• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

72 142e hot start issue

KS242T

I have a 72 142e that starts and runs great when its cold and will start up most of the time when it is hot (if I remember to hold the gas pedal down). Sometimes (at least once a day when I may start the car 5-6 times) the car will not start on the 1st-5/6th crank. Usually by the 6th+ crank I can get it to start but it starts real low and I have to keep the gas pedal down until it "wakes up" and then I can let off and it will idle normally. One the crank when it will finally kick over it is usually low for 10-15 seconds and the engine sound slowly builds and I will usually hear a few pops under the car until it comes to life. Has anyone ever had this issue, is it just flooded? This usually will occur (the hard start) after highway driving. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as always.

TLDR: Volvo doesn't want to start for the first 5-6 cranks usually after highway driving, starts fine otherwise.

Sounds like it's flooding, or has really weak spark from a dying battery, hence the backfires.

Why would you crack the throttle to start it when hot? Is there a manual or automatic choke? If the choke is automatic, have you checked that it isn't stuck on?

Still factory fuel injection. All the wiring for the car was professionally redone, but the injectors are the same as when I bought the car and I had this problem before the rewire. I hope its not the injectors, haha, those are not cheap!

FI = Djet? If so, I think it's just something they're prone to. My '72 164E has exhibited the same problem occasionally, though not for several months (knock on wood). Seems to come and go. The one thing you want to be sure of is that your check valve in your fuel pump is working properly. This helps keep fuel at your injectors when the car isn't running, which helps keep them cool and minimizes/avoids vapor lock. I also believe Volvo started adding an extra washer (metal?) or maybe just a thicker one to help this problem. If you search "Injector Heat Soak Cured? 1800 1970" over at Brickboard, I believe you'll find some helpful info.

After being in the sun all day, I had a hard time explaining this to you at the Kc Volvo gathering.

This is a common issue for d-jet cars. The 73 models added a ceramic washer under the fuel injector holders. That was Volvo's attempt to battle the hot start issue. I learned this after I re-installed my backwards. I now have the same issue with mine. I am considering making a little heat shield to accompany the washers at some point.

FI = Djet? If so, I think it's just something they're prone to. My '72 164E has exhibited the same problem occasionally, though not for several months (knock on wood). Seems to come and go. The one thing you want to be sure of is that your check valve in your fuel pump is working properly. This helps keep fuel at your injectors when the car isn't running, which helps keep them cool and minimizes/avoids vapor lock. I also believe Volvo started adding an extra washer (metal?) or maybe just a thicker one to help this problem. If you search "Injector Heat Soak Cured? 1800 1970" over at Brickboard, I believe you'll find some helpful info.

very correct!

D-Jet injectors are supposed to have a thermal insulating washer on either side of the aluminum mounting bracket.

2000426.jpg

D-Jet injectors are supposed to have a thermal insulating washer on either side of the aluminum mounting bracket.

2000426.jpg

Based on your extensive experience, do you know if these insulating washers break down / fall apart? It's a part of the equation I wasn't aware of and am curious to know if I should try to check the condition of mine. Your expertise and willingness to share it, as always, is greatly appreciated!

The washers are very brittle and can break when tightening the bolt so be gentle. I suppose they could get oil soaked and loose their ability to insulate, though.

Back