• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

245 GL -90 "B6284T" and other 6-cyl builds

I like how old and dangerous that track looks by modern standards. :cool: The timing tower isn't even protected by walls or guard rails.....I guess no one has hit it yet.

The car looks really fun.

Track is Motopark, build on a closed mining area. First there was drag race track and first race was 1986. Upgraded to full road-racing track at early 90's. Now there is problem with enviroment people, because there is new summer cottages near by. They doesn't like the noices from the track. Kafka...

I like how old and dangerous that track looks by modern standards. :cool: The timing tower isn't even protected by walls or guard rails.....I guess no one has hit it yet.

The car looks really fun.
You could propably say that it's a sort of MPV but way nicer :-D

If that looks dangerous, take a look at Ahvenisto: https://youtu.be/QlAS6aGmrKI
2 years ago with street tires, old engine and ~1bar boost. Not really pushing it on the straights. Last year 142 felt like home there.

245 GL -90 "B6284T" and 245 GL -88 "B6284T"

Long time no update and boy it's a blurt. It's not worth one car but two :-P

Summer included mostly driving. Old rear upper poly bushings gave up completely. One cracked through. Replaced them and encountered a problem. New bushings were softer than old beaten ones with extra thickness on sleeves. Driveshaft took contact with floor while accelerating hard. Before I had time to get new 3mm thicker sleeves machined, I put poly inserts in rear axle bushings. This eliminated the driveshaft problem completely. I did of course install thicker sleeves to rear upper bushings too. This made rear feel quite good.

I was looking for thicker sway bars and IPD was almost only offering ones. Bought 25/22mm set and the little I have driven with it gives a nice feeling. Haven't yet had possibility to push hard enoug to really feel the difference between old ones(24/19).

What else? Well I did do another standing mile run last Saturday. Didn't go even close as planned. Pull felt ok but not too good. Just around finish line started to behave like engine was on rev limiter but harder. Few seconds later coolant came through exhaust. Well, at least it did 290kph/181,25mph :roll: Laame.

Videos of how it looked and somewhat sounded:
Incar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvY4jP3_H-Y
Outside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp_kApLR5yg

First I thought that another of two main pumpus did not give enough pressure but after taking head off it looks like cyl. 5 injector failed causing hard knock/etc. Not much to do. Plug melted and cylinder head melted between exhaust valves and another valve broke. Cylinder has deep scratches and there is a doubt that if sleeve has cracked. That because gasket is not broken. Haven't opened more yet but piston is done of course. Such is luck that the piece of broken valve did not hit turbine wheel at all.
Few pics here.

And picture of the plug(up side down):

New engine will be just about the same. I'll just have to take the block and such from spare parts car. Heads I have lying around, one will have a small port and valve job. Lets see if I will now buy better egt sensors, old ones were too slow to begin with. That is that for now, new updates will occur when there is something to say.

But before that I'll just leave some more text here.

Bought a second 245 with an ok body a couple of months ago. -88 GL, B200E and M47 with 177000km/110625miles in odo.
Outside pics here after buying and after some small mods.

After a week started happening a bit. Used another week to put a "B6284T" in it. Same stuff as -90 first engine.
B6254 block, T6 pistons, H-rods, B6304 crank, 204hp cams, MS1 V2.2(changing it to MS2), 870cc injectors, etc..
5-cyl flywheel with M5 -765 SRE pressure plate. First had M90 with T5 disc, now it has BMW GS6-37DZ with modified bellhousing.
First turbo was KKK K27 with #11 exhaust which was way too small. Then it had 55/64mm HX40 with 19 exhaust and it was quite nice. Now it has 60/67mm HX40 with #19 exhaust. Both HX40 make 1,3bar at 4200rpm, smaller just started giving boost earlier and was better for all round driving. Now I have done the beginning of the downpipe three times :rofl:
Fuel lines are still stock from tank to main pump. Moved filter next to main pumpu and changed feed line to 8mm hose. Ithelped a little with fuel. I'll most likely update the whole line later, isn't enough for E85 yet.

Suspension is still quite basic stuff, haven't done "much". Shortened old stock front shocks, shortened front springs with 14.5mm wire. Stock rear shocks, shortened HD springs. Adjustable shocks are coming from GAZ. Polybushings front, rear upper and panhard. Poly inserts with NOS rear axle bushes. Sway bars from -90, which means 24/19.

