• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Uncleknucklez 242 road ripper

Your car will look sweet no matter which grille & light setup it has, but there is something to be said for keeping the original late single round setup. It's much better integrated into the design of the car than the early singe round design. Plus it's cool that they only offered this combination of front & rear designs for 2 years (1979 and 80) if I'm not mistaken, with the smoother single round setup and the nice redesigned tail with the flat trunk and 5-panels. It's the "most pure" version of the 242 IMO.

so, in other words, a 1979 242dl is the perfect Volvo? I would tend to agree :-D

Ugh...I have a flathood acquired for my '83 and I've already converted to single-rounds, but these pics are making me second-guess that decision...

Best part is it took me like 15 mins to change! Quick and easy face changes ftw!

Your car will look sweet no matter which grille & light setup it has, but there is something to be said for keeping the original late single round setup. It's much better integrated into the design of the car than the early singe round design. Plus it's cool that they only offered this combination of front & rear designs for 2 years (1979 and 80) if I'm not mistaken, with the smoother single round setup and the nice redesigned tail with the flat trunk and 5-panels. It's the "most pure" version of the 242 IMO.

I do very much appreciate this car's aesthetics, the stainless trim and commandos is what really make the look to me. I do think the quads look nice with all of the chrome trim. I need to source a flathood grill to finish this look off.

so, in other words, a 1979 242dl is the perfect Volvo? I would tend to agree :-D

Hey now, 1980 is a good vintage as well. I love seeing the progression on these cars, and having almost 20 years of 240 meant a lot of different options scattered throughout. Adding the "updates" to my car has been a driving force for the build. The car is built how I think Volvo would have made it if they knew what we know ;-)

From a design perspective yeah; mine is an '81 but I took what I could get at the time. I do think looking at the whole car overall the '83 242DL is the sweet spot, and I had one of those but sold it!

Best part is it took me like 15 mins to change! Quick and easy face changes ftw!

I do very much appreciate this car's aesthetics, the stainless trim and commandos is what really make the look to me. I do think the quads look nice with all of the chrome trim. I need to source a flathood grill to finish this look off.

Hey now, 1980 is a good vintage as well. I love seeing the progression on these cars, and having almost 20 years of 240 meant a lot of different options scattered throughout. Adding the "updates" to my car has been a driving force for the build. The car is built how I think Volvo would have made it if they knew what we know ;-)

Yeah it's cool that we have the freedom with these cars to change up the look quickly and easily.

I have a flathood Turbo grille from an '83 homologation special car, and I'm not using it. I could be talked into parting with it. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Suddenly feeling like such an outsider with my 84. Figured if I changed the headlights maybe I could follow you guys around.

Suddenly feeling like such an outsider with my 84. Figured if I changed the headlights maybe I could follow you guys around.

Ha! Imagine DB feeling like an outsider :lol:

This weekend I washed and vaccuumed the car for EuroSunday meet, No real pics of that, but I do have pics of the car as it sits this morning.

I put the single rounds back on while I locate a GTX style grill, but I did repaint my single round and install a fresh badge.

8Lzt7chl.jpg

oiai10Ll.jpg

57LMEsTl.jpg

OYtl833l.jpg

I also finished off my fabricated door cards, and added a JBL component system with crossover to compliment the 6x9 in the package shelf.

BICbmcfl.jpg

FhNSi3el.jpg

Ha! Imagine DB feeling like an outsider :lol:

I also finished off my fabricated door cards, and added a JBL component system with crossover to compliment the 6x9 in the package shelf.

BICbmcfl.jpg

It's hard to see what's going on with the door panel. Could you take a higher res shot? I'm considering making a set of my own and I'm interested in what other people are doing.

It's hard to see what's going on with the door panel. Could you take a higher res shot? I'm considering making a set of my own and I'm interested in what other people are doing.

I'll grab some when it gets brighter this morning

Can we all chat about the speedo a bit?

If you ran two wires from the pickup to the "L" plug on the back of the speedo, and did not break out the black wire to ground, the thing wouldn't work right? Basically is the speedo grounded through the cluster or does it need a separate ground?

