home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #251
Tfest
Hipsters ruin everythingô
 
Tfest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vantuckys Finest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstar View Post
Cool, I need to explore out there more. I've gone our Lower River Rd a few times and enjoyed it
I've lived here my entire life, there's a ton of hidden gems around here. Once the world opens back up all of us vancouver people should meet up at the Brickhouse for a beer/volvo meet. The owner, Steve, is a super rad dude and supports car culture.
Tfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #252
patrickstar
Board Member
 
patrickstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfest View Post
I've lived here my entire life, there's a ton of hidden gems around here. Once the world opens back up all of us vancouver people should meet up at the Brickhouse for a beer/volvo meet. The owner, Steve, is a super rad dude and supports car culture.
I would love to, I cruised my van to Brickhouse once or twice this summer to grab some food. I mentioned it in the OT PNW chat, but the coffee shop I go to (Brewed Cafe & Pub downtown) is owned by a Volvo guy. A Volvo cars & coffee would be fun
__________________
1983 242 - 4.8/AR5
1980 242 - Daily
1980 242 - Shell


@beige242 on instagram
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:18 PM   #253
patrickstar
Board Member
 
patrickstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Default

Spent some time this morning finishing up the rear suspension. BNE hybrid torque rods, panhard, Billy HDs, B&G lowering springs







Put the Epsilons on, I'm thinking I'll want a spacer in the rear.



Installed the STS heater core port as well, I'm not running HVAC right now but I wanted to get it installed while the dash was out. Eventually I'm going to swap in a universal JEGS heater core, just for defrost and stuff
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:34 AM   #254
LC4CARL
Aero challenged
 
LC4CARL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, WA
Default

Fancy heater core bits.
__________________


@PDXvolvo on IG
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:40 AM   #255
patrickstar
Board Member
 
patrickstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
Fancy heater core bits.
Grabbed it during the christmas sale, I thought it would make my life easier later on
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:32 PM   #256
tibboy12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Vancouver, WA
Default

Here for the inside scoops!
tibboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:07 PM   #257
patrickstar
Board Member
 
patrickstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibboy12 View Post
Here for the inside scoops!
Ayyy welcome to the forums Namgyal!
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:59 PM   #258
patrickstar
Board Member
 
patrickstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Default

I had been having issues for weeks that the LS wasn't running correctly. Driver side bank wasn't firing, which was causing a super rich condition and backfiring. I checked all the usual suspects (grounds for the Terminator X, injectors, plugs, wires, coils, etc) and everything was fine! Finally, I found a facebook post that sounded like my issue where the guy had installed his coil sub-harness wrong. I thought back to a few summers ago when I painted my coil brackets, ran out to the shop and the driver side coil harness was installed backward. Flipped it around and it runs perfect now!

I'm a lot more motivated to get it on the ground now that it idles. I need to torque all the rear suspension stuff, find some wheels/tires, and finish wiring the taillights. Hoping for a real test drive in early march
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:07 AM   #259
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

Neat!
__________________


Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:57 AM   #260
patrickstar
Board Member
 
patrickstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Default





After four years of owning this car and two years of working on the LS swap, I have driven my 242 under its own power for the first time. It was incredible.

Still a lot of loose ends to clean up. I need to install the B&G springs and billy HDs up front. Need to wire my e-fan. Clean up the fuel lines under the car.

This might be a stupid question, but can I take it in to a shop for an alignment with all the Kaplhenke stuff in the rear? I feel like no one is going to touch it, but I'd like it to be aligned by a professional and get everything torqued down.
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #261
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

Congrats!

For an alignment you will have to take it to a specialist and pay more than at a regular shop. I have lifetime alignments at firestone and they will align the front end no problem but with all the adjustable stuff out back it still pulls.

I know of Trackside in Vanport and AR in Tigard. Maybe English Racing can point you in the right direction for Vancouver-based shops...
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #262
patrickstar
Board Member
 
patrickstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Congrats!

For an alignment you will have to take it to a specialist and pay more than at a regular shop. I have lifetime alignments at firestone and they will align the front end no problem but with all the adjustable stuff out back it still pulls.

I know of Trackside in Vanport and AR in Tigard. Maybe English Racing can point you in the right direction for Vancouver-based shops...
Thanks Harald!

English Racing was who I had in mind since they're out in the Camas area where my shop is. Might give them a call tomorrow and see if they can suggest anyone.
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:32 PM   #263
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt
 
Duder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Default

Inspiring stuff! I hadn't seen your thread in a while but just went through the whole thing. I can definitely relate to having a long-term project while simultaneously getting caught up in "quick" side projects, random purchases, flips, etc. Happens a lot.

Here in the LA area (South Bay to be more precise) there's a shop called West End Alignment which is run by one guy and his son, both road racer types, who use old-school manual alignment tools and techniques. They end up doing the alignment on pretty much everyone's track day cars, projects, etc. I've taken quite a few weird cars there and they are never fazed by anything that can be adjusted with hand tools. They make you sit in your car while it's on their 4-post lift and hold the steering wheel dead straight so it's no one's fault but your own if it's off center Maybe there's someone like that in the greater Portland area - my advice would be to talk to local trackday champions and racers to see who they use.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/west-end-alignment-gardena
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:29 PM   #264
patrickstar
Board Member
 
patrickstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Inspiring stuff! I hadn't seen your thread in a while but just went through the whole thing. I can definitely relate to having a long-term project while simultaneously getting caught up in "quick" side projects, random purchases, flips, etc. Happens a lot.