Changed rear axle from -93 245. Was 3.73 and now is 3.54, much nicer to drive. Changed also rear seat from -93, just to have headrests. Will change electric windows, -mirrors and central lockings from it as well.

Some pictures of the build here.

Had it of course inspected and it's fully road legal :)

At the moment it has around 460hp and 631Nm at 1,3bar boost with E85. Maybe more after fuel line update and new injectors... A new daily driver :nod:

Last edited:
Unlucky with the engine failure, but i bet you'll come all blazing and way better than before ;)

Good luck and keep us posted!

ADam

So, what's up?

Final verdict for engine failure was ready after taking valves out of the head. Exhaust valve broke first and while keeping pedal to the floor, exhaust channel melted so far that coolant came through. Lousy cellphone pics over there. Valve looks nice too. I might use the old block for oversize pistons in the future.

New head came from B6254. Ported it a bit and had a valve job done. Put in new egt sensors with 2mm heads and tested them up to ~850C?. They could be faster but at least they are faster than old ones. After a few delays caused by machinists I got the new engine running last monday and drove it home right away.

While assembling drivetrain I had to change a new hub to the clutch plate. Splines were worn sharp just like with previous plate. As far as I know, there are only rigid sintered clutches available for GS6-53DZ. It causes the splines to wear in daily driving. Change to a normal sprung clutch would mean changing flywheel and having gearbox modified for longer bellhousing. The bellhousing was first ones made around here and we didn't notice that gearbox has a long cast for shift linkage on one point inside bellhousing. With stock 5-cyl flywheel that takes contact with pressure plate and I had to have a full 10mm thinner one made. Now there is only 2-3mm space between plate and flywheel bolts(from automatic flex plate) which prevents using anything else :grrr:

Yesterday I was supposed to just change the rear oil but ended up taking it apart. Did a quick look on the bearings and such. Bigger pinion bearing has taken some damage to outer race but at what point(?). The rear has sounded the same quite some time, meaning not bad. Doesn't change cold/warm, so I assembled everything and put new grease to wheelbearings.

I've driven about 450km this week including few laps in Motopark Raceway today with 1,5-1,6bar boost. Dropped air pressure on the semislicks. Front could have been better with higher pressure but rear felt quite good. Nothing special, car worked ok and I could finally get some testing on the IDP swaybars. Cornering felt balanced as it did previously, just a bit more better.

Here is an incar: https://youtu.be/D9Lpx1ZUYdE
And a couple shaky shots outside: https://youtu.be/F9JmXO4NqCo

Next up is doing a boost control for megasquirt to reduce torque after boost rises. After that a new dyno session some day.

Last edited:
Love watching this thing going on a track, neat project!

Also I adore this pic :-D

Last edited:
It's been soo long since last update :oops: Something has at least happened. Here's some sort of (long)recap. Some videolinks in the end.

Last year ended soon after previous update with another engine problem. Took the head off to change head gasket and noticed scratches in four cylinders. After the engine failure I tried to clean the intake manifold but some debris was still in there. Those came back in to the engine :grrr: That was it for the last year.

I decided still try to build a new engine with better pistons. This time I chose W?ssner 81.5mm. With a friend we had some measurement changes done to the basic model to get higher compression ratio than stock 8.5 and a bit thicker skirts. Wait for the pistons was much longer than originally was told but it didn't change much. The block from the engine mentioned earlier was bored and grinded. Nothing else changed really after trying some rougher cams and T6 intake(can be found in the pics linked below). Has to have a better intake for those cams to idle decently etc.

While engine was out, I did some bodywork and had the whole car painted. Could have painted myself but wanted a better surface. I changed bottoms of rocker panels to square tube for better(?) strength and rebuilt underside of rear bumper. It was bad when I bought the car over 5,5 years ago and somehow it got worse... Also made some sort of halfcage that attaches with bolts and is in the car only when needed.

Pics about stuff that happened to the body and such here.

After waiting the paint to dry, I tried to do some polishing to the surface. I'm still not 100% happy with the result but it's ok :roll: I'll do it again for better results. Bought new original mudflaps and all sorts stuff to fit with new paint.

Here's a pic of a sort:
77.jpg

Slowly during the year I've done a big brake upgrade with XC90 discs. 336mm front, 308mm rear. Front calipers are the same S60/V70II/S80 which I've had before, rear are XC90. Had new front adapters made from aluminium and did rear myself. I'll update the rear to aluminium during the winter. Polaris is a bit difficult with these brakes considering fitment. Spokes are so close. After some fine tuning there is small airgap front and rear. From rear caliper I just had to grind the outside cast straight. Few other bits were needed with rear brakes as well. Handbrake is not yet as I want it. I just modified brakeshoes and linkage. I'll have to have an inside drum machined for it because drum from stock rear disc doesn't fit as is. Pads are EBC Redstuff all round. Balance and pedal feel are great.

