• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

245 turbo project

Very nice car and work.
Just a small note about the ABS. Beware that you will have to have the same count of teeth on the front wheels and in the rear dif. So be careful, because in the front you have a lot of space to play with but in the dif, there is no space. And if your 245 has electronic speedo you have 12 teeth inside the rear dif.

Hi, another mini update

I fitted my strut brace, supplied by DVS. It's a quality item, recommended. It came bare steel so I painted it. (I ordered mine without the usual powder coating, because in the future I'm planning to weld onto it to create an improved top engine mount).
DSC_0250.jpg

No photo, but I also swapped the rear Black Diamond pads for standard ones. They had a loud squeal that would not go away no matter what I tried. I'll retain them for temp fitting if I ever do a trackday.

Also cleaned the car ready for it's weekend away
DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0257.jpg

All for now, time to go for a drink!

John

John, I am in the process of repairing body damage and repainting my 92 244 that is the same color as your spectacular wagon.

I only hope my results can come close to what you have achieved here... Your car looks fantastic, it is motivating me to get out in the garage and get back to work, because red 240s are awesome :volvo::volvo::volvo::volvo:

John, I am in the process of repairing body damage and repainting my 92 244 that is the same color as your spectacular wagon.

I only hope my results can come close to what you have achieved here... Your car looks fantastic, it is motivating me to get out in the garage and get back to work, because red 240s are awesome :volvo::volvo::volvo::volvo:

Hi, thanks for the kind words and I'm glad that you're re-motivated to fix your car!

I LOVE this colour on 240s!

John

I love the social opportunities which come from good car forums.

Ste and I were invited up to Aberdeenshire to meet up with Mitch (a friend I met through volvoforum.org.uk) and his wife Karen. We did an Easter weekend road trip.... we were made very welcome and had a great time... many thanks both!!

Mitch and Karen's beautiful holiday cottage
DSC_0259.jpg

The garden
DSC_0258.jpg

Larson (aka boofhead)
DSC_0261.jpg

Nick, Ste, Mitch and Larson - while waiting to meet Karen before our trip to the Strathisla distillery
DSC_0263.jpg

The old 245 did over a thousand miles in the weekend. The rear suspension is not optimised yet, but even so it was comfortable, fast and reliable throughout.

John

Chesh is supplying upgrade ECU and EZK chips. He's kindly sent me some, which I'll fit soon and report back :)

John

John I just read your entire thread and I had no idea you had started with a late model 240. Cowl and rear quarter swaps?! Insane!

Honestly, I'd be thrilled if my 245 project came out 1/100th as nice. Well done man.

Thanks! :)

Yeah, due to our climate, early 240s here are rusty or expensive (sometimes both...), so I decided to make my own using a good, cheap later shell. The base car cost ?300.

I just looked at your thread, and I'm sure yours will be fabulous!

John

Can't believe I never clicked on this thread before. Very nice work! I love the look you've crafted for your car. It's a great mix of new and old.

A quick update:

Steve and I went to Chesh's place to collect more air-conditioning parts. I bought all the parts from a 265 which Max has as a parts car for his 245 project.

Roger saved me a lot of work by carefully removing all of the a/c compenents, and the dashboard, from the 265. He talked me through the ins and outs of 240 air-conditioning.... this is a man who really knows his stuff having worked with refrigeration in the past, and fitted a/c to two 240s. It was massively useful to be guided through the parts, electrics, gasses and alternative methods of fitting. This hour has saved me days of research, and probably mistakes on the installation - so many thanks Roger!

Chesh also, very kindly, donated some new 940 condensors, so I now have a choice of 740 or 940 for my installation

DSC_0280.jpg

There's always fun things happening at Chesh's place...
DSC_0278.jpg

... today he was fitting a new sunroof in Mark's 940
DSC_0279.jpg

More soon!

John

Hi,

Today I was mocking up air con parts.
DSC_0284.jpg

The 740 condenser seems to be the best candidate. It's a good fit and I can bend the outlets enough to accommodate the pipes. I'll need to contact Roger to find out if the condenser be used either way up. And, if it has to be fitted the correct way - which is the top!
DSC_0287.jpg

I will need to get pipes made up, at least those to join the 940 compressor into the rest of the system - which a blend of 242, 265 and 740!
DSC_0286.jpg

Finally, because all these photos of parts are a bit boring, here's one Nick took, with his Saab 9000, during the trip to Mitch's.
245and9000atfraserburgh.jpg

Cheers

John

A quick update:

The 245 had another road-trip last weekend, down to Rustington on the South Coast for a reunion of my partner's university friends. All went well, although I was ill part of the time with a chest infection.

Also, I noticed that this 244 on ebay had an early front spoiler, so I made an offer and bought it today - just the spoiler!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380895261344?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Fitting it to my car, so I can return Steve's loan spoiler.

DSC_0318.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

I saw a couple of interesting cars on the drive to Derby; the Chevy (I think it's a Chevy?) was close to home in Huddersfield and I had a quick chat with the driver - he says he likes 240s!

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

All for now

John

Hi

I am just about to order a cable-x unit from Abbott in the US, to allow me to drive a cable speedometer from an electrical sender.

This was a good excuse to test out my R-sport speedo with a cable and the electric drill!

[Click for the video, and you may need to scroll down]

Cheers

John

Back