I've tried so many combinations of parts trying to get this stupid speedo to work. I have verified the gauge works outside of the cluster, but I was unable to get it to function with my test rig after it is in the cluster. Based on the drawing below (1987 240 Greenbook) there doesn't appear to be a ground on the wires from the sensor to the gauge.
fAhnm6G.jpg

Can we all chat about the speedo a bit?

If you ran two wires from the pickup to the "L" plug on the back of the speedo, and did not break out the black wire to ground, the thing wouldn't work right? Basically is the speedo grounded through the cluster or does it need a separate ground?

I ran into a similar issue when I swapped to LH2.4.

I had to run a dedicated ground, and I had to change up the pinout on the "L" connector. There are two different pinouts (iirc), but I'm not sure when/why they switched. Maybe ABS vs non-ABS?
I'll look around and see what I come up with.

I ran into a similar issue when I swapped to LH2.4.

I had to run a dedicated ground, and I had to change up the pinout on the "L" connector. There are two different pinouts (iirc), but I'm not sure when/why they switched. Maybe ABS vs non-ABS?
I'll look around and see what I come up with.

Interesting, I pulled all new shielded wire from the diff to the dash this morning to eliminate a potential issue with the splices in the old wiring or anything like that. I will have to see if the cluster works now, but my gut says the wiring was not suspect, but the cluster circuit board may be the issue.

I will double check the L connector pinout to verify it is wired correctly, that is a good piece of advice!

Post #31 summarizes what I went through, and what I found about the wiring: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=230687&page=2

Has a link to cleanflametrap.com that also has the wiring change noted.

I have been subscribed to that thread for reference, but never went back, another good resource.

So, what could cause the speedo to operate on the bench, and then stop functioning as soon as it is installed in the cluster? I checked over the board, and reflowed some joints, but nothing is glaring. The cluster would be non op if there was an issue with the little fuse wire correct?

For the record the rest of the cluster functions perfectly, just speedo inop, like I said, it works on the bench with a 12V DC power supply, and a 5v AC wall wort creating the signal, but after that nothing.

So last night I decided to swap in a spare cluster to see if I could get the speedo to work, it did not, I did however find that somewhere along the line this second cluster had been modded with an interesting version of the temp faker board bypass. I have not seen a board like this.

rXImWFkl.jpg

PJeMv39l.jpg

An interesting and more permanent solution to bypassing the board.

Anyways, I am still working on the speedo, I'm hoping a pal can swing by today and drop off a known working cluster for me to try some stuff with.

Speedo still doesn't work, what else is new...

I changed the radiator in the car for a new Nissen unit, this one has more rows, but everything else is the same, came from evilBay for $85

The old one started leaking from the trans cooler fittings, which I hadn't seen before.

ZSwAlg0l.jpg

A peek at the NPR and all the other stuff crammed in the front of the bay

XX5HgkEl.jpg

Hit up a local Euro show with a Pal, It was entirely BMW, and when we showed up my 7 year old asked "why are there no hoods up??" I told him they have nothing to show :lol:

So we were the only ones with our hoods up

mfcrDMtl.jpg

DhqEK7Rl.jpg

Ahh, starting the kid off right. lol

Was that one of the Euro Sunday shows?

It was hilarious! Yeah, It's disorganized, and we got kicked out of the overpass parking after a while, but was chill and we had a decent time. Need more Volvos!

Hey that's Adam's old car.

BTW are you going to socaleuro?

I just started thinking Socaleuro this AM actually, would be cool. Do you have plans to go?

Also, the wagon is pretty nice, and the dude who owns it now is chill.

Yeah I have a flight booked for Thursday night. I think I'm crashing at Tony's place. Gonna be slummin' it with no hotel or car rental this time. We'll see how it works out ;-)

Big pic warning!

Been a minute, car has been griefing me with a weird ECT signal intermittent issue, I have narrowed it down to a harness problem, and seem to have FINALLY taken care of it.

I spent a day this past weekend with some buddies that wanted to shoot the car. The pics have turned out pretty good from what I have seen.

AC8qJCq.jpg

cs4kL2Q.jpg

That's pretty much it, The AC stopped working and it snapped a line, So that is on the list now. I need to look at some oil leaks that are starting to spring up, That's about it for now.

Back