• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242 surgery time

BryantTF242

So I picked up a rebuilt and built up B21ft block a few months back, getting close to the time where I will be tearing the 242 apart and go through almost everything here I put the new engine in.

I'm Looking for more power, but also keeping it CA smog happy, and want something better than kjet, my thoughts are LH2.2 OR LH2.4.

What would be better and what's needed to do the swap with a B21ft and keep it "CA legal" looking to maybe get 16-17 psi out of the turbo.

Having trouble finding articles on this. Thanks in advance.

LH 2.4 is best for fuel. Do EZK116 as well if you can, though you probably know that the crank sensor bolts and guide need to be located, plus you need the correct flywheel.

Barring that you could run EZK117 with LH2.4 instead.

All that mentioned neither option is all that great.

Lh 2.4 can make for a fun setup. You'll have to have to take it to a referee and say it's a b230ft from a 1990 or so car. You'll have to have all emissions devices operating.
The issue with this is that you're required to have the stock turbo from that car too. (13c)

The k jet when working good can do 200wheel and 250 ish tq on a basically stock engine that passes smog.

You can make tons of power on a kjet, I was running 17lbs boost, you can override the cold start injector for more fuel, the stock block is super strong with forged internals. 7.1 compression makes for high boost potential and it's all smog legal. Timing was the part that kept me from rinning more boost but if you get a MSD controller and you can run crazy boost.

if you get a MSD controller and you can run crazy boost.
Well technically you could run "crazy boost", but with all the timing you would be pulling with a MSD BTM it will not be very fast. A MSD BTM is designed for supercharged or blown cars running low boost. Does not work well at 15+psi.

I was thinking of running kjet, and doing the cold start injector for more boost. Just looking at my options since the car will soon be in the position to do so. I'm leaning more towards 2.2 right now because of the ease of installation, less fuel lines going all over the engine bay, and reliability, but I'm not sure how much boost 2.2 can handle. I'm not looking at running 25+psi, only looking for around 16-17psi.

I was thinking for 2.2 I could just swap the head, intake and all other related parts and ref it as a ~89 740 turbo.

But I'm not against keeping kjet, just want to know my options.

On what turbo?
If it's a near stock size, k-jet can supply that, but k-jet isn't very efficient and generally runs rich at higher boost levels. You would get much better driveability and gas mileage out of LH.

Aurelius hits 30lbs but he's running E85 with HUGE injectors and all forged internals. I still have one of the blocks the he blew up in the garage and think that was only 23lbs not forged, he's also blown 2 rear ends and 3 transmissions so there is no easy just swap and hit 25lbs. that is a ton of boost, and you would need a big turbo, the 20T is working good for him tho. do an LS swap and bar that :cool:

2.2 using breakerless ignition [stock] has been super reliable and works great on my race car, also on a number of street driven cars I know of. 2.4 has more tuneability but is a little more difficult to set up.

I was able to sneak a stock looking 2.2 swap I did on a friends 240T through a smog test. Passed first try

Aurelius hits 30lbs but he's running E85 with HUGE injectors and all forged internals. I still have one of the blocks the he blew up in the garage and think that was only 23lbs not forged, he's also blown 2 rear ends and 3 transmissions so there is no easy just swap and hit 25lbs. that is a ton of boost, and you would need a big turbo, the 20T is working good for him tho. do an LS swap and bar that :cool:

Lol no I'm not going to go that crazy 25psi sounds like to much work and more reasons to pop haha.

I think ima go with the 2.2 route, sounds straightforward enough. I found one article on here about doing the swap but it was a little mixed with info.

Anyone have a good article to follow for a 2.2 swap?

Dave's harness makes it easier, but it's already pretty easy to use a factory 240 LH 2.2 harness if you have one in good shape

You have to unwrap and resolder a few wires to relocate the MAF to the passenger front side. Unless you want to run a blow through MAF [I dont like the concept of that]

Check a wiring diagram, pop open the connector on the firewall near the drivers side and move the pins around to get things like the starter, OP light, etc to work.

There's a 4-pin connector on the interior side of the LH engine harness you can use to jump wires from the existing connector that goes to the factory fuel pump relay [on a K-jet car, underneath the drivers side knee bolster area] so that you can get juice going to the LH ECU, fuel pumps etc.

You can make tons of power on a kjet, I was running 17lbs boost, you can override the cold start injector for more fuel, the stock block is super strong with forged internals. 7.1 compression makes for high boost potential and it's all smog legal. Timing was the part that kept me from rinning more boost but if you get a MSD controller and you can run crazy boost.

"Tons of power". At 18 psi it's 200/250wheel with a huge intercooler, custom intake manifold, full 3" exhaust, b cam.

It's 7.5:1

Where you getting these forged internal for a b21ft?
I was running 28-30psi on my b21ft with deka 80s and the only thing that happened was I killed the rod bearing by having low oil and 7000rpm.
I'm also running a holset hy35 and a tremec tko600.

200/250 as diesel boy said twice. I'll back him up. My 242 made 205/230 at the wheels. Chipped 2.2, stock injectors were at about 100% duty on a big to4b compressor at about 12psi.
What turbo are you using? Talking boost means nothing otherwise- a 13c will have you loosing power at that boost level, or a big turbo you'll have blown up the engine due to running out of injector.

No real improvement over a good k jet with lh2.2.

I made 200 wheel hp and 250ft lbs with k jet at 18 psi on a 90+ manifold and original.63/.42 t3 turbo, non turbo intake, b cam, big intercooler, etc..

Lh2.4 is better all around imo.

These "limits" are too variable.

I scattered several engines on 2.2 broke a couple on 2.4 and k jet.
I'm on my first broken one with microsquirt.

Back