• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Criticize my 300 whp setup

pwaes

Almost completed and running but stilll have some room for last minute changes or upgrades:

92 b230f
Ported and flowed 531 head
Stock intake
Ck1 camshaft
Browntops
90+ ported manifold
T04e .60 turbo. (Not a garrett but a proven motorsports aftermarket version)
Stock intercooler
Lh 2.4 TLAO chips

Full 3 inch with v-band exhaust

For tranny it has a volvo m90, flat flywheel and 850 t5r clutch. Suspension was already lowered and koni's (yellow) on four corners.

Going to upgrade the brakes to v70nn calipers and xc90 discs.

When everything runs will slowly turn up the boost but for now i'm curious and open for your thoughts what it will put down more or less. Or what should be altered :nod:

Two suggestions:

1. Ditch the intercooler for something better. It'll pay major dividends
2. I don't think browntops will be enough fuel.

Otherwise should be a pretty good setup.

This.

Stock intercooler will burst before you flow 300hp out of it.
Also, brown tops might, might make it. They'd be pretty much maxed out though.

I'm going to be selling my 3x12x20 inch core Intercooler soon

Intercooler is good for 300whp, far far from ideal and will require a lot more effort to get there. Ditch it and go with a bar and plate (not tube and fin).

Browntop's as said will be to small for sure, browntops with a 4 bar (42lb/hr) some people have put down 260-280whp so they claim. Most recommend 46-65lb injectors for a safe 300whp.

While the ported 90+ helps it is still a huge restriction, most people see a 20-30whp gain from ditching it with some kind of aftermarket manifold (it really is worth the effort).

Stock intake while it has been done more than a few times 300whp (myself included) if you want to do it right go aftermarket.

With the M90 you will put down better numbers than most but there is still a lot to gain in your setup.

Well that's pretty like minded :-)

Regarding the intercooler. Nathan you've got a pm. Why should i go with a bar and plate, any specific arguments besides that it is more heat efficient? And should a NPR do the job? I almost snatched one of ebay (uk) last month but was to late. But intercooler is a bottleneck, thats for sure.

Regarding the brown tops, they will be maxed out before the rest of the setup. Does only swapping injectors take care of the problem? I know from the fb thread that the tlao chips can handle a lot of different injectors, but any recommendations here? I live in the Netherlands so US options are a bit harder for me to buy thanoptions in Europe.

And does the stock fuel pomp handle these kind of big injectors around 280-300 whp?

One thing to consider: Try an EVO VIII or IX stock intercooler. With a little bit of modding it fits perfectly. If you choose to move it close to the front grill takes a bit more effort, but if you choose to install it at the stock position, you just have to turn it upside down and bolt it more or less..

It is 7cm thick bar and plate aluminum one, and nicely designed ! It should hold up to 500hp engines.

Evo intercoolers are tube and fin. Unless you have one just laying around, it would be better to get one of the ebay bar and plate intercoolers.

Poik ... i just installed one. It is bar and plate.

Here it is

It is like the top one HERE which is bar and plate. Maybe older versions were as you said

If it was tube and fin would be much more expensive than is :)

Here is another solution

I could be wrong as I don't have one in front of me, but I am still pretty sure that the OE intercooler (the one you linked to) is tube and fin, at least in the US market, but I do not know why that would be any different between markets.

Well .. if i get the chance i will take some pics of it. I don't think it is market dependent though either. Probably version dependent.
Anywayz, it fits nicely, and its much better than the old fashioned Volvo IC ;-) And has the option to be front mounted! Just for anyone who wants to try..

I've never looked in to that do88 IC. Looks nice !

Anyone running one?

AND it is 100% plug and play :) but is quite expensive :(

Back