• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone dislike Amazon front turn lamps?

NONHOG

equal opportunity car guy
Ours are in o.k. shape but I just always thought they look like an afterthought.
However my wife thinks they are perfect. I've seen a few custom jobs but very few that had an "original" look.

I bought 55-57 Chevy truck lamps but feel they are too big.
Ideas on using something from a similar vintage car?

Attachments

• lights 008TB.jpg
    lights 008TB.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 391
Didn't the early cars use a kind of cone-shaped turn signal similar to those? I've seen pictures of them on Amazons and I wouldn't think they're all retrofits.

I don't think those truck lamps look that bad. They would look better if the trim ring was shaped more like the one around the headlight though.

From what I've seen. The PV had small round lights that would work. But getting them?
(nice ones)

I walked the Goodguys Hot Rod show last summer with lamps in mind. The classic US built cars have stuff so cheap. I was hoping to see something, but didn't.

I have seen a P1800 lamp on an Amazon. Looked good.
I like the earlier 122 smaller lamps better also, but prices are nuts. At least the newer style ones are. Found clear lenses that would work with the factory lamp, they looked good but $90 bucks each lens. Holy cow!

Didn't the early cars use a kind of cone-shaped turn signal similar to those? I've seen pictures of them on Amazons and I wouldn't think they're all retrofits.

supposedly a 56. Smaller but not coned shaped?

Attachments

• 014118_4-lg.jpg
    014118_4-lg.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 386
I am working on just making a lens that fits the original trim that doesnt poke out.... just a piece of plexiglas that follows the fender. I did see one that had 1800 marker lights grafted onto the front....
Volvo_Amazon_custom.jpg

I went with clear lenses to make them less obvious. Skandix items, they look decent. Round turn signals would be very cool, I agree.

The round signal in the original post might look good, if it were centered along the headlight/fender/nose seam.

It looks crooked being off to the side.

The round signal in the original post might look good, if it were centered along the headlight/fender/nose seam.

That was the issue I had with going round... have to shave the original holes and move them towards the grill. That seam would make it easy to do though.

Old Honda motorcycle reflectors.....What does the diameter need to be?
Not sure. But M/C parts may be a good place to look.

I went with clear lenses to make them less obvious. Skandix items, they look decent. Round turn signals would be very cool, I agree.

Pics?

That was the issue I had with going round... have to shave the original holes and move them towards the grill. That seam would make it easy to do though.

I agree. Its just sitting there, not sold on that lamp so I'm not going to cut it or the car yet.
Maybe I can gut the lamp and center it, worth a shot?
I have looked at MG's and other euro cars hoping to find something popular enough that would have a more subtle lamp. Doesn't have to be round. Round does seem appropriate.

2nd thought the P1800 ones seem too large also. IMO

Attachments

• 7928414648_b9eccfd017_b.jpg
    7928414648_b9eccfd017_b.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 358
I agree. Its just sitting there, not sold on that lamp so I'm not going to cut it or the car yet.
Maybe I can gut the lamp and center it, worth a shot?
I have looked at MG's and other euro cars hoping to find something popular enough that would have a more subtle lamp. Doesn't have to be round. Round does seem appropriate.

I'll see if I can find my acrylic (plexiglas) lenses that I am working out... they might be up your alley :cool:

PV's have little round front turn signals. Not that it matters to have a Volvo part on it vs. anything else.

I think that style is somewhat common among older Euro (or at least Brit) smaller cars. The round lense just pops into the rubber housing. I think if you look around you can find versions with the same diameter base, plastic or glass, clear or amber, pointy or rounded or flat.

The more we looked at the lights last night, the more we thought having them directly under the lights would then place them too close to the grills. The slope of the grill opening allows the offset. (so hard to say w/o actually cutting and placing them)
Its turning into my boys car, so I try real hard not to force any of my opinions on him.
So no need to rush, not bringing it to XXX this weekend, but we may just do this.
No afraid to seal up the factory hole. Have spare fenders, if it doesn't work out. :)

THIS

And a flashing flush side marker near the fender emblem maybe just a dot with minimal trim.

Or semaphores!

Those little beehive lights used on the 544 are really common with older british cars and even older american cars. I would be tempted to drive out to Port Townsend some day and dig through boxes at Bergstrom's until you find something just the right size or find a better idea.

When I had my 122 I was intending to use the 7" round headlights with the integrated turn signal in the top that the VW people love. Never bought any but did test fit a set I borrowed and they looked nice.

I wonder how the 122 would look with fake foglight amber turn signals like the old w108 Mercedes? Cleans up the sheetmetal but then clutters the bumper. Couldn't see them from the side at all though.

Back