• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Buchka 242 Daily Driver

Still loving this car 4 years in.

I just can't get bored with the thing. It feels like the car and I are in an abusive relationship sometimes but thrashing it around makes all the pain worth it.

+1 Pretty cool you?re making the centers yourself AND the fact they?re going mimic Ronal Turbo wheels in 17x8 form, is awesome. The picture of your 242 and Homers 244 is great, 2 outstanding 240s. Wish I were closer to see these things in person.

Thanks! I can't measure up to Homer's car in a lot of ways. His is polished to the max and is damn near as a good of a driving experience as you can have in a 240. Mine still has a long way to go.

Best 240. Would daily!

I agree, and I do!

I'm excited to watch this axle come together

Same. Did some partial assembly this evening to double check measurements on stuff and I'm now ready to weld up the axle tubes. Also spent a few minutes final installing the ring gear onto the carrier. I'm running a ring gear spacer to make up for the incorrect carrier break LSD I have so I decided to install stronger fasteners than what is generally supplied with a rebuild kit. Probably not necessary but gives me a bit more peace of mind.

ziWbxxCh.jpg

I think you?re on to something with your take on the six spoke wheel.

Indeed!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/9c50AoeJviI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Got the ring and pinion adjusted and final installed.

FJ4Ep3jh.jpg

Welded up the axle tube fixture:

HpKu42Rh.jpg

jm5jTvqh.jpg

Designed and 3d printed a prototype for a proper airbox that uses an OE style paper filter. The final airbox will be printed from carbon fiber filled nylon so it doesn't sag from the heat of the engine.

iAAYTYJh.jpg

7skzgBgh.jpg

Started making real progress on the new wheel centers. Using a synthetic diamond tool for all the finishing ops so the surface finish is A#1 top notch. The backside contour is a spline which leaves a bit of faceting but this surface will be almost completely milled away so not too concerned about it.
As of right now all the turning programs and tooling are proven out and running smoothly. The milling fixture needs a few more little things and then I can start stepping through the milling operations one at a time to prove out the program.

cjc2H0Ih.jpg

JlumW6wh.jpg

dWTyyNKh.jpg

KiY13a2h.jpg

Went to Radwood LA this past week. A guy I never met took this sweet photo of my engine and was nice enough to send me a high res version.

yOcEf1Jh.png

Took the car to a local shop to shoot a Bumper 2 Bumper segment for the Donut Media Youtube channel. The video will be out on Tuesday the 17th of Dec.

kXLsjQHh.jpg

I had seen the post about the ITB setup on a B20 done by the Buchka brothers..but my oh my this is next level. My 144 deserves a better owner than me..:oops:

Took the car to a local shop to shoot a Bumper 2 Bumper segment for the Donut Media Youtube channel. The video will be out on Tuesday the 17th of Dec.

kXLsjQHh.jpg

Car is looking sweet!

Does that guy scream as much in real life as he does on his donut media videos?

Seems it was Nolan who did the video, he's the more calm one lol.

I follow their channel and they got some good/funny/technical content.

Thanks dudes, appreciate the kind words.

Does that guy scream as much in real life as he does on his donut media videos?

It's a role they play. I don't watch their content but I understand the appeal. When the cameras were off everyone involved was very kind and personable.

Are you still having dick problems on the oil pan or did the replacement engine not have the same issue?

Anything that enters the door of the shop is instantly stricken. It's unavoidable.

Just saw the video, haven’t read the whole thread but wanted to say great car amazing work.

Also, i bet theres around a 100 guys looking for a 242 right now.

Just saw the video, haven?t read the whole thread but wanted to say great car amazing work.

Also, i bet theres around a 100 guys looking for a 242 right now.

Thanks! Hopefully it will inspire some people to dive into classic volvo ownership

Saw the video today, nicely done!

Thanks Gary!

Donut Media on Youtube shot a video on my car for their "bumper to bumper" segment, basically a build breakdown series. I am not personally a huge fan of their style but figured it would be a fun thing to do.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FWqkDufkqbU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Haven't watched yet but congrats on the publicity, I think it's fun to share the cars outside of our little circle here.

Perceptions of and attention around 242's and old 240s in general has certainly changed in the ten years I've been paying attention.

I'm personally offended, because I was into 240s before they were cool. :cameron:

But I don't self-identify as a hipster - this is now a full-blown existential crisis. I don't even have a beard. What am I doing with my life

Back