• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Old Volvo special tool master list?

ToolCabinet1.jpg

ToolCabinet2.jpg

Was there a different style? Maybe wire cages? I think they showed up in 1976 with the introduction of the new body.

Thanks for the memories update. The last time I saw them they were in a shipping container in the back lot of a dealership. This happened after them purge.

The two that would be useful, and nice to see dome detailed photos of, if you have them, would be:

1. Diff side bearing puller - I bought the one Dave Barton's site mentions and it's touch and go/hit and miss, barely good enough. With some minor diff mods with a grinder it would work reliably though. Wondering what the Volvo one is like

2. 240 lower rear trailing arm bush install/remove tool(s) - easy enough to make, but wondering how the factory one(s) looked

Cheers :-)

Thank you very much for that! I think I may actually have seen the diff side bearing tool in another image before, however the trailing arm bushing tool pic is new to me, and welcome :-) Cheers!

On the trailing arm bushing tool. Be aware the bolt and nut is the consumable part and volvo doesn't provide a part number for the bolt like they do for hardware on the car. So measure it up and save the information should you need to replace the bolt. I've had to replace mine a couple times over the years.

Last edited:
The two that would be useful, and nice to see dome detailed photos of, if you have them, would be:

1. Diff side bearing puller - I bought the one Dave Barton's site mentions and it's touch and go/hit and miss, barely good enough. With some minor diff mods with a grinder it would work reliably though. Wondering what the Volvo one is like

2. 240 lower rear trailing arm bush install/remove tool(s) - easy enough to make, but wondering how the factory one(s) looked

I'm not sure that I have tool number 1, but I do have #2

TJmiowHl.jpg

djSO4ixl.jpg

flTXAwBl.jpg

2QK7Md9l.jpg

9WvyLZ9l.jpg

75NLfdHl.jpg

XfOzFo4l.jpg

kLYqCWZl.jpg

rrk2ZZSl.jpg

Is anybody able to identify the use for any of these tools? They are not official Volvo except for the first pic, but they are all for Volvos, mostly older stuff I think, B20/P20.

Yle58N2l.jpg

muaFm33l.jpg

^MOSTLY ENGINE TOOLS (but some suspension)^

lGph5lvl.jpg

gfBL7nCl.jpg

ACRT5mKl.jpg

aLaYaSnl.jpg

43FQKGal.jpg

^MOSTLY SUSPENSION TOOLS (but some engine)^

9cfMrrrl.jpg

rADPmjcl.jpg

Last edited:
The stud with nut that's been brazed at one point are the original parts for the 240 rear trailing arm bushing tool. It's easily damaged if you're not careful and was replaced with a regular bolt.

lGph5lvl.jpg

XfOzFo4l.jpg

The two long screws that are tapered at the top are alignment studs for installing the cylinder head. Depending on the threads they're either for push rod or OHC red block engines.

The two long bolts with the cross bars and spark plugs welded on the ends are home made tools for removing the cam cover on whiteblock engines.

43FQKGal.jpg

8754bbc6d01ac207144b18894fde4eb3.jpg

The stud with nut that's been brazed at one point are the original parts for the 240 rear trailing arm bushing tool. It's easily damaged if you're not careful and was replaced with a regular bolt.

The two long screws that are tapered at the top are alignment studs for installing the cylinder head. Depending on the threads they're either for push rod or OHC red block engines.

The two long bolts with the cross bars and spark plugs welded on the ends are home made tools for removing the cam cover on whiteblock engines.

Thanks very much! I would have not figured that out myself, but I'm glad as I can make use of both the redblock and whiteblock tools now that I know what they do!

I like the idea of collecting authentic parts. If you are a devoted Volvo fan, a stock of "native" parts will always come in handy. Even if they are not useful to you, you can always sell them for a great price. I used to collect parts for old cars and it was just my hobby. Until the first wave of Covid put me out of a job. I had to start selling parts, and I made great money then. It would be great if I could find something like clamps from Volvo, like these sandfieldengineering.com.

Last edited:
Back