• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Midwest Meet Planning

Overboosted745

Sofa King
Ok, I'm gonna re-start this thread here.

The couple of midwest guys on the board are thinking about a midwest meet. The midwest is a very broad area, and we're trying to figure out a good middle-ground where we could all meet, not have to pay any $$ to get in, and have it be semi-unique.

I know of one place in West Lafayette, IN (47906) that is free and kinda cool, its where my buddies in the BMW club have our weekly meets. It's on top of the tallest parking garage in the area, and when there you get a sweet 360 panoramic view of the wabash valley.

I've gotten some e-mails from board members around here saying that they'd drive a maximum of 3 - 4 hours one way from where they're at right now. I'd be willing to do the same.

If you've got ideas, post them on the board, along with the zip codes so all of us can "mapquest" some directions and times.

Ryan
mckennar@purdue.edu
West Lafayette, IN

Good luck with that. It's too bad the midwest is so big and spread out! We've got about 15-25 people within an hour of the Washington DC area, and more from nearby areas who would come for larger shows.

My advice about organizing an event is to gauge interest, pick a location and time, and set the date far in advance so you can get the word out. The more people you expect to show up, the farther in advance you should set the date (espeically if they're driving in from far away). I know from experience that last minute (within a week) attempts to get a meeting together will not work out very well.

We had one once when about 5 people were going to come and another half dozen or so weren't certain. 3 showed up, and that was the last time I tried a get together until the one I'm doing now.

I say somewhere in Illinois... I'm in Iowa, some are in Wisconsin, Minn., Indiana, etc... Mid/southern illinois seems to be a good spot, about 4-5hrs from everywhere... maybe a little more for some, near or far out in Kentucky or Ohio, but semi adequate... I don't know.
I do have a fine circle track in my town that can be rented for events, has a fair ground too, just perfect for a large/medium scale meet. It's the only paved circle track in Iowa, and is sanctioned by Nascar... sits empty 99.9% of the time... somewhat pricey thought, so that may not be the route right now...
If we/you/us, can get an event going, make it annual (after two meets), maybe sponsorship and the like will follow... if the meet becomes big enough, Volvo may show up w/ their cool truck and some nice show cars, like the BTCC/Swedish S60 racer...
I'm pumped... if this happens in the spring, I'll have my car done, engine and suspension, maybe not body work, but that is only cosmetic and doesn't amount to much in performance...
My company's CEO is a big race fan, and would probably be down w/ some sort of sponsorship if I can throw a good line to him... I eat lunch w/ him usually once a week...

Well, again, how about joining this thread with the other mid west meet post...

I'm in Michigan north of detroit so I can pretty much go all around, a few hours for a drive wouldn't be too bad.

Late

I live in Ct. but I travel all through the midwest regularly with enough notice I would toss the car on my trailer and show for shure. :lol: [/img][/list][/url][/quote][/i][/b]

Are there any particular land marks to use for a gathering place, that would be the easiest place of them all to hold a meet and everyone can find it easily enough if they get lost.

Late.

I've been trying to look for places that are central to everybody, but so far 2-3 hours from some people is 4+ for others, and vice versa.

The midwest is so damn honkin huge and members are scattered so thin that it's hard to get a place that is pleasing to all.

As far as landmarks... it's the midwest... we have the Arch in STL, ummmmm maybe somewhere near chicago.

There's some talk about central illinois but I'm having troubles finding out what the HELL there is to do in central Illinois!!!

Now there IS a 1/4 dragstrip in Morocco Indiana called US41. That's in semi-northwestern Indiana and is no more than 15 min from Interstate 65. The surface isn't 100% but it's safer than street racing.

I was thinking it'd be a fun thing to do to do a lil drag day with our bricks but who knows. It's so early in the game right now that not only do we not know *where* to have it ,but also we don't know what to do when we get there. But if I were to vote, cast 1 for drag day.

Ryan
West Lafayette, IN

Drag day would be pretty cool to do, would give us way to kill the day and would also give us time to fix whatever someone breaks :wink:

Late

Yeah, central IL doesn't have a drag strip. What about southwestern IN? Evansville maybe. Somewhere in west central or southwest IN that would be kinda central? Indy would be a long haul for me. I'd be good if we're going to have a drag day that we set it up near someone's home who has tools, just incase.

Or the STL, dirty!

Yes! a midwest meet would be fantastik. I'm in se WI and would travel 5-6 hrs. How about a swapmeet, nothing fancy, just sell by yer car or at some designated area? Maybe we could do an informal poll just to see where the most interest lies.

Ed Moczulewski 87 245; turbo sways, 760 wheels,2.25 exhaust,530i seats and soon a v 15 cam

http://www.dragnbreath.com/US41Dragway/MapDir.html#Anchor

here's the link to the directions on how to get to the dragway in northwest central IN.

I'd be willing to drive to southwest IN to go drag providing someone volunteers to "take one for the team" and be the support car. The problem with this might be that it's too far away from our northern T-Brickers in WI and MI etc.

A swap meet will probably take place in the parking lot of wherever we meet when we're either pre-staging or hanging out at the end of the day... but I know for a fact my car will be in race trim... i.e. stripped interior, no spare etc...

I live near Greatlakes Dragaway and each year they have a huge VW meet. It works out well for them, why not for us? I think that the hwy41 spot would be a fine location. Would we need insurance or would we just sign a waver? How about camping, cooking, food available or venders? Spring could be a good time. I've been to many BMW cycle rallies and many are located away from large cities. This appeals to me because you get the local "flavor" and get to see a new area. Also the locals are often very friendly if they have been informed ahead of time so that they know what to expect. As long as we respect the people and their town we will probably be welcomed back. Money spent in the area is always welcomed.

Ed

Hey, I'm not that far north in MI, I'm just north of Detroit. Yahoo says its roughly a ~300 mile drive/little over 5 hours, assuming that is following posted speed limits :wink:

So I usually add about another hour or so if there are delays, traffic, etc and unexpected things.

I'd probably be willing to go there, I know theres a Milan Dragway here off US-23 also and there's one in northern MI called Ubly thats only 1/8 mile, and Northern dragway.

http://www.milandragway.com

http://www.ublydragway.com

and

http://www.ublydragway.com/northernhome.htm

I'd be willing to travel probably anywhere just that, obviously, we want the place thats best so that everyone can go/make the drive.

We also need to figre out costs too such as if we have to rent the tracks or what depending on where we go.

We should get a list of places and make a poll to see whats more favorable. :boink:

Late

Hmm id definantly have no problem driven my little 240 down to indiana, its not too far really (commin from grand rapids michigan) jsut thought id throw my hat in the ring and say id be down with goin there

I'm over in Birmingham, MI. Do you know Nathan up in GR?

Yeah, this is definitely going to work out.

Late.

I'd don't know about Morocco, that'd be a long haul for me (map quest says it's 6 hours), I'd have to pay for a hotel to spend the night. I know because of the size of the midwest it's going to be hard, but I'd like to set up a day trip (4 hours drive time each way max). If school duties don't strap me down to bad and a lot of people say they are going to make it I might be able to do a far drive.

Back