• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 bypassing dash dimmer

RickATL

I have read several times in threads about how bypassing the dimmer will make the dash lights brighter. I tried making a wire with prongs to connect the two. It didn't work, so I clipped the wires and tried just running them together. Does it need to be wired some special way?

Attachments

• bypass2.jpg
    bypass2.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 146
Thanks for the info, im also wondering if both the red/whites connected to both the browns or are they supposed to be individually seperated.

Replace the blade connectors and use one of these.

PRO_SK100547.jpg

Can anyone confirm that bypassing the dimmer makes the dash lights brighter?
I've been having trouble seeing my dash at night as more cars with Xenon and LED lights are on the road.

Does it need to be wired some special way?
Power comes in on grey from fuse 16.
Red/white takes full power to seat belts + ashtray.
Brown #1 (dimmed) goes to radio display.
Brown #2 (dimmed) goes to the (auto) shifter, panel lights, and gauges.
As stated, connect them all together using your favorite technique.

Can anyone confirm that bypassing the dimmer makes the dash lights brighter?

They will be as bright as they "can" be.

air cooled VW's. (Wire Block Connector)
wire nuts
Flux, solder, and heat shrink tubing.

I believe the TB "correct" way is with a square knot (or a granny knot if you're in a hurry), wrapped in several layers of Xmas-themed Scotch tape.

Ok, get 2 male spade terminals, connect them with a short length of wire. Unplug the dimmer, connect the 2 leads using your new patch cord. Insulate them with heat shrink tubing, or electrical tape if you must. Please don't use a wire nut. Not for use in a car. Electrical tape doesn't withstand time that well and will eventually start to unravel.

You do not need to be hooked to the dimmer switch at all.

Final report

Thanks. I did it like you said here and it worked now. As to whether it's brighter?.... Maybe 20% total. It will have to be good enough until I figure out how to to put LEDs there. I ordered a set and I don't see how they will fit in to the bulb bases in the dash console.

Ok, get 2 male spade terminals, connect them with a short length of wire. Unplug the dimmer, connect the 2 leads using your new patch cord. Insulate them with heat shrink tubing, or electrical tape if you must. Please don't use a wire nut. Not for use in a car. Electrical tape doesn't withstand time that well and will eventually start to unravel.

You do not need to be hooked to the dimmer switch at all.

What is the voltage there? It should be just over 14V with the car running. If not, something might be on the circuit that is using a lot of power or the ground isn't in good condition.

Back