• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mike K? ruin another volvo. 945 pickup build

That's pretty bad ass. I'm enjoying watching this, and it seems like you guys are having a ball with it.

So far so good in terms of keeping it a good time! Actually having to force myself to motivate on the 242 because this project is in a much more fun stage.

I sliced up the d-pillars from the donor car so they laid on top of the rear cab pillars. The idea is to pull the d-pillar out so it is in line with the body lining we are creating with the top of the bed (and carrying back from the front fenders). This way the rear of the cab and the bed will blend in rather than have an odd step out.

iMN7HCM.jpg

3f6uR5r.jpg

Will have to see how it works out. It shouldn't be too hard to blend the piece in

4J3OV9Z.jpg

Also did some initial 'proof of concept' work on the tailgate. Couple of requirements:
- we don't want a big flat piece of sheetmetal across the back of the car, so it should use the lower section of a tailgate.
- needs extend out so it doesn't hit the bumper and so it's far enough out that the back wheel of my dirt bike can sit on it.
- needs to be strong enough to be stepped on while loading the bike/having the bike on it.

I ended up buying a pair of industrial drawer slides rated for 500lbs. Plan is to build a steel frame and mount it to the slides and use the aluminum tailgate as a facade. Drawer slides will have a bushing welded to them, which will ride on a long shouldered seatbelt bolt bolted to the body.

Drawer slides tacked in, pivot point set in a bit.
MeqK3Mm.jpg

tacked a frame together
Ar6GG7g.jpg

So the gate will lift up, pivot out and extend.
o1jHWOF.jpg

naQqjtm.jpg

It works awesome!

I brought in the tailgate from the parts car and stripped it down. Because the steel frame is set inwards a bit, the tailgate sits right in where it does normally

ZA1paSw.jpg

It lined up really well, and should work out perfectly. We'll finish framing out the steel, then make short brackets and just mount the whole lower half of the tailgate to it.

5c729i8.jpg

finally got our load of steel.

BRU4RnD.jpg

shape of the bed rail

xUGpRx2.jpg

can kind of start seeing how the bed will look

ufhGZ7k.jpg

and how the d-pillar and top of the bed will line up and look more complete

VIwwsFC.jpg

Lots more welding to do. Might have to take a couple weeks off for the 242, but I'll be driving this thing this summer for sure.

Really nice work with the tailgate, that's a pretty trick setup to accomplish all your objectives.

Very cool tailgate concept! And great progress lately. I'm still watching with genuine interest.

So excited to see this in person when it's all done.

Lemme take pictures of it when it is!

Also, any idea on paint?

Thanks guys

Excellent work mike,could see your viggen in the last pic

Yeah that poor thing just lives its life unwashed going back and forth to work. I bought a set of Konis and front end overhaul materials for it but haven't given it the time yet.

So excited to see this in person when it's all done.

Lemme take pictures of it when it is!

Also, any idea on paint?

Yeah we've been talking about paint. It'll probably be in primer the first time you see it :) I don't hate the original green, but don't love it either (kinda boring). It'd save us having to cut in edges or worry about the engine bay. Has Volvo ever done any non-metallic greys? I tend to like single stage non-metallics. Idk... open to suggestion!

Thanks guys

Yeah that poor thing just lives its life unwashed going back and forth to work. I bought a set of Konis and front end overhaul materials for it but haven't given it the time yet.

Yeah we've been talking about paint. It'll probably be in primer the first time you see it :) I don't hate the original green, but don't love it either (kinda boring). It'd save us having to cut in edges or worry about the engine bay. Has Volvo ever done any non-metallic greys? I tend to like single stage non-metallics. Idk... open to suggestion!
Scion Cement Gray?
2011%2BScion%2BtC%2B2DE%2BHB%2BAT.jpeg

Dammit that's the color I want to paint my 242, we can't be samsies! Lol

Either that or the nice gray that the new wranglers come in, it's like the color of wet cement

Hmm wonder how that'd look. We'll see how I like it in primer gray and go from there!

Finished welding the bottom of the rear un-doors.

HrCzHvk.jpg

and did more lead work on the seam. Thrilled with the results, this was the best work so far. Definitely getting our technique down. Helps to have two sets of hands - Senior runs the torch and the stick of lead, I run the paddle!

dPPtvIc.jpg

L47li6D.jpg

We've started in on the template making process for the rear floor/shelf stuff. So next progress will be on finishing off the rear of the cab and figuring out the game plan for the hatch.

Oh, and I finally went and picked up the whole reason I started this thing... new bike!!

yUoKmAJ.jpg

I'd vote for Audi Nimbus Grey with an oxblood or hazelnut leather interior :)

I was beside one of those Civics at a light just yesterday -- pretty sure that Honda color is metallic/pearl. You have to have it in the sun/direct light to see it - but definitely not a non-metallic. Haven't been able to look close enough at the Audi to tell whether that is or not, but it's a good looking color....if you like gray. Only mention it because I think the OP expressed a preference for non-metallics. Harder and harder to come by on new cars these days. Audi had a nice non-metallic 2-shades-lighter-than-battleship gray back in the 70's. I had an old 100LS in that color.

Back