• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

need measurements to 3dprint a Kjet airbox to +T adapter

autoloclys

I have access to CAD and 3d printers at work and am trying to make a part that will bolt onto a Kjet airbox in place of the fuel distributor and air plenum thingy and let you connect the "cobra hose" without having to weld together a plate and big diameter tube, it should also look factory if printed in black material. It would simplify the process to using a Kjet airbox for a clean +T intake setup.

I have an airbox but not the distributor.

If anyone has access to one, I need to know how tall is the tube that mates with the cobra hose and any specific measurements of the shelf and undercut on the outer diameter where it is clamped on.

This is the part i am talking about.

s-l225.jpg

mm please

Once i get it sorted out ill be happy to share the file. Its a little big for the common consumer grade printers, but could be split into 2 prints. Or if there is interest i could put it on shapeways, and folks can order prints from them.

Interested as I am modifying one of these as well for the same purpose. I am going the route of a 5/16" aluminum plate cut out using the factory gasket (#1 in the picture) as a template with a 5" aluminum "pipe" welded to the plate for the "cobra" to mount to. The materials cost me around $35.00. The gasket was $7.00 and change from Tasca.

Attachments

• Turbo_Airbox_Gutted.jpg
    Turbo_Airbox_Gutted.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 335
here is a test piece to verify hole locations and the interface size for the cobra hose. I plan on shaping the plate to match the surface it mates to. If its not too much of a pain ill also block off the cavity under the flat part of the plate to clean up the airflow. the main measurement i need is the height of the cobra tube interface.

4fTRd6LZ6yVGaneGA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4fTRd6LZ6yVGaneGA

Gutted_K_Jet_Fuel_Distributor4.jpg

(and as noted in the other airbox thread, a 4" PVC DWV coupler is just over 5" in diameter if anyone wants to try fabricating with plumbing parts)

yep!

The test piece was pretty good, had to adjust a pair of mounting holes. For an actual usable part out of ABS i need to print on a different machine with a smaller volume, so the part had to be split into 2 pieces. first half should be out of the printer in the morning. Ill post pics when i have a complete part.

I just uploaded some pics to this album linked below.

The 2 piece version printed great out of ABS and the fit is tight but very good. I need to sort out moving the washer bottle before i can run this on my car, but if anyone is interested in printing their own and testing it out sooner, i can make the files available. I think you will still want a gasket to ensure a good seal to the airbox. Not totally sure how the ABS will hold up in the engine bay, but i don't think this part will get too hot in the stock location. This version was not printed solid to make the print go faster (still 30 hours total for both pieces) but that might be preferable for the part to last long term.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rK4BMwiVwVCvVR6HA

printing a one piece version this weekend for nolift911, I havnt had time to figure out mounting the turbo airbox in my car much less seeing if the printed part will work for real.

If the print comes out well, im open to posting the files on thingiverse. The one piece version is the ideal way to make it, but going to be tough to fit on most home machines

Great work !!

However if you are planning above 250 hp, as i found on the dyno, you need to ditch this airbox, because its airflow is not great, as it is. If you do the airbox mod probably helps a lot though and solves the problem, never tried it. Also if i remember (i may be wrong) reading in the past, this cobra snorkel due to its changing shape along its way to the turbo as well as its wrinkles costs an extra 7hp or 17hp (?). Maybe my memory is giving up though :p

Back