• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Hubs won't go onto new front spindles

thatcher.hubbard

I took the stock front suspension off of my car today and then got started putting a set of new coil overs on. They're GAZ units I got from Yoshifab. Part of the process was having another board member find me a pair of front spindles from another ABS 240, then having them shipped off to England to get cut/welded to new shock bodies.

The spindles have the same stamp on them as the ones that came off the car: 01. But for some reason I can't get the hubs/bearings to slide onto the "new" spindles. They measure out at 35mm and a hair, both the new and old ones. I can get the hubs to slide back on the original ones from the car.

I don't want to try to force a bearing race onto a spindle, am I just being an idiot here or is this a thing? Should I try to spray some propellant on the spindles to cool them down a bit? I know I don't want to heat up the bearing races because they have to slide on right over a rubber seal.

Taking the suspension apart is easy. First side took me 2 hours, second side took probably 35 minutes.

The bearings do not slide over any seal on a 240. The seal fits onto the spindle with the lip out and a metal retainer in the hub holds the bearing in and gives the seal a surface to go against.

There is some measurement you are missing if the same hub fits one spindle and not another that is supposed to be the same size. Try to measure it a bit more accurately so you can get the size difference. They should be a slide fit. The bearing races do not slide over any seal on a 240. Sometimes you have to clean the surface of the spindle well to get the parts to slide together.

Sorry, I didn't mean that they slide over a seal, just that if you tried to get them on by heating them up, they touch the rubber seal that goes between the spindle and the hub, you might melt it.

The hubs slid right off the original spindles. The surface looks clean, but I'll take pictures of them with the caliper on them tomorrow.

This got resolved. I ended up having to use some super-fine steel wool to clean some overspray off, then using a heat gun on the inside inner bearing race to get them on. Basically, I hit them with the steel wool until it was shiny, then heated the bearings for a couple of minutes with a cheap Wagner heat gun and the slipped on. The crazy thing is that the original ones measured out at 35.06mm and the new ones measured out the same after I got the overspray off but the hubs still wouldn't slide on.

Back