• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1988 740 leaves in the ac

Myrsy

I bought a 1988 740 a couple of weeks ago and as i turned the ac on for the first time it started spewing leaves. I had not realized that the ac intake spot was full on leaves and some got in to the system.

How do I get the leaves out? Do i just put the ac on full blast and pray?(also the ac has never had a compressor if that is a factor)

Thanks in advance!

Newbie bonus question: what exact engine does the car have? The car is non-turbo, uses gasoline with injection system and the engine size is 2 liters.

Someone with a 700 series will come along and help but on a 240 the cowl vent needs to be cleaned both up top and on both sides below the doors. Remove the carpet and find an 1 1/2" plastic plug that can be removed and vacuumed. Once the trash gets behind the HVAC box blowing it out through the vents is about all you can do short of removing the box.

1. Remove windscreen wipers
2. Lift bonnet
3. Remove three 10mm bolts on the firewall that fix the cowl panel to the body
4. Remove cowl panel
5. Vacuum all leaves that are visible, including inside the heater fan
6. Check leaf guard under cowl panel, re-attach if adhesive has failed
7. Buy butyl tape from Volvo pn 1161782 and fix leaf guard to cowl panel
8. Lubricate windscreen wiper linkages
9. Enjoy no more leaves and a quiet heater fan

Thanks for the replies everyone, they are really helpful! I will get to work on the ac when I get back home.

Back