• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Key cutting from VIN

intothelabyrinth

I was reading through the forms about this and saw where I think Kjets on a plane can do this. I tried sending him a message, but he has too many stored messages, so it wouldn't send! The long short of it is I have been looking for a shell for my B230FT project, and I found a red 1988 245 in a field. I tracked down the owner and procured the wagon, but there are no keys! I haven't gotten all the paperwork done yet so I really have no documents proving my ownership. It's in the works... But I need to tow this old gal home and I need to unlock the steering to do so. Getting a VIN cut key sounds like the path of least resistance. If it can't be done I suppose my next plan of action will be to just try to pull the ignition lock off, to unlock the steering to tow it. Then grab the passenger lock cylinder and take it to a local locksmith to see if they can try to cut a key from that.

****Kjets on a plane you on here bro??***

It's not that hard to take off the steering lock. You'll need dremel screwdriver & vice grips vice grips to remove the shear off screws. You can replace them with regular screws when putting everything back together. Ordering a key takes a bit and it's not always a good fit. Just got a freebie extra key from the dealership for my 92 and it's not quite right. Probably needs a file taken to it.

Last edited:
I was reading through the forms about this and saw where I think Kjets on a plane can do this. I tried sending him a message, but he has too many stored messages, so it wouldn't send! The long short of it is I have been looking for a shell for my B230FT project, and I found a red 1988 245 in a field. I tracked down the owner and procured the wagon, but there are no keys! I haven't gotten all the paperwork done yet so I really have no documents proving my ownership. It's in the works... But I need to tow this old gal home and I need to unlock the steering to do so. Getting a VIN cut key sounds like the path of least resistance. If it can't be done I suppose my next plan of action will be to just try to pull the ignition lock off, to unlock the steering to tow it. Then grab the passenger lock cylinder and take it to a local locksmith to see if they can try to cut a key from that.

****Kjets on a plane you on here bro??***

Just take the passenger side door lock down to your local locksmith and have them cut a key. It is usually cheaper than having the dealer cut a key from the VIN.

I had a glove box lock cut to my vin for the car via a dealer. That was $105 a few years ago. This inicluded the glove box lock and one key cut to the vin. The lock works with my original key so it has worked out well. I used Tasca to do this.

Would the glove box lock have all the tumblers in it? That's easy to grab... The passenger lock isn't too bad to grab either I reckon. This is going to happen one way or another!

To answer my own question, I took apart an old glove box lock and there were 9 tumblers. I'm going to assume that is the same as the ignition and doors! I'll see for sure this week!

o0yNCiUl.jpg

If the car is 86 and newer then the glove box has a master key.

Those models from 86-93 have a valet key and a master key. The master key works the glove box and trunk or wagon floor hatch while the valet key only opens doors and works the ignition. So the glove box is a good choice so you get a master key cut.

I obtained a free key code via a local dealer, in person with the title.
The first code was wrong, but luckily the parts guy was still in & gave the correct code over the phone.

A good locksmith made a perfect key for under $25

I got really lucky in multiple aspects with this acquisition. I was able to make contact with the last registered owner (not the guy who has the wagon in his field) and he actually had a freakin' key! He gave it to me, along with a mint Bently manual. I tried it out and it works. The guy also went out of his way to get a replacement title for me. He is pretty happy someone is going to revive the old gal. The stars are really aligning for me on this one. After the field dries from all the rain we have had lately I will be getting her towed home. Should be Friday.

Back