Pics of brakes.
Did the front brake assembly outside in the winter while there was no engine in the car :)

After driving a while engine had spark problems in full pull and block cracked outwards from intake side at the same time with head gasket. I've heard this is usual in 4-cyl whiteblocks with same problems. End result was not so bad after all. Block was junk and 2 piston pins were bent due to hydraulic lock. All pins were replaced with stock T6 piston pins and had another block bored and grinded. This block is the one that had some bad experiences in the standing mile last year. Changed the K31 to HX55 with 80mm #25 exhaust and put stock coolant expansion tank for better pressure. The #25 is a little too big, will try #22 if it'll help a bit. I have M90 Eaton on the shelf waiting which will propably help also if I end up using it ;-) Pics of block damage here.

This is how the engine bay looks now.
71.jpg

Changed the front springs from 9" 500lbs to 8" 600lbs. Now front behaves way better than before, especially on track. I have driven now for a while and drove some 20 laps on Ahvenisto in VRCF summermeet. Not pushing the car too much and driving lines are somewhere out there. Engine was driven about 500km after assebly before going to track and had its first "proper" oil changed previous day :-D
Here is an incar video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vs5oxcU9P8

Last sunday did 5 pulls on quarter mile and it went ok. Starting easily with HX55 spooling slowly and me not wanting to hurt rearend and other parts too much. Best speed 218.58km/h(135.8mph), time being 12,316s. Rest of the results here. Weight of the car with driver is around 1600kg/3527lbs.
Incar of a couple of pulls here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsYThSUonds
Notice the nice grinding of second gear on the first pull. Then changing to fourth and after that back to second. Still 209.42km/h(130.13mph) :rofl: Basic street tires, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 215/45 front and 225/45 rear. No clear grip issues with this power yet...

Also did a new rear muffler from stainless. It's about 2.5 times bigger than old. It succeeded surprisingly well and time used was luckily worth it. You can't hear exhaust inside even on full gas. I got some "complaints" that it was too quiet on track :nod: As can(not) be heard in the videos. Pics can be found from the first link or here.

This is half of the old muffler and the new one.
82.jpg

Thats for it now I guess :wtf:

Last edited:
Small updates have happened :wave:

Had a corsett of sorts machined to the block. Just to help prevent cracking of the outer wall if same problems occur as previously.
145.jpg

Updated ecu from MS2 V3 to MS3X V3. Haven't yet completed wiring for cam sensor for sequential. Way smoother operation than MS2. Didn't really expect such a big difference.

Otherwise getting some daily driving done and yesterday visited Motopark Raceway for a couple of laps in the wet. Due to poor grip only 1.5bar max boost on third gear and around 1.8-2 on fourth and fifth. Anyways it was fun driving around after a long time :)
Also had another car there, B230F HX40, Eaton M65, M90, etc. and it's first in the video. At the moment that has only around 250hp, I think :-P

Video here: https://youtu.be/JRr0HjjAgbA
One incar lap per car and short shots from main straight. GoPro audio is still what it is. Outside shots taken by a friend.

Incar lap with better audio here: https://youtu.be/QLa9aEEFeCA
Audio taken from the video recorded(and commented :D by a friend) with the cell seen in the video :lol:

Last edited:
Took a bit long to answer :roll:
Not much yet. Has been sitting in the shelter during the winter.

Just done some shopping for new clutch parts, replacement gearbox(clutch shaft splines worn out), new drivers seat, 2.5" exhaust cutout, better EGT-sensors but not "much" else. Also did get a hold of a third set of Polaris wheels just for winter tires. And no, I haven't driven it during the winter :lol: Will be downgrading from HX55 back to K31 with #20 exhaust for better response.

Nothing left but to assemble everything...

Haven't done a lot during the winter anyways. Though did fiddle with a couple cars and did a quick daily driver 965 -95 2.5l M90 project with HX40 and dynoed it on Monday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY8Aj_LCxks

16.jpg

18" Ixion with 225/40 Hankook S1 Evo 2.

Had the bottom also completely sandblasted, did some sheet metal work, painted with epoxy and redid complete exhaust

17.jpg

Last edited:
Back