• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Xemodex ETM no reprogramming?

oldnfast

My 2000 v70xc needs a ETM and there?s nothing local so I went on eBay. Opinions vary between the sellers if it?ll need to be reprogrammed. A seller in Oregon has a rebuilt unit from Xemodex and claims they do not require reprogramming. Anyone with knowledge on these things?
Thanks

They don't require programming. It might require some sort of self-calibration routine though that you can perform yourself. I have only installed one on a '04 S60 2.5T.

They don't require programming. It might require some sort of self-calibration routine though that you can perform yourself. I have only installed one on a '04 S60 2.5T.

Thanks for your reply. The one you installed on the s60 was that used? It appears when you buy from them they require model year and vin# which may imply they program it? Then how would the ETM on offer work in another car? I?m thinking I should just stay with owning 740/940?s!

It was purchased directly from xemodex.

They may want the VIN just to make sure you get the right ETM.

I have always stayed away from the '99 and up P80 models because of the additional electronics.

Last edited:
You don't program a throttle body. It would be the engine control module that may need an idle learn reset, or similar.

Even after cleaning a throttle body the ECU may get confused and have idle issues. It compensates over time for carbon build up. On my 2005 Nissan I cleaned the throttle and needed a scan tool to relearn the idle since it idled high and threw a code too.

In your case I would just install it and see what happens. You may get lucky.

You don't program a throttle body. It would be the engine control module that may need an idle learn reset, or similar.

Even after cleaning a throttle body the ECU may get confused and have idle issues. It compensates over time for carbon build up. On my 2005 Nissan I cleaned the throttle and needed a scan tool to relearn the idle since it idled high and threw a code too.

In your case I would just install it and see what happens. You may get lucky.

Incorrect. The 99-~03 used an ETM (Electronic throttle body) which does require software. Xemodex can program the ETM with your VIN. I have successfully swapped ETMs between cars sometimes. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

~04 and up use an ETA (electronic throttle actuator). These ones do not require software but do require a calibration.

Jordan

You can swap ETMs, but there are Limits. IIRC NA to NA, Turbo to Turbo, seems to be the highest success. There are threads on internet with some more info.

Xmodex comes pre-programmed, but I think are limited like the rest on swaps. Give them a call and see if they know anything.

You can swap ETMs, but there are Limits. IIRC NA to NA, Turbo to Turbo, seems to be the highest success.

This^ BUT I've had ZERO success with N/A (Denso) cars. Those strictly get new "virgin" ETM
from Volvo, and fresh software reload.

If the Xemodex ETM is confirmed from a Turbo car, and going into a Turbo car, and it's not shot (they do also go bad), it will work, plug 'n play.

Ok I purchased a Xemodex that was less than 2 years old and installed today. It went well and sure enough it doesn?t require reprogramming. Even before the failed ETM went really bad the car still didn?t run as smoothly as I would have liked or expected. This is after a thorough stage zero including new Bosch coils and oem plugs. I now suspect the original ETM was probably not ideal all along
Thanks for helpful replies
Also the car was running so smooth and quite I accidentally started the car while it was already running!

Back