• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Stripping a 940 16V

S70T5fivespeed

Its always 7:4O somewhere
Planning on picking up a 91 940GLE 16V auto to strip. It has been owned by someone who keeps up with maintenance so not neglected/trash. It has the integrated front fog lights.

I don?t have a 940. My dad has a 740 16V M46. I have too many 8V 7s (I know even one is too many) and one that may could use an AW71 in the near future.

Trying to determine what parts are transferable, and if it would have specific combo of parts based on the year/model (Specifically rear axle/ratio/trans - would this be the locking version?)

Also I assume the engine would be the same as the 740 16V? (9 is 91 7 is 90)

I don?t have the car yet to confirm any labels, and understand sometimes these cars can have lots of random components so this may be a futile ask atm.

If anyone has expertise/advice it would be appreciated. Thank you!

If you plan on using complete engine, you will need the engine crossmember. The rear end has 4.10 gears. It's possible it will have a g80 but it would be easy to pop diff cover off to make sure. 16v auto will have an aw72.

Thanks 855. For the engine thinking would just take to have spares of whatever for the 90 16V 7. It wouldn’t be a straight up full swap.

Also for glass is it just the back 3 windows that are different?

Thanks Z. VW if I grab it will let you know. The trans being different kinda messes me up as that was the one thing I thought I could use immediately, everything else would just be spare stuff.

Thanks Z. VW if I grab it will let you know. The trans being different kinda messes me up as that was the one thing I thought I could use immediately, everything else would just be spare stuff.

AW72 should be the same length as a 71 and be as strong if not stronger along with the lockup torque converter.

I just grabbed a 1989 740 GLE and parted it out in one day at the shop. I'm planning to turbo the engine and put it in my 1990 740. I'm using the cross member, booster, engine, and throttle cable. Its a bolt in swsp, except for the exhaust.

Back