• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Heads up on Mann filter

oleseahorse

Out of necessity I went to Advance Auto to purchase my mann filter and received a black W920/17 for my 240. Suspicious as I never saw a black one

Garbage. Check valve stinks. Stick to W917 from regular vendors like fcp. Now I get to do an oil change do-over!

Marty

Oh, yeah, old news but I was poopoo'd when I brought this up. Wix/Mann/Napa Gold changed over a couple years ago with the buyout. That's when the black paint job came out, and when the ADBV changed. Takes longer to build pressure, took 5-6 seconds on nearly every start on the truck, which ended up wiping rod bearings after about 3k. Went over to M1 filters, no issues since and no hang time to build pressure. With the Wix/Mann's I could shut the engine off, wait 5 minutes, pull the filter and have no pressure at all.

That, plus the W917 crimp issue that popped up a few years back, is what made me switch to the Mahle OC 204 filters. Oil pressure builds almost immediately with those on my B21FT...

So just for my understanding as I've only been using the W917 for my cars,

the white W917's are still the go-to filters but the black ones (W920/17) are to avoid? Or is there an issue with the W917's too now?

Also, what was the crimp issue about?

Thank you for the info, I saw the black filters available on Amazon and wondered what the difference was.

I've had good luck with Motorcraft FL-1A on my B230FT. It's a tight fit.

Which part is a tight fit? I'm not familiar with the dimensions, but the W917 is a tight fit to the alternator on all my 240s (even with denso alt) to the point that i have to disconnect the battery to change oil.

Maybe your interference with with the downpipe due to the relocation arm.

Wait this is an issue?
That might explain the iffy cold/warm startup oil pressure light until the engine is revved.
WTF

Same here with my 960. I just figured it was a feature of le' old beater.

So my next question is, what is a good parts store filter these days? I don't always have the luxury of thinking ahead.

If said parts store is hooked into Worldpac or IMC, they can get the Mahle filters and have them within 3-4 hours of ordering, if either supplier has a warehouse within 100 miles or so. Otherwise, I'd order a case of them through iPd or FCP, etc, and just keep a decent stock handy.

From the Mann catalog, click on the application tab.

Looks like you were given the wrong filter. Take it back for refund/replacement.

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/...7;jsessionid=0313E481234EA72D290EFB39FE4D7B59

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/...draulic Transmission Filter, Oil Filter/W 917

If you look at the advance auto parts (where OP was shopping) website though they don't even list the white mann any more. So I doubt he'll get anywhere. Advance will say well it's the right size and thread, so it's right.

Also from your comparison they don't even call out any drain back valve information about that black filter on the mann site.

Last edited:
Wait this is an issue?
That might explain the iffy cold/warm startup oil pressure light until the engine is revved.
WTF

You bet it's an issue. The mann w917 never set the oil pressure light at startup except maybe a nanosecond. These blackies are no darn good. One other time I used an off-brand filter and also encountered the oil pressure light staying on at startup 4for 2-4 seconds. 2-4 seconds is too long for me.

Good luck,

Marty

Last edited:
If said parts store is hooked into Worldpac or IMC, they can get the Mahle filters and have them within 3-4 hours of ordering, if either supplier has a warehouse within 100 miles or so. Otherwise, I'd order a case of them through iPd or FCP, etc, and just keep a decent stock handy.

When I first got into Volvos I thought buying a pallet of filters at once was unnecessary.. Now I'm thinking I should just clear a spot on the shelf for a pack.

Back