• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

redblock distributor to coil on plug conversion

You don't need anything more than a 60-2 flywheel, no clipping or other distributor needed.

to run sequential you do. Or some cycle marker at cam speed. 60-2 or 36-1 works just fine for wasted COP, or wasted spark.

I'm running wasted COP off a 36-1, I used the resistor method, four coil drivers, and using the software to fire them in pairs for the time being. Once I get my cam sensor bracket worked out, I'll change to standard COP, and full sequential injection.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EMKpdXkhZu8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In that video, my dwell hadn't been adjusted, and seems like the better/more consistent spark energy did better with less fuel. I played around with it for 5 minutes yesterday, and its idling much smoother, and seems happiest at 14.5 afr's instead of the 13.8 afr's when on a single coil.

Last edited:
Do go on please.

I was mildly surprised at this thread as I didn't think you could do COP with a hall sensor.

there was absolutely nothing of value in my post.

the short of it is, if you understand what the ecu is looking for signal-wise, you can run pretty much whatever, on whatever.

All of these solutions seem alot more difficult and time wasting then just buying a damn cas and adapter

Could be that simple, but there is one issue with that. Options to buy bolt-on kits are almost nonexistant.

This thread could be gold.if the OP just commits a little harder.

Since i have no ability to work on my volvo currently due to health issues, and it's cold as **** outside i have plenty of time to commit to research and design (a.k.a googling more than )

What gains do you expect by moving to a standalone?

All this nonsense started, when going to an lpg shop, the people there commented, that single point injection systems are more difficult to set up for proper injector signal for the lpg system. That somehow sparked the idea to put in a standalone with sequential injection and ignition. After initial research, I realized that this not such a common idea to implement in volvos (or just i didn't manage to find sufficient info about it).
But since I always love to overthink such ideas, somehow the process persisted.
Now the motivation shifted from lpg, to overall better operation of the engine, and easy implementation of mods like a turbo further on. Also I love an engineering challenge.

Options to adapt CAS from other cars are plenty, there are even full kits to bolt on, for cars like miatas. For volvos, the main question is how to fit to the engine. Placing something in place of a head distributor, seems as the best place for my implementation, plus some parts of the distributor can be reused. Right now not sure whether to use a 36-1 or a 60-2 trigger wheel. Also does anybody know which cas sensor would give a higher resolution? More interested in Euro or Japanese options (I'm from Europe, so US cars are unpopular and their parts hard to find).

I realize that the simplest way, would be to tap a screw in a cam gear, and insert a sensor in the plastic cover and call it a day, but that first of all would look hideous and I don't think would provide a stable signal, plastic isn't the most rigid material to mount something in. Also kind of defeats the purpose of overthinking this whole idea

I have a straight question that I was hoping this thread would answer, but instead it's rambling and full of smart arse comments. Oh well. I'll ask here half way down page 2 and we'll see what happens:

Which COP units fit the 16v head and valve cover neatly?

I poked a Toyota Yaris one into mine tonight and it fits OK with three caveats:

1) Seal is no where close to sealing
2) Connector is very close to lip of valve cover, in yank, maybe a sixteenth in there?
3) Nothing to bolt the mounting tab to

Clearly these are all fixable, but perhaps there's a better unit out there? Anyone?

The coil I tried is number 4 in the image on this page: http://www.sq-engineering.com/tech-articles/coilpack-info-guide

I have a lot of them and will probably end up using them unless there's a clearly better option.

My B234F distributor went on the shelf when it failed to clear the 240 engine bay the other evening. Plus, distributors are horrible indirections at the best of times. I'll be running mine hot at double duty pseudo wasted style.

No, VB?s answer addressed why the reluctor type won?t support a certain operating strategy. It was pointed out to you that the type of sensor used has no bearing on that. But go ahead and keep deflecting, everyone will still continue to point out that you have no idea what you?re talking about.

I'll be the first to say that I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to running MS. My motion towards MS has been at a snails pace. As a result, so has my learning.

That said, no deflection. Just pointing out that your answer wasn't helpful.

Think what you want.

I have a straight question that I was hoping this thread would answer, but instead it's rambling and full of smart arse comments. Oh well. I'll ask here half way down page 2 and we'll see what happens:

Which COP units fit the 16v head and valve cover neatly?

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=298498

Check this thread out, several options are given as alternatives.

Bolting up will be an issue to any coil, since there very few bolt holes to begin with.

I'll be the first to say that I have no idea what I'm talking about

Glad you finally understand the point of my response. This saves a lot of people who might accidentally follow your advice from failing miserably for no other reason than some knucklehead on the internet responded to a subject in which tbey have zero knowselge of.

This saves a lot of people who might accidentally follow your advice from failing miserably for no other reason than some knucklehead on the internet responded to a subject in which tbey have zero knowselge of.

1) I'm pretty sure I attempted to go give no advice in this thread. As a matter of fact, my first response was merely a rewording/confirmation of what someone else said and the second was clearly asking for detail. Those aren't the types of responses that should ever have led you to believe someone was giving advice.

2) My initial response was based on the color of your attitude in yours. The above quoted text pretty much proves I was correct.

Pretty sure that after explaining it all many times, when the knowledge is completely published and free to access can drive anyone into colorful responses.

Better quality of questions and the results are different. Like “where should I look to find what sensor/trigger arrangement is needed?”

my first response was merely a rewording/confirmation of what someone else said

Your first response assessed that something can't be done because of the type of sensor used. I corrected you by saying the type of sensor doesn't matter. You said that was a useless answer, refusing to understand that it directly addressed your comment with matter of fact. You went on to deflect your incorrect statement by using someone else's response that had no direct relationship to what you said in an attempt to further validate your claim. I pointed out that you don't understand the difference between a sensor and a reluctor. Anything else beyond that is just you taking things personally and refusing to understand how things work.

Read more, post less. Then maybe, just maybe you'll understand a thing or two.

I'm surprised Nick is stooping like this. He's generally a good character. This thread is not a highlight of his posting career, however it is consistent with his "They seem me trollin'" tagline. :p

In contrast, something useful to add:

DXBsenGVoAA6DJm.jpg

DXBsi-sXUAACB6E.jpg

Not a terrible fit, but not great either.

rokaskey, cheers for the link, however the people in there didn't put part numbers, years of vehicles, engine types, or photos, so "corolla coils" is as good as useless to me.

I welded tabs onto my valve cover to mount the gm coils I run (on another, I made a bracket to bolt them to that bolts to the VC studs)

Back