Here in the LA area (South Bay to be more precise) there's a shop called West End Alignment which is run by one guy and his son, both road racer types, who use old-school manual alignment tools and techniques. They end up doing the alignment on pretty much everyone's track day cars, projects, etc. I've taken quite a few weird cars there and they are never fazed by anything that can be adjusted with hand tools. They make you sit in your car while it's on their 4-post lift and hold the steering wheel dead straight so it's no one's fault but your own if it's off center Maybe there's someone like that in the greater Portland area - my advice would be to talk to local trackday champions and racers to see who they use.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/west-end-alignment-gardena
Thank you! I was just looking through your build thread as well and was thinking how similar ours were. Long term, no rush, it'll be finished when its finished. Yours is much more complex though... Love the way its turning out.

Good call on local alignment shops, there must be someone out here who will take it on. I have mondays off so I'm going to spend some time tomorrow trying to find someone.
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:13 PM   #265
Josh
Board Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Default

I’ve had great experiences with alignments from A&T / Trackside. I take shop cars there all the time and all my personal stuff too, modified or stock. They always have some sweet rally cars you can check out while you wait.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:27 AM   #266
LC4CARL
Aero challenged
 
LC4CARL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, WA
Default

Trackside.


LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:00 AM   #267
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Nice man! Thatís awesome the car is up and running!

100% take your car to Trackside. They build some sweet vintage rally cars there, and are not afraid of adjustable links.
Do you still need to set your pinion angle up? If so, might be better to do that before, or accept the fact that you might tweak the rear alignment as you get it dialed in.

Kyle (alignment guy) can even talk to you about what you want from the car and set it up for that, he has a few volvos as well and is very familiar with them. They do all the alignments on the rally cars I work on, my personal DDs, and the drift car.
__________________
Cult Person. Pissing in your Kool-Aid.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:22 AM   #268
patrickstar
Board Member
 
patrickstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Iíve had great experiences with alignments from A&T / Trackside. I take shop cars there all the time and all my personal stuff too, modified or stock. They always have some sweet rally cars you can check out while you wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
Trackside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Nice man! Thatís awesome the car is up and running!

100% take your car to Trackside. They build some sweet vintage rally cars there, and are not afraid of adjustable links.
Do you still need to set your pinion angle up? If so, might be better to do that before, or accept the fact that you might tweak the rear alignment as you get it dialed in.

Kyle (alignment guy) can even talk to you about what you want from the car and set it up for that, he has a few volvos as well and is very familiar with them. They do all the alignments on the rally cars I work on, my personal DDs, and the drift car.

Sounds like we have consensus from the local guys, I'll give them a call today!

I will need to dial in my pinion angle, although I didn't feel any weird vibrations the other day. I only got it up to 3rd gear though, so need to do some more testing there.

Either way, happy to hear they have a good reputation with Volvo guys. I got tired of shops in Walla Walla not wanting to touch it because "we don't work on those foreign cars"
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #269
joel142
Board Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

Congratulations!

Sweet to see that green on white number plate on there! I have a set on the '71 (for testing and driving to car events...of course). When it was on the road it seemed like every 20-something cop pulled me over (a) to BS about the car and (b) because none of them were old enough to recognized it as a valid plate.
__________________
'71 142E, M41, Corbeau GT seats, iPd bars and springs, Nardi wheel, GT gauges, overmatched KYB Gas-A-Justs, Canisto wheels, 7" and Series 175 Cibies
'95 T5-R, yellow, M56H swap
joel142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:57 PM   #270
patrickstar
Board Member
 
patrickstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel142 View Post
Congratulations!

Sweet to see that green on white number plate on there! I have a set on the '71 (for testing and driving to car events...of course). When it was on the road it seemed like every 20-something cop pulled me over (a) to BS about the car and (b) because none of them were old enough to recognized it as a valid plate.
I think they go really well with the beige, but I'm not sold on running them. I'm thinking about a (corny) custom plate for it. We'll see, registration is on the long laundry list of things it needs before "road legal".



On that topic, I ran it to the closest gas station today. It runs pretty well and sounds good, and the transmission feels incredible with the short shift and solid trans mount. However, I'm having some small issues that I need to figure out before I can start trusting it:

-Idles high, ~2200rpm. I think its an IAC issue. Hopefully my tuner can iron it out, but it may be a mechanical issue

-Battery isn't charging. ECU shows ~14.7v while driving, but the car just won't start after I drive it around
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:25 AM   #271
LC4CARL
Aero challenged
 
LC4CARL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, WA
Default

Iíve got two alternators on the shelf it you need one.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #272
patrickstar
Board Member
 
patrickstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
Iíve got two alternators on the shelf it you need one.
Thanks Carl, I'm not sure if they'll fit on the LS or not. I'm thinking its an issue with my battery (hoping it is)
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:24 PM   #273
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

does your car use the 2- or 4-pin voltage regulator connector?
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:47 PM   #274
patrickstar
Board Member
 
patrickstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
does your car use the 2- or 4-pin voltage regulator connector?
4-pin. I'm running the Sloppy Mechanic alternator harness which plugs into the Terminator X harness.
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #275
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

Bet it's something dumb like the low wattage light bulb signal missing.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.