• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

82 B21ft overboost pressure switch questions

volvosruinedmylife

Hello, I am working with an 1982 242 glt with b21ft non intercooled. I have been reading all over the forum and I am still confused about using a Saab overboost pressure switch. I see them on Amazon and other places but dont know which one to use? I am trying to do the terminal 11. trick and I am honestly kinda lost on where to go with this. If anyone can help me figure this out that would be great. I have read so much I am now at the point of asking.

engine mods that are happening currently
Stage 0 already:
3' exhaust with aftermarket cat and muffler
Ipd turbo camshaft
adjustable cam gear
K&n filter and airbox mod
termanal 11 trick if I can figure it out.

Thanks,
Jesse

Back in the day the Saab 900 Turbo switch was a popular choice because it was easily adjusted and very cheap in the junk yards. Not so cheap any more https://www.ebay.com/p/1222695132
So there may be better choices nowadays. Way overpriced for a 30 year old used part.
Dave B

Well you have a few options. However, the overboost pressure switch is used to cut the fuel pumps when overboosting. If you want to do the terminal 11 trick with an overboost switch. You buy the Saab one because it's adjustable and it works to switch to ground like the boost enrichment switch. The Saab switch being adjustable means you can set the boost pressure to trigger terminal 11 where you need it to kick in.

I would suggest adding a NPR intercooler to that list.

Well you have a few options. However, the overboost pressure switch is used to cut the fuel pumps when overboosting. If you want to do the terminal 11 trick with an overboost switch. You buy the Saab one because it's adjustable and it works to switch to ground like the boost enrichment switch. The Saab switch being adjustable means you can set the boost pressure to trigger terminal 11 where you need it to kick in.

I would suggest adding a NPR intercooler to that list.

Thank you. what would my other options be other than the termanal 11 trick. can I just get a manual boost controller? Isn't terminal 11 trick for increasing the fuel? sorry I think I have confused my self.

And as the intercooler goes. should i just buy the NPR one and not even bother with a factory one? I have access to a factory intercooler, but i would rather just do it right.

A manual boost controller will let you set the boost pressure for the turbo. The terminal 11 trick is a grounded signal going to that pin on the ecu to enrich the fuel mixture. If you are running non intercooled avoid going over about 8-9psi.

factory intercooler is a big improvement. The NPR intercooler is another good improvement over factory. I would suggest at least using the factory setup since you have access to it and you'll need the mounting hardware from the factory setup for an NPR one anyway.

thanks, I wont be turning the boost up until the intercooler is installed. I will get the stock 740 intercooler working first with everything since It is cheap. I just want a clean install. Do you have any suggestions on a boost controller or manual boost contoller? Like anywhere you suggest I can buy one, and the saab part? and many the air fuel meter and boost gage also I just dont want to buy crap.

I bought the Saab pressure switch from a Saab used parts vender. It's been many years and I forget the vender. The other option is to buy a generic adjustable pressure switch from NAPA. I remember someone here posting about it. Don't know any other info. An electronics supplier like Digikey may also have generic pressure switches to use.

That is just the kind of pressure switch I was referring to. The only other thing you'll need to get is a 1/8npt barb fitting with a 1/4" barb on it.

Back