• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T6 swapped 1985 volvo 240

jono2004

Hey all, I'm new to this forum stuff, but I thought this is the best place to get help for my project. I have a +T b230 in my 1985 Volvo 240, and I recently blew up my turbo. in my search for a new (to me) turbo, I stumbled across a 2008 Volvo s80 with a 150k miles T6 engine (the twin-turbo one) in the junkyard. I asked the owner and he said I could have the engine for 400 bucks. I've been obsessing over the idea of swapping it into my Volvo ever since. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, so the actual process shouldn't be an issue. I just need some help/insight on what type of transmission I should use (I've heard talk of an m90) what sort of modifications would be required to the engine bay, what I should use for wiring, and how much it should cost. Open to any ideas, and information. Thanks much in advance!
-Jono

Hey all, I'm new to this forum stuff, but I thought this is the best place to get help for my project. I have a +T b230 in my 1985 Volvo 240, and I recently blew up my turbo. in my search for a new (to me) turbo, I stumbled across a 2008 Volvo s80 with a 150k miles T6 engine (the twin-turbo one) in the junkyard. I asked the owner and he said I could have the engine for 400 bucks. I've been obsessing over the idea of swapping it into my Volvo ever since. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, so the actual process shouldn't be an issue. I just need some help/insight on what type of transmission I should use (I've heard talk of an m90) what sort of modifications would be required to the engine bay, what I should use for wiring, and how much it should cost. Open to any ideas, and information. Thanks much in advance!
-Jono

An 08 doesnt have the twin turbo motor and it is also the "short 6" motor with the accessory drive on the "backside" of the engine. You will have a very difficult time getting that motor into a 240. You need the earlier engine if you are going to do it. Further it is a fairly costly swap for what you get out of it. I am currently in the process of doing a t6 swap myself and, looking back on it, I should have just done an LS or a 2j and been done with it a year ago.

Thanks for the quick reply, I must be wrong about the year but it is definitely a twin-turbo t6 (I see the turbo's when I look between the firewall and motor) (also let me know if I'm incorrect with my engine specs) so does that change the fitment in the engine bay? and what have you had to go through for the swap? any heavy fabrication?

Older T6 needs mainly FL 960 oil pan with related parts, engine mounts(make or buy), standalone ECU and a throttle body swap. Depending on the ECU you could use a drive by wire throttle body like stock one. There are all the little things as any swap but nothing major.

Stock turbos and injectors are good for about 300-320hp. For that you don't need any engine mods.

Thank you Lankku, I took a look at your swap on the 245 and WOW. That is truly a piece of art, everything looks like it belongs there from the factory. Would you say it was worth the time, money, and energy? I have 5 months of nothing but winter coming up and need something to tool around on. What ECU system did you use and what Transmission did you use?

Megasquirt has served well, currently have MS3X V3. MS2 is ok but if you want to pay some extra for smoother operation then MS3.

Microsquirt is cheaper, nicely packed and has same tuning properties as MS2. Needs just an external GM-style MAP sensor which is cheap.

I've used M90 and BMW 6-speed ZF transmissions. Not your first choice if you are in North America.

An 08 doesnt have the twin turbo motor and it is also the "short 6" motor with the accessory drive on the "backside" of the engine. You will have a very difficult time getting that motor into a 240. You need the earlier engine if you are going to do it. Further it is a fairly costly swap for what you get out of it. I am currently in the process of doing a t6 swap myself and, looking back on it, I should have just done an LS or a 2j and been done with it a year ago.
Not to bring back a thread from the dead, but this makes me wonder what 2jz went for pre pandemic. Around here you couldn't buy a 2jz with a transmission for what I've spent on my whole running T6 swap.

Not to bring back a thread from the dead, but this makes me wonder what 2jz went for pre pandemic. Around here you couldn't buy a 2jz with a transmission for what I've spent on my whole running T6 swap.
I remember that you could get an Aristo vvti take out for like $2500-3k to my door 5-6 years ago. With that I wouldn't have to have a built motor and there would have been a ton more off the shelf parts. The dollar to dollar performance outcome would have been a lot better. You might be able to sleeze together a decent t6 swap somewhat cheaply, but if you want to do it super nicely and actually do the math for everything involved then its not cheap at all. Further, native bolt on transmission options are a lot easier with a 2j.

I remember that you could get an Aristo vvti take out for like $2500-3k to my door 5-6 years ago. With that I wouldn't have to have a built motor and there would have been a ton more off the shelf parts. The dollar to dollar performance outcome would have been a lot better. You might be able to sleeze together a decent t6 swap somewhat cheaply, but if you want to do it super nicely and actually do the math for everything involved then its not cheap at all. Further, native bolt on transmission options are a lot easier with a 2j.
I'm talking a GTE with a manual trans, ecu. Around here that's a $15k proposition with unknown history and covered in grease, and then its still stock with stock turbos. I've got a fair bit less than that in to a built T6 swap. It is not sleazed together or cheaply done. It's nicely done and clean.

I'm talking a GTE with a manual trans, ecu. Around here that's a $15k proposition with unknown history and covered in grease, and then its still stock with stock turbos. I've got a fair bit less than that in to a built T6 swap. It is not sleazed together or cheaply done. It's nicely done and clean.
I'm talking pre-covid prices for a gte Aristo takeout where if you went single turbo and wanted 600whp you don't need to take the bottom end apart for rods and sleeves like a t6 where even with rods you'd be on the ragged edge without talking to Darton. Shoot, you could have gone 1jz vvti for even less back then and made 600whp with a stock bottom end.

I'm talking pre-covid prices for a gte Aristo takeout where if you went single turbo and wanted 600whp you don't need to take the bottom end apart for rods and sleeves like a t6 where even with rods you'd be on the ragged edge without talking to Darton. Shoot, you could have gone 1jz vvti for even less back then and made 600whp with a stock bottom end.
I paid $800 for my B6284t engine from a 1999 S80. Cost me $1k for closing the deck, new rod and crank bearings and machine shop work. Another $2k for hbeam rods and forged Traum pistons. I would say that the long block engine probably cost be around $5k total excluding the exhaust header, turbo and custom intake plenum. It will do 600 whp all day long. Still cheaper than a clean 2JZ I think and I know that the internals are good.

I paid $800 for my B6284t engine from a 1999 S80. Cost me $1k for closing the deck, new rod and crank bearings and machine shop work. Another $2k for hbeam rods and forged Traum pistons. I would say that the long block engine probably cost be around $5k total excluding the exhaust header, turbo and custom intake plenum. It will do 600 whp all day long. Still cheaper than a clean 2JZ I think and I know that the internals are good.
did you miss the part where I said pre covid prices? Also, no real bolt on exhaust mani options, no bolt on intake mani options, only 1 camshaft upgrade option, Only 1 drop on wiring harness option...shall I keep going? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the t6, but on the whole there are better options for the money/work involved. You really have to be committed to keeping it all Volvo for it to make sense.

Rods yes, but sleeving a 81mm bore block is overkill with that little power. And for those numbers a stock T6 intake and cams are enough(not saying the best).

Also, iirc, yours doesn't even run yet. Talk to me once you get there.
Oh that hurts! :LOL: I'm getting there though. It'll hopefully run this summer. It would be on the road if it wasn't for all the other stuff I'm doing on the car. There is a "semi" bolt-on option for the intake since DeeWorks can sell you a flange adapter for a 2JZ intake. And my friend will happily copy the exhaust header he made for my build if someone ever needs one. But yes you're right in saying that the Toyota engine might be a better choice if you consider all the aftermarket parts that are available for the 2JZ. Better but not cheaper.

Back