash to ship them to the north yonder. Is there a set of instructions on fabricating plates and boxing the trailing arms? Something I can give to the fabrication shop.

Bushings! What?s the best way to go with the trailing arm bushings? OE rubber or polyurethane or is there something else?

If it were me and I weren't going to pony up for a nice set of torque rods... I would just save the $$$ and replace the bushings in the stock arms.

STAY AWAY FROM POLY ON THE TRAILING ARMS.

If it were me and I weren't going to pony up for a nice set of torque rods... I would just save the $$$ and replace the bushings in the stock arms.

STAY AWAY FROM POLY ON THE TRAILING ARMS.

I wasn?t going to get them initially and I probably don?t ?need? them. I want them to fine tune drive shaft alignment. It?s vibraty back there with all that V8 torque... most likely a combination of things like my suspicion of having busted diff cross shafts. Nothing wrong with extra adjustments to get this beast smooth down the road.

I wasn?t going to get them initially and I probably don?t ?need? them. I want them to fine tune drive shaft alignment. It?s vibraty back there with all that V8 torque... most likely a combination of things like my suspicion of having busted diff cross shafts. Nothing wrong with extra adjustments to get this beast smooth down the road.

The poly in the IPD torque rods has been known to cause vibrations and create a harsh ride.

I sell plenty of parts to people who are upgrading from the IPD stuff.

If you want a smooth driving experience... I don't think you are going the right direction.

The poly in the IPD torque rods has been known to cause vibrations and create a harsh ride.

I sell plenty of parts to people who are upgrading from the IPD stuff.

If you want a smooth driving experience... I don't think you are going the right direction.

Nothing ordered yet.

That’s good to know. Still on the fence about the spherical bushings on the trailing arms. I want to go that way... then I enter the realm of going “all the way” with a helm joint torque rod and panhard... Unless I cheap out on the panhard.

Unless your telling my the spherical bushings work well with the OE rubber torque rod bushings?

It’s the freight that is killer for me...

Last edited:
Nothing ordered yet.

That?s good to know. Still on the fence about the spherical bushings on the trailing arms. I want to go that way... then I enter the realm of going ?all the way? with a helm joint torque rod and panhard... Unless I cheap out on the panhard.

Unless your telling my the spherical bushings work well with the OE rubber torque rod bushings?

It?s the freight that is killer for me...

Yes, spherical axle bearings work nicely with OE rubber Torque Rods, if that is the question?

The old IPD torque rods had a habit of coming loose. Did they ever fix that issue? Probably not. I'd skip their torque rods.

Jordan

You can make your own for slightly more than the IPD ones. They're a nice compromise between poly and sphericals.
Just add a ~12" long connector section (might need an 11", I can't remember)

Note: you'll need the right and left threaded ones.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/roc-rk02801l

https://www.summitracing.com/search...By=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&ibanner=SREPD4

That’s what I’m thinking about doing for both the torque and panhard rods. Similar to the Classic-Swede design with the rubber bushing on the car end and a helm joint on the axle end.

Perhaps modifying the OE set if possible.

Back