• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Analysis of EZK ignition system.

ZVOLV

<Master Tech>
Crank sensor is a Variable Reluctance Sensor and it sends a signal to the EZK ignition computer:

picture.php

The EZK ignition computer sends a 5v square wave to the ignition power stage to control dwell and timing:

picture.php

The powerstage grounds the ignition coil. Primary voltage can exceed 400 volts!:

picture.php

Then after that, Secondary Ignition occurs!!! This is a trace of Secondary Ignition Voltage (Kilovolts) along with Primary Ignition Current (Amps):

picture.php

The EZK receives a load signal from the fuel computer. That, along with RPM, coolant temp, and the knock sensor input, is used to control timing.

Ah, the eighties. A separate computer each for spark and fuel.

The weird dual coolant temp sensor is a neat artifact of that
scheme.

The fuel computer gets RPM data from the EZK, correct?

Maybe Zach will have a chance to stick his oscilloscope on the
load signal between the computers. I bet that would be
interesting. I'm going to guess it's a 5v PWM square wave.

It's been a few years since I looked at the traces. If I remember correctly, the EZK sends a 50% duty square wave to the fuel computer with the rising edge denoting an ignition event and the fuel computer sends a variable duty, fixed frequency wave back to the EZK to indicate load.

The fuel computer gets RPM data from the EZK, correct?

Yes. I think it's just a square wave that increases frequency with RPM. I forget. I have researched it before. Gotta redo my work.

Maybe Zach will have a chance to stick his oscilloscope on the
load signal between the computers. I bet that would be
interesting. I'm going to guess it's a 5v PWM square wave.

There are THREE wires that connect EZK and LH box.

1: RPM signal FROM EZK box to LH box. The crank sensor signal goes direct to EZK box. It converts it likely to a square wave that gets sent over to LH box.

2. KNOCK signal FROM EZK box to LH box. This one I think is just an increasing voltage. Again, I lost my data. Please help me out.

3. Third wire. LOAD signal from LH box to EZK box.

SEEEE!?: Pins 17, 8, and 4 on the EZK go to 1, 25, and 28 on the LH box. Help me remember what they are and do. I gotta hit IPDdowns? website again. He broke it down, but it was kinda hard to understand and needed more info.

Here it is:

http://ipdown.net/wiki/index.php/EZK#Knock_control

I guess I could slap the old high end scopometer to each of these three wires on my time off and see what they look like with a modern scope. The publications are decades old and assume a tech has just a crappy multimeter. Technology is better now and so I go by waveform analysis instead of some obscure voltage reading on a 30 year old chart!

Back