• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brand new '81 262C Bertone Coupe . . .

Except for the miles. I have flushed and backed flushed it without the thermostat installed. 'Bout as good as it can get.

I will check the radiator core temp with my IR digital sensor to check for blocked core rods.

Good idea on the IR -- this is an area where passage of time just sitting has the potential to hurt you as much as mileage. In fact, mileage with proper maintenance would concern me less.

When I had the tanks removed on the V8 radiator the right hand side was packed with debris half way up the tank. Unfortunately, it fell into the big green tank before I could get a picture.

Dancing around the fact that the engine no longer starts for some unknown reason I got the new AC compressor installed along with a couple AC hoses. I will get the remaining two hoses made Monday, or Tuesday if NAPA is taking the day off.

Note to the restoration manual: You have to mount the compressor to the bracket and then mount the assembly to the valve cover.

20150906_155600.jpg

Dancing around the fact that the engine no longer starts for some unknown reason I got the new AC compressor installed along with a couple AC hoses . . . .

Damn thing ran out of gas! Five gallons later it starts but is still not running correctly. Gotta be ignition timing.

I used a 16" x 23" universal condenser which fit without major modifications. http://www.ebay.com/itm/181701114693?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT Any larger will not. Your original 240 sheet metal mounting brackets are probably the same as my 260 version but I can measure if you like.

I had to cut a half inch off the left side condenser mounting bracket and make new holes for the screws. On the right side I forgot that the Volvo condenser 'in' from the compressor was pointing down. There is not room to solve that issue on the straight out the side fitting on the condenser with a 90* fitting. Since I had made the hose with a straight fitting I cut a 1 1/4" hole in the sheet metal bracket for access.

A 16" x 22" would avoid both of the above issues.

Better yet, I have a perfectly good original Volvo condenser that you are welcome to if you want. Strange how things go round in circles.

Pictures if you want.

At last . . . PAINT

Although it had quit starting out of total fustration I put it on a tow dolly and took it to the paint shop.

. . . drive in, drive out (er . . . tow in, tow out) . . . 26 hours.

Some pictures . . .

Prep bay

20150910_114718.jpg

Taped and ready to spray

20150910_184010.jpg

Sealer coat

20150911_104114.jpg

Color and clear coat

20150911_131528.jpg

20150911_133013.jpg

Beautiful job! Found 3 tiny specks that will go away in the cut-n-polish.

Asked how much for the first time and then the argument ensued. I provided the top of the line color paint and activator the shop provided reducer, clear coat material, taping supplies and probably 10 hours of labor. He wanted $250! I was insulted and told him that the work was worth far more than that. I would be embarrassed to tell my friends that I only spent $500 total on the paint job even if it was only half a car. Gave him his damn $250 and slipped the painter $50.

Ellijay is a wonderful place to live!

$250 is an insult. What was that , a buddy job? Boy did you win the paint lottery! Now the real fun , getting it started. Nice tow rope.

Like a horse - 'come along now boy'.....paint looks nice in the pics.

I selected a 22x15 (+/-) condenser with the kit I bought Tom. My original condenser brackets were on the condenser I gave you I think. But no matter as the new unit comes with brackets - and I'll fabricate whatever I need. Wouldn't want to re-use the original condenser in any event -- the newer designs reject a lot more heat for the same L x W.

Home again, home again, dancing a jig . . . Mother Goose . . .

Looks even better in my driveway. If only the engine ran . . . .

20150912_170712.jpg

Think the original brown/bronze will just have to do.

Last edited:
Working . . . working . . . working . . . .

Got the trunk put back together and the new under hood mat installed.

The trunk carpet cleaned right up with Clorox Clean Up. Discovered that trying to scrub it just raised the carpet nap into fuzz. Best to just wet it with the bleach, let it sit and then blow off the dampness with an air hose. Looked as new after that. The tire cover and tool bag are still damp. The Bertone tool bag is the first I have ever seen like that.

The under hood sound deadening came off a JY turbo car. My Diesel also has that pad. Looks a lot better than the messy 34 year old hood underside. It cleaned up nicely but I hit it lightly with some black trim paint just to even out the color.

20150915_181612.jpg

Working . . . working . . . working . . . .

Painting again and am not through yet.

First, I dug the exterior door window wipers out of the channel. They had hardened from the very pliable replacement rubber to hard plastic that could not be moved without breaking it into little pieces to extract. In fact, the parts down in the retaining channel could only be broken into 1" pieces and driven out one of the ends of the holder. Here is part of the pile of broken hard rubber/plastic after it was all over.

20150917_152741.jpg

Between the two doors there was about 5 hours of labor to get that all cleaned up but it had to be done.

Then the black trim around the doors needed painting very badly. The driver door had been attacked with a coat hanger sometime in its past to unlock the lock knob. Scratched up outside and inside. The rest was faded as all the other horizontal surfaces.

All taped up after about 2 hours per door and ready for SEM trim black at about $20 per spray can.

Sprayed:

20150917_155038.jpg

20150917_161526.jpg

All better . . .

20150917_191505.jpg

Last edited:
Making progress and looking good. I hope that trim piece above the 1/4 panel doesn't give you any grief.

No problem . . . .

I have a bag of lower trim plastic clips left over from the wagon. Already verified that they will work as suspected.

I'll send you the remaining.

More I look at it the more I want to talk Nanci into black trim around the door frame.
Liking it.

Attachments

• btonewelds 002.jpg
    btonewelds 002.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
And now you may have to do the mirrors. THE DOMINO EFFECT!:grrr:

Already cleaned up the mirrors and they should go back on looking good.

On my original '80 Bertone that I bought in about '85 the mirror reflective backing had deteriorated from around the edges. I took one off and had a local glass shop cut/grind new mirror material to fit and attached with double backed tape. No one would ever know.

Back