• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

87 740t electric window failed-not switch

ovlov

Hi,
Sorry my first post is not a happy one.
Drivers side electric window winder failed after winding it down 2/3 of the way down. Checked switches, but the driver window winder switch worked when connected to any other window, drivers window winder motor failed to respond when connected to any switch. Currently I have had to take the winder off so I can close the window and jam a bit of wood underneath the window keeping it shut - a real pain.
Looks very difficult to replace the winder mechanism people have said they are almost indestructible. Maybe it's just a bad connection somewhere, any one had any experience in this?

I've changed the regulator on my driver's side electric window in my wife's 92 740 and it really wasn't hard at all. You have to take the door trim off, take out the window, drill out the rivets that hold the regulator on and then just remove it and replace with a new regulator that bolts in. Yours is a little different from mine but the procedure should be roughly the same and parts are cheaper for the older cars.

Is it just the motor that's gone bad? I have a good motor if that's the problem. On my car the motor was good but the regulator was bent a little and missing a couple of teeth. Let me know if you need the power window motor, I'll try to find out if its the same one for all 740s.

Thanks for that info djtibb, I will check it out although I have to wait for the weekend to find the time :evil: . Also got a fuel pump upgrade coming up soon before I do anything else. As my car is currently stock I look forward to building it up to a modest level.

Back